House Price Crash Forum

Mse Martin's Blog...

LC1

HOLA441

I am of the same thinking,

the government actively encouraged people to get massive mortages so i believe would bare some responsibility if the interest rates rose sharply forcing repossessions.

What responsibility did the Government take when it announced a specific future date for end of the main element of MIRAS... which then saw buyers falling over themselves to outbid one another for housing, rapidly in space of 6-12 months, at ever higher transaction price points. When we then hit recession, thus repossessions, tight money ect.

Individuals make their own decisions. I'm tired of the excuses, and told they didn't know what they were doing, with the end result bail-outs for those most over-indebted, to protect biggest winners of outright or equity rich owning majority.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

What responsibility did the Government take when it announced a specific future date for end of the main element of MIRAS... which then saw buyers falling over themselves to outbid one another for housing, rapidly in space of 6-12 months, at ever higher transaction price points. When we then hit recession, thus repossessions, tight money ect.

Individuals make their own decisions. I'm tired of the excuses, and told they didn't know what they were doing, with the end result bail-outs for those most over-indebted, to protect biggest winners of outright or equity rich owning majority.

Yep, and many hundreds of thousands will now be regretting their pwoperdee decisions I expect.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

We have a plan that when we can have a mortgage free house with a small area for growing food, we can downsize to less stressful jobs paying a lot less. we already have no debt, which is more than most.

I bet when we do that, less than 5% of our colleagues understand what we do. Most will think we can't 'hack it'.

There's a lot to be said for a measure of self-sufficiency. Owning a place outright and being able to cover your own food, water and energy needs (or at least, a large part of them) is a very desirable situation to be in. It would get you out of the rat race and give a measure of true freedom. However, the costs of doing so are large so many won't ever be in a position to do so.

Also of course, it would be simply unfeasible for everyone to live like that given population density and availability of resources. Luckily, many don't even have the desire to do so, so at least it leaves the option open for those who get their priorities right.