House Price Crash Forum

Elsie Frost Murder - Wakefield 1965

spyguy

HOLA441

Just heard this morning iPM prog.

Missed last weeks - to knacked, dead to the world.

Summary: 14 year old girl stabbed during the day. Number of suspects, went to trial. People were sure who the murderer was - corner named them. Went to trail. Trial collapsed, suspect freed.

Then the whole lot was sealed for 60 fcking years!

Last weeks prog was about the girls poor family trying to cope with no closure, massive coverup.

This weeks prog was about the ex MP who was draged into as kid. He's trying to open up the case.

I found the incident and legal process really really disturbing.

Nothing on the web bar a post of ARRSE, who heard last weeks program:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/elsie-frost.234675/

Very little on the internet. Which is wierd as everything is dragged + pulled to bits - even if its crack pot theories.

HOLA442

This sealing of papers for decades makes little sense.

When we get the annual thirty year rule release of government papers there is rarely anything of interest in there leave alone anything shocking or damaging.

It's an easy way for institutions to avoid scrutiny and should be severely restricted. If they must do it (and I accept that sometimes there is a good reason) then ten years should be the default with a proper case having to be made for any further extension.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Bit disturbed by the murder.

I'd never heard of it before. I used to go the lagoons with my Auntie. She would never let me + siblings go by ourselves. Now I know why.

I just wanted to put the post up as the whole fcking thing stinks.

60 years sealed for what? for fck sake??? Just cause some stupid plod fcked up?

Why FFS?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Very little on the internet. Which is wierd as everything is dragged + pulled to bits - even if its crack pot theories.

Disturbing story indeed, and good of the BBC to dig it up and give airtime to the surviving siblings.

But I wouldn't be surprised by the lack of detail on the 'net. Happened too long ago, and hadn't crossed anyone online's radar until the Beeb unearthed it. No doubt there are thousands of such stories, and most will never see the light of day unless they fit someone's Agenda.

HOLA4410

I should add that me auntie lived in Durker, which is adjecent to the the lagoon

'Durkar', not Durker. :)

Spent a lot of time playing around the lagoons as a kid. The bridge across the river at the navigation from Horbury to Durkar still scares me slightly, even as an adult.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

My cousin's kid (burly 22 year old) walks between Horbury + Durkar.

We did give me Aunty the run around. She'd go nuts if she did not know whee we were.

This would have bee then mids 80s, so 20 years on, memory still remains.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Just thinking back the lagoons down there were a fun, but dangerous place to play. Aside from the lagoons themselves, you've got all the storm drains and manholes in the field and our old favourite the motorway bridge that you used to be able to get under. I notice it's been bricked up now. There's a manhole in there that we used to hang with our legs over playing chicken. To this day none of us knows how far down the hole under that manhole went. Could have been all the way down to the bottom of the pillar of the bridge for all we know.

HOLA4415

I do hope the missing answers will be found.....on IPM today a former MP that knew the area well and went to the same school and knew Elsie's sister Anne said he can help them to find out why the file has been closed/hidden for so many years.....the truth about why this is so needs to be known....

HOLA4416

Revisited on iPM this morning.

Journalist had gone through the paper's court reports of the time.

Bit of a strange legal process. Coroner accused someone, went to the assizes, had a alibi.

But why the 60 years seal of records FFS???

Why no reinvestigation ???

Daily Mail running story today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3044281/Why-police-want-hide-secrets-little-Elsie-s-savage-unsolved-murder-95-years-really-linked-Yorkshire-Ripper.html

• 2 months later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Just thinking back the lagoons down there were a fun, but dangerous place to play. Aside from the lagoons themselves, you've got all the storm drains and manholes in the field and our old favourite the motorway bridge that you used to be able to get under. I notice it's been bricked up now. There's a manhole in there that we used to hang with our legs over playing chicken. To this day none of us knows how far down the hole under that manhole went. Could have been all the way down to the bottom of the pillar of the bridge for all we know.

Actually, Hell was at the bottom. We could have met earlier! :blink:

• 3 months later...
HOLA4419
  • 3 months later...
HOLA4420
  • 8 months later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
46 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

And a quick.Google of the name Peter Pickering throws up:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/child-sex-killer-peter-pickering-269025

Hmm.  I found the same link.  Clearly the same guy - name and age are right.

What surprised me is how little information there is on him when you google him.  Almost nothing compared with other murderers of that time.

I also saw that Google has a 'some results have been removed due to the right to be forgotten legislation' note on the bottom of the page.  Curious.

Archived