House Price Crash Forum

Using An Alias In Real Life

HOLA441

There are some clever people on this forum and I wonder if any of you have any knowledge or experience or useful opinions on or of, using an alias in real life?

Messing about on Linkedin the other day I discovered an old friend haven't seen for 20+ years was now going by a completely different first and second name. And its not as if he was calling himself Ziggy Stardust or something, but something really nondescript like John Smith or Will Jones.

Apparently this is completely legal as long as you are not using it to commit fraud.

It occurred to me this is a brilliant and simple solution to a problem I have - as in the age of Linkedin and such like, it seems to be impossible rip your life up and start again, or to just get away from looney stalkers.

But at some point my old friend would have had to have asked one of his employers if they minded calling him John Smith from now on?

Or maybe it would be after he was offered the job, is it possible or likely you could say to an employer "I have a problem and it would be really helpful if from now on, I was called John Smith?"

What do you think?

How would you do this?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Using an alias is probably fine for online activities, indeed many do including just about everyone on this forum so as to protect their real-life identity.

I have an application form for C4's "Countdown" and was surprised to see a section which asks what name you would like to be known as on TV. So the contestant's names that you see aren't necessarily their full nor perhaps their real names.

However for jobs, tax, passports, the NHS and so on I'd have thought a name change by deed poll would be required.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I don't really want to change my name by deed poll since I don't dislike my name and also it would seem disloyal and disrespectful to my now deceased dad who seemed rather fond of it, and who went to the trouble of researching our family history long before the internet made doing so a doddle.

What I would like to achieve is just to disappear from people looking for me using google or linkedin but without losing the benefits of linkedin etc.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Obviously I am not MrPin in real life.

You call yourself what you like. I'm not sure how difficult the paperwork is.

I used to work with a woman that used to be a bloke. She would know. :blink:

HOLA447
HOLA448

Obviously I am not MrPin in real life.

You call yourself what you like. I'm not sure how difficult the paperwork is.

I used to work with a woman that used to be a bloke. She would know. :blink:

The only experience I can recall of something like this was of hearing of a bloke who was offered a job and then accepted, but then came out as a transexual before starting and asked to be called by a female name - and the employer agreed. That must be so very difficult but I suppose that is what you would have to do. Is suppose, because hwo would they check references and so on, and what about pay slips??

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Some people decide to use one of their middle names as their first name and when queried just say "I am known as". I knew a girl who used Tiger which was one of her middle names.

If your surname is hugely distinctive then this wouldn't have the required effect.

HOLA4412

I can see an employer going for it on the basis of gender related preferences, as I think they have to make provision for such things in order to comply with equality laws. But if someone I'd offered a job to came to me and said "I have a problem, please can you call me John Smith", it would set some alarm bells ringing for me.

So unless you're willing to become Tallulah Boa-Slinger it might be difficult on the employment front.

HOLA4413

Some people decide to use one of their middle names as their first name and when queried just say "I am known as". I knew a girl who used Tiger which was one of her middle names.

If your surname is hugely distinctive then this wouldn't have the required effect.

My Surname is fairly unusual. I've got a few namesakes in the UK, but not as many as any given David Jones must have.

HOLA4414

I have a rememberable surname, and I don't use my middle name because it is boring. Had a "philosophical" pub quiz meeting about middle names after a few pints. All the middle names are Kings or Angels, or Disciples. Even if your first name is Wayne. Apart from Mr Iqbal, who has something unpronounceable.

HOLA4415

My old ma did this, used her middle name as she didn't like her given first name (was the female version of her dad's name!) - but I don't think she legally changed it and also was known by her middle name since a young girl/teenager, so was never an issue for employers as far as I know, beyond saying this is the name I go by.

HOLA4416

People/organisations are relatively flexible. My wife prefers her middle name to her first name, so has (permanently) swapped them round. She's never had any issues with banks/utilities/etc. The only time she uses her "real" first name is for airline bookings and for dealing with the state e.g. tax documents.

You can also change your name by deed poll - I know 2 people who have done this. It's a faff to update all your documents, but it can be done.

HOLA4417

I can see an employer going for it on the basis of gender related preferences, as I think they have to make provision for such things in order to comply with equality laws. But if someone I'd offered a job to came to me and said "I have a problem, please can you call me John Smith", it would set some alarm bells ringing for me.

So unless you're willing to become Tallulah Boa-Slinger it might be difficult on the employment front.

To be frank I am trying to escape from an harassment / stalker type problem that is very difficult to prove and therefore restraining orders and such like aren't much help. If I were to explain that to the employer, there is a danger they might think I am nuts. Which I might be. But I don't think so, and neither did a clinical psychologist I talked it over with. But I have no proof of those conversations. Or of anything.

HOLA4418

I sympathise. It's very hard to avoid having an online presence these days. I considered objecting to having my name and photo on the staff webpages of my work, purely on principle, but I couldn't be bothered in the end. I have a FB account, but I have a fairly common name and I don't upload any personal photos. I can see how easy it might be for someone to keep tabs on you and there's not a lot you can do about it, bar changing your identity or asking employers to respect your privacy by keeping you 'ex-directory', as it were.

HOLA4419

I sympathise. It's very hard to avoid having an online presence these days. I considered objecting to having my name and photo on the staff webpages of my work, purely on principle, but I couldn't be bothered in the end. I have a FB account, but I have a fairly common name and I don't upload any personal photos. I can see how easy it might be for someone to keep tabs on you and there's not a lot you can do about it, bar changing your identity or asking employers to respect your privacy by keeping you 'ex-directory', as it were.

Unfortunately,because of the nature of what I do, I have to have an online identity. But like my long lost friend on linkedin perhaps I could get away with it not being my actual identity.

HOLA4420

On this site, I have never changed my user name or avatar (where has it gone?).

On the other hand (on a whim) I could decide to be MrNeedle, and change my avatar to "Sweep", and none of you would be any the wiser. :blink:^_^

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

To be frank I am trying to escape from an harassment / stalker type problem that is very difficult to prove and therefore restraining orders and such like aren't much help. If I were to explain that to the employer, there is a danger they might think I am nuts. Which I might be. But I don't think so, and neither did a clinical psychologist I talked it over with. But I have no proof of those conversations. Or of anything.

If a potential employee threw in at the end of the interview, which had otherwise gone well, that because of a stalker they would be changing their name so would the companyuse a different one then I would think it odd but it would not prevent my hiring them nor would I dig into the personal issues or require proof.

HOLA4423

Hmm, that is tough. In all honesty, if I thought you were nuts I'd like you all the more because I like crazy people. But that probably doesn't help in your position, and unfortunately I don't have any jobs going.

HOLA4424

On this site, I have never changed my user name or avatar (where has it gone?).

On the other hand (on a whim) I could decide to be MrNeedle, and change my avatar to "Sweep", and none of you would be any the wiser. :blink:^_^

You mean like Niall could be, for instance, a numbered Joshua?

HOLA4425

You mean like Niall could be, for instance, a numbered Joshua?

I'm still not a fugging Rabbi! Some of my relatives might be Yids, but I don't have those genes. Oh sh1t, the menorah has set light to the curtains! :huh:;)

They are an interesting shape, and make a bloody good candle holder, if nothing else!

Archived