House Price Crash Forum

Door Knockers

HOLA441

theres nothing worse than door knockers.

since i live in this rented flat i realised that its not in your interest to answer your door to anyone you dont know. since being here i noticed its the most door knocked street i have ever lived on. maybe because its benefits ridden, so the local authority think they have a mandate to pry.

i get them all. british gas pushers. poll tax knockers. tv licence knockers. charoty knockers and a bunch of general sales muppets. who i view from my flat as they irritatingly tap tap tappety tap on my door. some are quite persistent. which makes me angry. i dont go rap rapping on their homes.

i was once spotted peeping at a door knocker, so i though - he can p1ss off. i opened up my window and shouted down 'what do you want ?' to which he revealed some charity t-shirt. 'fock off' i shouted and went back to my privacy.

who knows whos called my door since then. perhaps i might have won a £1000 and they couldnt contact me ?

perhaps its something interesting that will benefit me and ive missed out by not answering ?

naw. no one ever knocks on your door who you dont know and brings things to you.

they always knock to take something off you. so i learned, dont answer.

they can all sod off.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Entertaining, but maybe the most tenuous link to house prices yet.....the only connection is that a door knocker is on the front of a house. A bit like a share price discussion board where people are talking about the ink used on the certificates.

maybe we can draw a link from Fred's observation about how the street is the most "harassed" he has ever lived on, whilst being the least prosperous? That is a significant observation...

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

RFD - so true. I have stopped answering the door in daytime, unless expecting a delivery. Same goes for telephone calls (landline) during the day. All wanting to sell something. I always let it go to VM now. Anyone I know will call at night.

Actually, when I looked at the title of your thread, I thought it referred to the fabulous one red paperclip story... 3rd step on that was a door knob! :lol:

Edited by xian

HOLA447
Guest magnoliawalls

maybe we can draw a link from Fred's observation about how the street is the most "harassed" he has ever lived on, whilst being the least prosperous? That is a significant observation...

A few months ago I moved from a relatively poverty stricken area to a posh area (rent is the same) We had noticed that we get much less in the way of door knockers and junk mail.

Do doorknockers really do better in less prosperous areas?

HOLA448

Well doorknockers probably cant get to the wealthier detached homes with 10 foot metal gates and "beware of the leopard" signs :ph34r:

Not to forget CCTV, guard dogs, armed security guards for the upper bracket homes- pretty intimidating i d say.

Edited by trev

HOLA449

xian - register with the Telephone Preference Service to stop this.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

i know of this, and considered it... but, I heard that once on it, it's almost impossible to get yourself off.... they have a VM only support service, and when you leave a vm, they fail to action. Now this is normally not a prob, unless you are a contractor who relies on unsolicited leads!!!! So I don't subscribe and so pay the price on unwanted calls!! :rolleyes:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

RFD - so true. I have stopped answering the door in daytime, unless expecting a delivery. Same goes for telephone calls (landline) during the day. All wanting to sell something. I always let it go to VM now. Anyone I know will call at night.

I find I get the most calls during the evening and weekends :angry: .

Solution: cheap electronic answering machine, and half-truth to family and friends that I can't get to the phone before it cuts through to the machine :lol: . If it's a genuine caller I pick the phone up. One cold caller has left a message in 18 months B) .

HOLA4413

A couple fo years ago I had a job that required a lot of visits to the post office.

Benefits are (or were then) paid over the counter with a book - a bit like a pension. Just like a pension different benefits are paid on different days - I can't recall which days but I think income support/unemployment benefit was paid on a Monday. The que would be out the door at the post office with people queing up for benefits so I would have to stand there for a while watching all this go on.

What I saw was shocking - everytime someone went to the counter to get their money the clerk would try and push a scratch card on them. It must have been policy because it happened everytime "here's your money, would you like a scratch card?"

These are some of the poorest people in society with very little access to bank accounts/credit etc yet here is the Post Office pushing scratch cards on them at a £1 a time every time they cash their benefit.

Talk about cynically preying on the most vulnerable - and this was from the post office not some street punding loan shark.

HOLA4414

A few months ago I moved from a relatively poverty stricken area to a posh area (rent is the same) We had noticed that we get much less in the way of door knockers and junk mail.

I can think of a couple of reasons why:

1. More likely to get an answer during the daytime because of unemployment or shift patterns associated with lower paid jobs.

2. Better off less likely to be interested in what they are selling anyway. Loans etc - no need/can get better rates elsewhere; goods etc - existing likely to be newer anyway so less interest.

3. The less prosperous are TBH likely to be a bit thick & more likely to fall for the sales patter.