House Price Crash Forum

How Do I Buy Shares For Me?

dunroamin

HOLA441

hi people,

i have read these investment bits of the forum for a long time. but never really done anything on the share front.

wouldn't mind having a bit of a play to be honest but am really clueless about how to do it.

anyone got a quick heads up how to buy and sell shares?? i take it you can do it all online these days but do i need a broker etc?? or what??!!

HOLA442

hi people,

i have read these investment bits of the forum for a long time. but never really done anything on the share front.

wouldn't mind having a bit of a play to be honest but am really clueless about how to do it.

anyone got a quick heads up how to buy and sell shares?? i take it you can do it all online these days but do i need a broker etc?? or what??!!

give me ya phone number and ill explain it ;) (ok, so it would be reverse charge)

personally i opened up and account with barclays stockbrokers, was dead easy, you wait a couple of days and wallah your ready to rock and roll, you stick some cash into your account then use the site to buy shares, its really straight fowards, and they give you all the stuff you need on the website, pretty graphs, analysis, loads of stuff.

When you want to buy you 'click buy' and the shares are allocated to your account (for want of a better expression) i never get to see the share certificates because barclays keeps them all for me. When i want to sell i click sell and thats it.

Of course the hard part is knowing what to buy into and when, then knowing when to get the hell out.

If i remember rightly its about £12 per quarter to have the account but that gets waved if you do a trade, in that quarter a trade is eithr buying or selling.

You should know what a bid and offer price is, i didnt when i started but i like a high learning curve :rolleyes:

Ive give barclays stockbrokers a pretty good plug there , i only signed up with them because i am with barclays for normal banking, though i must admit i cant think of anything else i would want from them.

HOLA443
HOLA444

thanks chuzzer.

should i trust ya though???

you overall up or down these days?

if i see you blowing all ure profits on a lotus i will lose all respect! :P

Im up , and i could of bought that lotus a little while ago now :)

I just love matchbox cars

HOLA445

Good idea. Im playing with the idea (once my student debts are cleared) of eventually investing some small sums of cash, just to begin learning the ropes as it were. It would be great if they pinned a thread for the amatuer investor, with a few tips occasionally added by the more experienced (I dont mean 'which stocks to buy', more as in which places to use, papers/webs to read and general wisdom accumulated on markets behaviour). Its an area im studying academically, although I would like to learn some 'everyday stuff'. That would be excellent.

HOLA446

I am reading "How to make money in stocks" by Bill O'Neill. He also has another book I have bought, on the same subject.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007137361...5Fencoding=UTF8

Disclaimer: I am not ready to try his strategies yet, but I am interested.

Certainly don't do anything without having some kind of strategy for what to buy, when to buy, and when to sell. Don't dabble.

HOLA447

I am reading "How to make money in stocks" by Bill O'Neill. He also has another book I have bought, on the same subject.

Certainly don't do anything without having some kind of strategy for what to buy, when to buy, and when to sell. Don't dabble.

Im trying to take a three-pronged approach, study the area, listen to others wisdom, learn by experience (small amounts). I certainly wont be investing real cash until I've an idea what im doing.

Dunroamin, have you tryed setting up an account with Bullbearings (google it). You can dummy run with fake cash. Another good one was tradeindex .com or .co.uk.

HOLA448

Nah, you've got to get your feet wet. Or at least dabble with a pretend trading account to learn the ropes.

The fastest way to learn what not to do is to lose all your money. :ph34r:

You can't learn to ride a bike by reading theory - just get out there and have a go!*

* With training wheels and on soft grass.

HOLA449

If you want to have a 'play' with stocks and shares, and dont want to pay any Capital Gains Tax on your profits (fingers X'd!) then you can open a mini (or Maxi) stocks & shares ISA at most banks...

I have one with Natwest myself, a fairly good web interface with information/graphs etc... no idea how it compares to the Barclays account mentioned previously, in fact if anyone has experience of a number of online packages I wouldnt mind knowing how they may rate for functionality against my Natwest account?

HOLA4410

cheers chaps.

was just gonna have a dabble to be honest but will now proceed with a bit more preparation and caution...

might have a go at one of those pretend ones. will let you know how i get on.

oh - and thanks for bouncing me over to amazon. i just got half my chrimbo shopping done :)

HOLA4411

I've been using Halifax's sharebuilder to learn about the stockmarket http://www.halifax.co.uk/sharedealing/sharebuilder.shtml. You have to set up a ditrect debit for at least £20/month It's £1.50 a trade (you have to pick an investment date since the buying is pooled).

I've been doing this for over two years and learn't a great deal, mainly I can't stock pick individual shares but I've been quite good at picking investment trusts in certain markets.

There's a forum on the fool.co.uk http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.asp?mid=9680110&bid=51570 about this product.

HOLA4412

I've been using Halifax's sharebuilder to learn about the stockmarket http://www.halifax.co.uk/sharedealing/sharebuilder.shtml. You have to set up a ditrect debit for at least £20/month It's £1.50 a trade (you have to pick an investment date since the buying is pooled).

I've been doing this for over two years and learn't a great deal, mainly I can't stock pick individual shares but I've been quite good at picking investment trusts in certain markets.

There's a forum on the fool.co.uk http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.asp?mid=9680110&bid=51570 about this product.

I'll second the halifax sharebuiler as a cheap and easy method - though you don't have to make monthly deposits. There are some shares you can't buy (GBS) for example, but on the whole it's good.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4413

I'm in the "process of opening" a ShareBuilder.. apparently its open but even after an email/phone call to them I still can't link it to my existing Halifax login nor access it as a new user :angry: The help desk has told me to phone back tomorrow to talk to the share dealing dept...

Any suggestions for alternative providers, basically I'm treating it as a "toe in the water". Its ok reading and trying virtual trading, but there comes a point where you need to commit some cash.

In my case I've decided I'm just going to commit a couple of k over the year (which I can afford to lose), and keep it down to something like 4 transactions or so (ie to keep the costs down to less than 2.5%).

The downside of doing so few trades is possibly not having enough variation and leaving yourself exposed.

So the big question: When you started out trading (with a smallish budget), what was the big lesson you learnt?

HOLA4414

cheers - i just had this delivered. now if i can just shake off my hpc addiction for a while - i may even get round to reading it :)

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

HSBC presently have a sale on sharedealing. Each trade is now a flat fee of £5.97 as opposed to £11.50 as previous. This is the cheapest you will find although it is only for transactions up until march 31st. The cheapest typically is hoodless brennan at £7 per trade. There are no annual fees or hidden charges for either account.

Edited by defweb