House Price Crash Forum

Drills.

HOLA441
HOLA442

Don't try what I saw on an "electrical safety film"! Bloke making holes in wet bathroom, with a metal cased "antique" drill. Unknown to him it was faulty and his extension cord had no earth connection. Touched a metal pipe and electrocuted himself. Ended up with the drill bit embedded in his groin, and died!

There's a case for the battery powered ones! :blink:

HOLA443

Trailing cords can be a nuisance or hazard sometimes, especially when 'working at height'. Also, I sometimes use a cordless outdoors when it is raining lightly, whcih i would not consider if using a mains-powered device.

Also getting a hand-drill (manual) is a no-brainer. They are dirt cheap, quick to use, and give you an excellent level of control for delicate jobs. Get a decent one with two bevel gears.

Disappointingly for an OT thread no-one has declared that electricity is an extravagant fad and will be the first thing to disappear come The Day. A vintage carpenters brace salvaged from a skip and dad's old pump-action yankee screwdriver are all anyone really needs. They built the Pyramids with less.

Actually, I really am holding onto my dad's old yankee screwdriver, just in case of zombies

141v4eo.jpg

HOLA444

Disappointingly for an OT thread no-one has declared that electricity is an extravagant fad and will be the first thing to disappear come The Day. A vintage carpenters brace salvaged from a skip and dad's old pump-action yankee screwdriver are all anyone really needs. They built the Pyramids with less.

Actually, I really am holding onto my dad's old yankee screwdriver, just in case of zombies

With your Amish avatar, you will not be allowed an electric one! :blink:

HOLA445

Don't try what I saw on an "electrical safety film"! Bloke making holes in wet bathroom, with a metal cased "antique" drill. Unknown to him it was faulty and his extension cord had no earth connection. Touched a metal pipe and electrocuted himself. Ended up with the drill bit embedded in his groin, and died!

There's a case for the battery powered ones! :blink:

I love those elf 'n safety films from the '70s! There was a good one about railways, too: two kids go on the railway track. The first is electrocuted by the live rail, and then when his friend goes to help him, he's mown down by an express train. Final shot of blood and entrails on the track, followed by a classroom of giggling schoolkids opining that the deceased got what they deserved, because they had ginger hair (or insert other uncool attribute here).

Back to topic, though, and I do wonder if some of these high power NiMH batteries have enough power in them to do someone serious damage. I've heard that a big motor start capacitor can hold a fatal charge.

HOLA446

I love those elf 'n safety films from the '70s! There was a good one about railways, too: two kids go on the railway track. The first is electrocuted by the live rail, and then when his friend goes to help him, he's mown down by an express train. Final shot of blood and entrails on the track, followed by a classroom of giggling schoolkids opining that the deceased got what they deserved, because they had ginger hair (or insert other uncool attribute here).

wiki: Building Sites Bite

Some of the footage of Ronald's deaths is very graphic, showing the boy being buried alive in a trench collapse, electrocuted in a half-demolished house, run over by an earthmoving vehicle, breaking his skull after falling off a pipe against a metal retaining wall, crushed beneath a falling pile of bricks, and ultimately drowning in a disused quarry; each time he is about to die, the sound of a heartbeat is played on the soundtrack to warn viewers and give them a chance to shut their eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ag5dzfC6c

HOLA447

Back to topic, though, and I do wonder if some of these high power NiMH batteries have enough power in them to do someone serious damage. I've heard that a big motor start capacitor can hold a fatal charge.

I don't think it was a 1970s film! :blink:

Yes batteries can hold a bit of energy, probably the most danger is of a short circuit!

My one time boss dropped a spanner on a 40 Farad capacitor charged to 1600 volts! There was no spanner after that! Luckily he was unhurt. That's a lot of energy.

HOLA448

The Finishing Line is a classic film of it's kind.

Apparently, undischarged KERS batteries on Formula 1 cars can be, ahem, "shocking".

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Thanks chaps, plenty to chew over. I've been out all day, so apologies for opening the thread and then leaving it unattended..

Bosch probably have a picture of me in their 'green' target marketing- semi serious general incompetent with delusions of grandeur. Check.

Nice set of chiseldrivers Nuggets, cheers for that.

HOLA4411

Thanks chaps, plenty to chew over. I've been out all day, so apologies for opening the thread and then leaving it unattended..

Bosch probably have a picture of me in their 'green' target marketing- semi serious general incompetent with delusions of grandeur. Check.

Nice set of chiseldrivers Nuggets, cheers for that.

A little too nice. Before picking up the Wera set I had a four three quid Rolson set and I still use one of those when I'm really smacking the **** out of something. And, yes, I know that's daft.

HOLA4412

Not much !

I have the added advantage that most of the materials I use them on are soft (ally nuts for example) whereas most normal people use them on very hard materials.

If you have soft spanners or nuts the important thing is to get the size right, because otherwise you will chew up the softer one.

I also have a set of titanium tools. Beat that tool-boasters.

I'II channel Alan Partridge and say:

'Eat my spanner drawer' :P

spanners.JPG

post-17575-0-02931800-1389501870_thumb.jpg

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Bahco hand tools are reasonably priced and pretty good quality

Pick them up at boot sales or on the internet. Obviously do not leave them unguarded on a building site, or you will be buying it back on EBay again. :blink:

HOLA4415

I don't think it was a 1970s film! :blink:

Yes batteries can hold a bit of energy, probably the most danger is of a short circuit!

My one time boss dropped a spanner on a 40 Farad capacitor charged to 1600 volts! There was no spanner after that! Luckily he was unhurt. That's a lot of energy.

Once upon a time I was changing a heater plug in a Land Rover. I puzzled to see a bit of smoke. Then I realised that the smoke was from me. The metal wath bracelet on my left wrist was touching the live terminal of the battery and some metal part of the vehicle and was red hot, doing my wrist medium rare. That was in 1984 and the scar is still there.

HOLA4416

Once upon a time I was changing a heater plug in a Land Rover. I puzzled to see a bit of smoke. Then I realised that the smoke was from me. The metal wath bracelet on my left wrist was touching the live terminal of the battery and some metal part of the vehicle and was red hot, doing my wrist medium rare. That was in 1984 and the scar is still there.

Yes. Remove metal watches, and ties when working on cars (bow ties are deemed safe!). Tie your hair back (if you have any). Please wear steely boots when operating a lawnmower. Use safety glasses when drilling. I'm not a health and safety "Nazi", but I get all this stuff free from work, and I don't care if I look like a nob wearing it.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Archived