House Price Crash Forum

Dt Anti Boomer Piece

HOLA441

Confession time...I am on the cusp of the Boomers and Gen X.

That said I am no fan of the Boomer generation.

This is a group of people who have been given EVERYTHING, taken it and then asked for more.

When infants they had the best health care, at school the best education (inc higher education).

When they were young adults we had the cultural revolution, flower power, free love etc.

Then when they were a bit older, out of school/Uni and working they didnt want to pay for it all, so we were treated to Reagan and Thatcher.

Oh how nice it was to try to leave school and get a job in the early eighties.

No they have started to retire (as of 2010) and surprise, surprise; we are all being lectured about tax avoidance. Oh how morally indefensible it all is!

They want one more thing now...to retire. Well why not eh?...they've paid their dues so now its time to collect.

And they will get it; let the good times roll.

They will destroy the economies of the west before they have gone.

HOLA442

Confession time...I am on the cusp of the Boomers and Gen X.

That said I am no fan of the Boomer generation.

This is a group of people who have been given EVERYTHING, taken it and then asked for more.

When infants they had the best health care, at school the best education (inc higher education).

When they were young adults we had the cultural revolution, flower power, free love etc.

Then when they were a bit older, out of school/Uni and working they didnt want to pay for it all, so we were treated to Reagan and Thatcher.

Oh how nice it was to try to leave school and get a job in the early eighties.

No they have started to retire (as of 2010) and surprise, surprise; we are all being lectured about tax avoidance. Oh how morally indefensible it all is!

They want one more thing now...to retire. Well why not eh?...they've paid their dues so now its time to collect.

And they will get it; let the good times roll.

They will destroy the economies of the west before they have gone.

*sigh*

never let the facts get in the way of a good rant

HOLA443

*sigh*

never let the facts get in the way of a good rant

Fact is the largest and most prosperous generation in history have supposedly "paid in all [their] lives" and yet are retiring on the back of massive un/underfunded pension liabilities and a state that is spending far more (much of it on welfare for the over 65s) than it is able to collect in taxes from the productive economy the Boomers built. Something doesn't add up.

HOLA444
HOLA445

But if the seat is empty anyway then it's costing nothing to give them a lift. If you want to get rid of the bus service that's all fine by me. If you are going to the expense of running a bus service the more people that use the bus the greater value it offers.

For all the boomer grief I give, the free bus pass seems sensible.

I suspect it costs much less to operate this scheme than it would for the oldies to organise all their own transport needs, making use of spare capacity

HOLA446
HOLA447

I don't mind that generations before mine had good lives - in fact I'm glad.

What I do object to is those who had good lives but then deny subsequent generations good lives by NIMBY-ism and voting purely in their own self interest.

By my age my parents owned, and had almost paid off (thanks to wage inflation) a large 4 bedroom detached house.

They tell the tale of how their mortgage was at 15% and an entire salary was spent paying for it but neglect to mention that this was for about 2 years and their pay was going up hugely every year.

They now take in almost as much in retirement as my wife and I do in decently paid jobs thanks to 50% final salary pensions + state pensions + non-means tested benefits + investment income.

HOLA448

Around here (SW London) I can assure you that plenty of people with Freedom passes who still drive, will very often use public transport for preference. They do not consider that it 'lowers' them in the slightest. But then we have very good transport. Bus passes keep an awful lot of cars off the roads. However I know it is different in other areas, where there are two buses a day if you're lucky.

There is a different attitude in urban areas to rural areas. The convenience of buses in the city and the regular service encourages use......standing at a bus stop waiting for the only bus that morning in a village is too much for pampered rural boomers on the whole. Some even have a snobbish attitude about them.