HOLA441
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Listened to three or so minutes of the first one, would have heard that at the time as the backdrop to drinking and going out sessions, but can`t remember what I really thought of it back then. The guitarist, Bernard Butler is it? is just wailing away on an effects pedal (he was described as some sort of virtuoso at the time I seem to remember) behind the quite passionate vocals of the main man, too much guitar, sounds like me in a pub band I used to play in. I will listen to all of it though, and comment at some point :P

HOLA446
HOLA447

Easy to argue here that the lyrics don`t mean anything, but the delivery is so strong IMO that we transcend "social commentary". If this was the sort of vocal/guitar that was normal in your formative musical years, then most of the Britpop stuff wasn`t really going to stand up, musically anyway.

God, that was sheet.

Cliched rubbish. Sounds like umpteeen other Rawk bands around at the time, and before, and since.

At least Britpop bands had distinctive sounds and you could tell them apart.

HOLA448
HOLA449

God, that was sheet.

Cliched rubbish. Sounds like umpteeen other Rawk bands around at the time, and before, and since.

At least Britpop bands had distinctive sounds and you could tell them apart.

Please tell me you are joking? Did you watch the Britpop programme? Can`t think of many better or more distinctive vocalists than Ronnie Dio.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Only distinctive to the cognoscenti.

Sounds like nearly every other stereotypical metal singer to me.

Because many have tried to copy him, or been inspired by him. Blur`s Mockney nonsense was clichéd even at the time IMO.

If Damon or the guy from Suede could pull off a vocal performance like that I would give then both a coconut!

HOLA4412

Could probably watch this clip a couple of hundred times before feeling the need to re-visit that Britpop compilation.

There is a wonderful clip of the late Rory Gallagher performing the song Politician with Jack Bruce at Rockpalast on Youtube

I love the way that Bruce hums Gallagher the riff just before they go on in case he is not familiar with it

Gallagher plays a blinder and his amp is not even properly grounded

The lyrics are also as topical today as when Bruce wrote them in the later 1960s. It catches all the sleaze, hypocrisy and mendacity of British politics in one short song.

Even though it was written over two decades before the 1990s it is a far more accurate commentary on the Major and Blair era than anything Brit Pop managed to produce

HOLA4413

There is a wonderful clip of the late Rory Gallagher performing the song Politician with Jack Bruce at Rockpalast on Youtube

I love the way that Bruce hums Gallagher the riff just before they go on in case he is not familiar with it

Gallagher plays a blinder and his amp is not even properly grounded

The lyrics are also as topical today as when Bruce wrote them in the later 1960s. It catches all the sleaze, hypocrisy and mendacity of British politics in one short song.

Even though it was written over two decades before the 1990s it is a far more accurate commentary on the Major and Blair era than anything Brit Pop managed to produce

Yes :lol: It`s almost like Rory is saying "hum it again" just as Jack Bruce walks away from him. He gets his own back at about 5mins in by testing Jack a bit though. Excellent clip, probably better than the whole Britpop movement just those few minutes alone, certainly a different level of musicianship and soul IMO. Was that early 90`s?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Yes :lol: It`s almost like Rory is saying "hum it again" just as Jack Bruce walks away from him. He gets his own back at about 5mins in by testing Jack a bit though. Excellent clip, probably better than the whole Britpop movement just those few minutes alone, certainly a different level of musicianship and soul IMO. Was that early 90`s?

It was 1990

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419

That was Graham Bonnet, great singer, but Ritchie Blackmore/Ronnie Dio is one of the all time great guitar/vocal set ups in rock.

Needs to be played LOUD.

I've bought a Rainbow greatest Hits album off Amazon. IT ROCKS! B) Got the MP3 download for free and once the CD arrives it will be played a lot in my car on my commute to and from work. Can't play it too loud in my flat as the soundproofing is s**t and I'll upset the neighbours (most are miserable enough already!).

Thanks again Sheeple! :)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Archived