Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EnglishinWales

Buy To Holiday-Let

Recommended Posts

I am seeing this touted on a few places on the internet. Presumably would be ordinary BTLers who have heard discouraging things about tenants and think holiday makers are the way to go. Or they are trying to get in on Airbnb. 

Has anyone else seen similar? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from a town which now has tourism as its main source of income, I really don't see how the figures stack up.  Holiday makers expect high quality and pristine. Don't always treat with respect so high maintenance costs plus there are a lot of weeks when people just don't go on holiday, especially in this country.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cumbrian-cottages.co.uk/northern-lakes/keswick-area/greengables-cc111297?adult=2&nights=7&range=0&start=01%2f07%2f2017&availabilityselected=true#cottage-overview

This one was on the market a few weeks ago for 395K. The quoted gross annual income was 24K. I would not be surprised if the net return was 1/2 that which is pretty poor - unless you are banking on continued gains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

https://www.cumbrian-cottages.co.uk/northern-lakes/keswick-area/greengables-cc111297?adult=2&nights=7&range=0&start=01%2f07%2f2017&availabilityselected=true#cottage-overview

This one was on the market a few weeks ago for 395K. The quoted gross annual income was 24K. I would not be surprised if the net return was 1/2 that which is pretty poor - unless you are banking on continued gains.

They say that people are staying at home more rather than holidaying abroad (staycations) but there's a limit to how many self-catering cottages are needed. If holiday let rents drop because of oversupply then the house sits empty and another family is prevented from living there.

 

 

If the housing market is still stagnant next year maybe the chancellor could look at this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy-to-let loans can't legally be used to finance holiday lets because doing so would breach the T&Cs, which generally only allow for Assured Shorthold Tenancies. Using a BTL loan for that purpose would be mortgage fraud, and runs the risk of jail terms, fines, confiscation of the property, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, I have a lot of real and anecdotal experience.

Disclaimer - My mum has a house she lets out. Its has not finance on it. It suits my mum as she can potter to it and clean and manage everything .

There are very few banks or BS that will lend to holiay lets. By that I mean about 2:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/mortgages/11979388/Why-holiday-homes-will-be-the-next-buy-to-let-boom.html

They have very strong reasons for not lending. Unlike BTL, holiday lets have been thru a boom bust cycle. The banks were badly burnt.

Again, any loans on houses not OO are very risky and liable to default.

You will be lucky to get school summer holidays - ~ 15 weeks a years.

Fro the article:

'Their experience is mirrored by another couple, Barry Smith and his wife, Ros, who have enjoyed a gross income of up to £30,000 annually for the past six years after buying two barns near their home, close to the Mendip Hills. Mr Smith said: “It has been a phenomenal success. Over the last six years, we have a track record of 80pc occupancy which has taken me by surprise, as we are not in what you would normally consider a ‘holiday’ location.” '

So thats, 15k per barn, Im not sure what the 80pc is from but if its 80% of 52 = 30 weeks, thats 500/week per barn. Thats not a lot. No price, so cannot comment on the yield.

When i see people saying 'xyz is available' I check the availability. Its not unusual to see 2 weeks at xmas, then nothing til August. Thats a very hard cash flow is theires debt on the house.

HMRC have a rule on that a holiday let must be let x weeks/year. This has been raised in the last couple of years. If you fail to let it those days then there are problems with tax relief - you might need to pay it back.

The cost of maintaining and cleaning a holiday let are very high. Each change over will cost you ~100-150 quid - if you can find anyone willing to work just one day a week. Most places change over Friday or Saturday. Its not unusual for the owner getting a call to say no ones cleaned the house - You have to live ~30 minutes from the place or you'll be having some very long drives at weekends.

How do people buy holiday lets. It appears most take equity/loan out on their OO.

Why do they do it? because they are idiots.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, EnglishinWales said:

They say that people are staying at home more rather than holidaying abroad (staycations) but there's a limit to how many self-catering cottages are needed. If holiday let rents drop because of oversupply then the house sits empty and another family is prevented from living there.

 

 

If the housing market is still stagnant next year maybe the chancellor could look at this issue.

Even with the fall in the pound., most people still go aborad.

The idiots go to Egypt (FFS).

The rest go to Spain.

An all inc. Spanish resort - booze and food is still cheaper than a UK stay.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why there's special buy to holiday let mortgages available. Google it, a few places are offering them

32 minutes ago, Neverwhere said:

Buy-to-let loans can't legally be used to finance holiday lets because doing so would breach the T&Cs, which generally only allow for Assured Shorthold Tenancies.

That's why there's special buy to holiday mortgages/loans available. They are out there. I just wondered what the attraction is considering the current situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, EnglishinWales said:

That's why there's special buy to holiday let mortgages available. Google it, a few places are offering them

That's why there's special buy to holiday mortgages/loans available. They are out there. I just wondered what the attraction is considering the current situation.

Sorry, I misunderstood the OP and thought you were discussing property listings advertised as "buy-to-holiday lets".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EnglishinWales said:

I'm sure I have seen at least one cottage somewhere on rightmove that said something like 'ideal for holiday rental'.

Yep, me too. I guess the attraction is probably that people (incorrectly) see house prices as a one way bet, underestimate the work involved, and perhaps like the idea of a holiday home that they can use themselves in the off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EnglishinWales said:

I'm sure I have seen at least one cottage somewhere on rightmove that said something like 'ideal for holiday rental'.

About 50% of the RM listings near me tend to get the ideal holiday let in somewhere.

I really would not advise buying a holiday let with finance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EnglishinWales said:

That's why there's special buy to holiday let mortgages available. Google it, a few places are offering them

That's why there's special buy to holiday mortgages/loans available. They are out there. I just wondered what the attraction is considering the current situation.

I did google. There are very few available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AIUI as well as being much lower in number they're also nothing like buy-to-let - despite how they may be being marketed - as they require much larger deposits, much lower debt profiles, and sufficient independent income (i.e. from sources other than the holiday let itself) to fully cover monthly repayments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Neverwhere said:

AIUI as well as being much lower in number they're also nothing like buy-to-let - despite how they may be being marketed - as they require much larger deposits, much lower debt profiles, and sufficient independent income (i.e. from sources other than the holiday let itself) to fully cover monthly repayments.

Holiday let mortgages have, roughly, the same risk as BTL mortgages.

The fact that they are a few and far between expensive and require large deposits ought to give you an idea where BTL is going.

And there's no such thing as an IO holiday let mortgage either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Holiday let mortgages have, roughly, the same risk as BTL mortgages.

The fact that they are a few and far between expensive and require large deposits ought to give you an idea where BTL is going.

And there's no such thing as an IO holiday let mortgage either.

Hopefully so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   43 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.