House Price Crash Forum

How I Won The Housing Market (Without Really Trying)

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

You get this off a lot of socially concerned left leaning boomers. Share the wealth, but with me not from me. Before rejecting every aspect of the commercial world that offends their eyes, arguing against money and markets, except for them of course. Waitrose stays.

Edited by Si1

HOLA444

You get this off a lot of socially concerned left leaning boomers. Share the wealth, but with me not from me. Before rejecting every aspect of the commercial world that offends their eyes, arguing against money and markets, except for them of course. Waitrose stays.

File them next to the "Save me! Save me!" free market libertarians.

HOLA445

Her old place

55429_2116984_IMG_02_0000.JPG

Sale Date: 16 Dec 2013. Price Paid: £660,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=40605493&sale=50349662&country=england

8c4668a6-543b-4be3-aeee-94766eff05c8-666

The flat in Crouch End, north London that Linda Grant bought for £92,000 in 1994 and sold for £660,000 last year.

Photograph: David Levene for the Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/05/how-i-won-the-housing-market-without-really-trying

From her Twitter ~ at least she recognises there's very little on the market.

Actually it sold for £35K above but what's £15K in the ponzi-hyperinflation (which all too often HPCers standing ready, aching to get it out again, "They didn't know what they were doing. They just wanted a home. Banks made them borrow. Victim victim."

Linda GrantVerified ‏@lindasgrant
Trying to buy a flat in Crouch End is not dissimilar to the attempts of England to win the World Cup. Sealed bids = penalty shoot out.
4:03 pm - 27 Sep 2013

Linda Grant ‏@lindasgrant 27 Sep 2013
@tds153 My flat went for 55k above

Linda Grant ‏@lindasgrant 27 Sep 2013
@tds153 But there's almost nothing on the market
https://twitter.com/lindasgrant/status/383607748883402752

Linda Grant Retweeted
Victoria Moffett ‏@victoriamoffett
All the properties I can afford are for over 55s. Ironic given that I'll be 55 before I can afford my own house #ukhousing #homesforbritain
https://twitter.com/victoriamoffett/status/561862125753475074

Prices are up 50% since the trough in 2009 and the majority of that happened in just 15 months or so from January 2013.

I have lived (and owned the same flat) in London since the mid-1990s and have never seen anything on this scale in terms of HPI and pre-occupation of every owner about 'how much my house is now worth'.

Among (many) London property owning friends and colleagues the mind-set is now stuck along the lines of 'my house is now worth x because that one down the road sold for that 6 months ago'. The fact that they bought for x-50% only 5 years ago will not get them at all easily to accept that they should now sell for even x-15%.

And why should they sell at x-15%?

ZIRP is keeping their home-owner or BTL mortgage affordable. Also, there is no shortage of renters in London and rents will cover the mortgage of anybody except the late 2012-onward buyers (which account for a very small proportion of the housing stock).

And if their house is not a BTL and they need a 3-bed for family purposes they just reason that they will just rent their London 1-bed and go to commuter land and rent a 3-bed for the same price while they wait for the next HPI recovery to sell (and they (think) they now have precedent that it will come!).

You're having a joke aren't you (your full post funnier still). I ask what happens when HPC, and it's 'most people shrug their shoulders' ... 'no one is worshipping HPI' / 'They don't care about the value' etc etc.

Edited by Venger

HOLA446

Also what the Guardian author fails to point out is that £32K was actually a fairly large sum to spend on a property in 1985. You could buy a semi-detached where I grew up for about £18K at the time (and those places are about £150K now). Plus it sounds like she had two places she owned.

Typical handwringing with no sense of irony. The author is still trying to grab more than she needs through a buy to let as well as a 2BR flat after selling her two houses for top dollar - and then wonders why house prices are so high.

Guardianista I sometimes find difficult to read; didn't register that part - but if so, it might explain her post on her Twitter; England World Cup. I thought she was being reflective about buyers for her own Crouch End place.

Would be amusing if she came a cropper back into HPC.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

How about 30% rise in less than six months? So just the £120k or nearly £1,000 per day ( New build)

Flat 5, Trafalgar Building, 15 Henry Macaulay Avenue, Kingston Upon Thames, Greater London KT2 5FE
£525,000 Flat, Leasehold 31 Jul 2014 £405,000 Flat, Leasehold 17 Feb 2014

crazy , probably worth 400k now though or a bit less :lol: