House Price Crash Forum

Boomer Bomad Btl Scum

HOLA441

Really? I've travelled to a fair few different countries over the years and nowhere on earth comes close to the bricks and mortar obsession of our insular little island IMO.

I've just been in France, Burgundy region, where a fellow Brit guest remarked to a French neighbour how Brits are obsessed with owning their own homes, whereas the French aren't so bothered.

'But they are!' she said. (Excellent English). 'Of course they are!'

HOLA442

I've just been in France, Burgundy region, where a fellow Brit guest remarked to a French neighbour how Brits are obsessed with owning their own homes, whereas the French aren't so bothered.

'But they are!' she said. (Excellent English). 'Of course they are!'

But that's a key plank of the uk forever hpi argument. Must be wrong!

HOLA443

You want to hear people obsesses with property, talk to Singaporeans or Hong Kongers.

1: do you have a property in country

2: how many properties do you own/want to own in London/Sydney/Auckland/Toronto....

HOLA444

I've posted this elsewhere as well but it seems very relevant here. Apparently this is something of a phenomenon. :blink:

Now 'the bank of mum and dad' props up buy-to-let

One in eight purchases of buy-to-let properties was made using a deposit gifted from parents in the three months to the end of March, according to research by conveyancing company My Home Move...

HOLA445

Of course buying a house especially in the UK where renting is at your own peril, is seen as the better option.

Could the convo have gone more like, silly girl bought a house with the BF, they broke up 11 days later (!) and they had to rent it out as who would buy a house so close to being sold? Silly mare was lucky she made some profit but that's only because of the bonkers market at the moment.

???

You don't need to think ^everyone^ is out to get you. Sometimes people do daft things and get lucky...sometimes not.

HOLA446

Of course buying a house especially in the UK where renting is at your own peril, is seen as the better option.

Could the convo have gone more like, silly girl bought a house with the BF, they broke up 11 days later (!) and they had to rent it out as who would buy a house so close to being sold? Silly mare was lucky she made some profit but that's only because of the bonkers market at the moment.

???

You don't need to think ^everyone^ is out to get you. Sometimes people do daft things and get lucky...sometimes not.

The person telling the story certainly wasnt out to get me but she was definitely very proud of the fact that she chucked 200k at the couple so they could buy. That fact had no relevance to the story... A but like when the daily mail quotes a house price in every article :)

HOLA447

Well my parents are very wealth pensioners, huge 6 bedroom house on a couple of acres. Not a chance in hell of any financial help for us. They also will not consider downsizing, and joyfully told how some Boomer mates said they wanted to be carried out of their home in a coffin with the place crumbling around them. So any inheritance will be a wreck!

Edited by GrizzlyDave