House Price Crash Forum

£24 Per Person Per Night To Camp In The Uk

stuckin2up2down

HOLA441

That's way too much, I know you get more then you did in the 80s but £25 per night is a p1ss take.

However one aside...the £19 room a night Travelodge are now very rare, especially in popular areas, even when booking months in advance. I used to get this back in '08 in a popular area of the UK but you'd be lucky to get a room for less then £40-£50 nowadays and the rest.

HOLA442

We used to camp in France when too piss poor to do anything else. Fantastic municipal sites, tended to be in the best spots and incredibly cheap. Spotless and good basic facilities. Only experiences of camping in this country never worked out well (random nutters) and V expensive in comparison.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I wonder if there is a huge profit in running campsites? I can think of a fair few running costs on the big sites such as employing staff to clean the toilet and shower blocks. The site I recently stayed at had two blocks with 8 toilets, 8 urinals, and 8 showers each for both male and female. That's 32 of each. I saw a team of 8 cleaners. Even at minimum wage for 2 hours that's 8*8*2=£128. The cleaners would also clean the lodges and camping pods on changeover day. There were 1 or 2 staff in reception. One behind the bar and one in the shop. I saw another picking litter and another mowing grass. I expect a full time maintenence person would also be necessary. That's a lot of staff with wages and pensions so to be honest I don't feel robbed at £34 per night high season for 5 people. £25 for a field and no facilities and I might feel different.

HOLA445

Do I get a Harley or a moustache?

I believe the Independent to be rather silly,and probably written by women. Ihave a few gay friends. They do not behave badly!

HOLA446

I wonder if there is a huge profit in running campsites? I can think of a fair few running costs on the big sites such as employing staff to clean the toilet and shower blocks. The site I recently stayed at had two blocks with 8 toilets, 8 urinals, and 8 showers each for both male and female. That's 32 of each. I saw a team of 8 cleaners. Even at minimum wage for 2 hours that's 8*8*2=£128. The cleaners would also clean the lodges and camping pods on changeover day. There were 1 or 2 staff in reception. One behind the bar and one in the shop. I saw another picking litter and another mowing grass. I expect a full time maintenence person would also be necessary. That's a lot of staff with wages and pensions so to be honest I don't feel robbed at £34 per night high season for 5 people. £25 for a field and no facilities and I might feel different.

Probably not, given there's only a handful of weekends with the kind of weather anyone in their right mind would want to go camping in this country!

HOLA447

UK isn't so bad. Wild camping works well, and you get to stay somewhere much nicer than some ghastly campsite. Just exercise commonsense in picking a sensible spot, and don't make yourself obnoxious to anyone who happens to see you.

Germany is far worse for camping. It's (AFAIK) the only place where they have and commonly enforce laws against wild camping, and the official camp sites make ours look positively nice. Better to use B&B.

HOLA448

Probably not, given there's only a handful of weekends with the kind of weather anyone in their right mind would want to go camping in this country!

Exactly. Outside of 6 weeks in summer, 1 week at Whitsun and maybe 2 weeks at Easter (if it's a late one) I expect most sites are at nowhere near capacity. That's 9 weeks in which to make enough to keep going during the off-peak months.

HOLA449

Isn't Scotland full of mosquitoes?

Midgies. Much smaller than mozzies, much lesser bite, but come in great clouds - and thousands of tiny bites add up.

[edit to add] And it's only a couple of months in the year. And at low(ish) altitudes, though staying long-term above them is more practical in continental countries with much higher mountains.

HOLA4410

Midges. Smaller than mosquitoes, get clouds of the horrible little things when it's really bad. Generally find more of them on the western side. Pray for a bit of a breeze, and if camping defintely have a tent with a built-in net (although the last time quite a few of the blighters still got in).

Heh. You got there first with my last post.

I wouldn't bother with a builtin net. In serious midgie weather you're going to be hot and sweating even in the open air, and behind a fine gauze is going to feel really suffocating.

HOLA4411

Heh. You got there first with my last post.

I wouldn't bother with a builtin net. In serious midgie weather you're going to be hot and sweating even in the open air, and behind a fine gauze is going to feel really suffocating.

I was camping on Skye (and nearby) the week before last, putting the tent up in the evening and it was OK, only got hot in the morning when the sun got on it. The one night a load of midges got in anyway was noticably more unpleasant than the others. I think the problem there was that there were a lot of midges around but also a bit of a breeze, so anything sheltered (such as the tent) attracted them in huge numbers as soon as it was opened, even though I was opening the leeward side. They were plastered all over the sheltered outside side too.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

We used to camp in France when too piss poor to do anything else. Fantastic municipal sites, tended to be in the best spots and incredibly cheap. Spotless and good basic facilities. Only experiences of camping in this country never worked out well (random nutters) and V expensive in comparison.

Still quite a cheap municipal site in Calais I believe ...

Calais-Jungle-459487.jpg

Archived