House Price Crash Forum

Doing Your Own Conveyancing?

HOLA441

Thinking of doing own conveyancing on my transaction details as follows:

Purchase only (no sale)

Detatched freehold property

No mortgage involved

I know the area (local to where I have lived for 20+ years)

Know some of the close neighbours to property

Have read a "how to" book, and some websites too..... Seems to be relatively straightforward for a transaction as simple as above.

Questions:

1) Anyone done their own conveyancing recently care to discuss with me and offer advice/tips?

2_ Anyone recommend the best (and also best value) place to purchase the required forms (I have found a couple of sources but open to advice!)?

HOLA442
HOLA443

If there's no mortgage involved and you don't want to do anything then you don't.

You can get a document from land registry to see if there's any charges against the property. Would me worth making a list of items and perhaps posting them on here.

You step mother didn't have any surveys a little in the way of conveyancing on similar type of situation. the only problem she encountered was upon moving in she found woodworm and had to pay to get it treated. But then she would have had to get that done anyhow, with little chance of getting a reduction in the price.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

It's absolutely fraught with risk to try to take on the job of some of the most highly skilled professionals in the country at a time of maximum stress. Conveyancers have years of experience filling in simple forms, moving paper from their in tray to their out tray and cutting and pasting letters. This is clearly not the kind of thing that a member of the public should attempt.

HOLA447

Doing your own conveyancing is very straight forward, I have done it three times, in 1982,1990 and 2001 However, the saving got smaller each time as conveyancing rates have fallen massively over the last 30 years. The process itself hasn't really changed over this time.

We last moved in Jan this year and for the first time I used a solicitor, simply because I could get a competent solicitor for such a low price (£350 on an £800k purchase) it wasn't worth the hassle of doing it myself.

HOLA448

A neighbour of mine works in the Land Registry and she implored me to do it myself when I buy - said that there was very little to it if you knew the area and property.

Which is ok if you're paying cash,but the cost of liability insurance would negate any savings.If you're getting a mortgage,the bank will want someone to sue if things go pear shaped.

HOLA449

Doing your own conveyancing is very straight forward, I have done it three times, in 1982,1990 and 2001 However, the saving got smaller each time as conveyancing rates have fallen massively over the last 30 years. The process itself hasn't really changed over this time.

We last moved in Jan this year and for the first time I used a solicitor, simply because I could get a competent solicitor for such a low price (£350 on an £800k purchase) it wasn't worth the hassle of doing it myself.

It used to be a real cash cow for High St sol's but that's no longer the case.I know local sol's round my way who undercut the supposed conveyancing supermarkets like MHM.

https://moneysupermarket.utdgroup.com/conveyancing/productchoice.aspx

Edited by Sancho Panza

HOLA4410