House Price Crash Forum

Dixons Only Have The Customers Best Interests At Heart

libitina

HOLA441
The chief executive of electrical store chain DSG - formerly known as Dixons - yesterday urged shoppers to be wary of buying from small online stores as he predicted an increase in the number of retailers going bust after Christmas.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/retail/story/0,1...1649331,00.html

Nothing ro do with trying to boost their own flagging sales then...?

Does he not realise that it'll be the CC companies that would take the hit if anything went wrong? :D

The IMRG data predicts some 24 million British shoppers will spend £5bn online this Christmas, an average of £208 each, generating 130m internet shopping deliveries. The biggest sellers are books, music, leisure travel services, videos, DVDs and event tickets. Beer and wine sales have increased by 50% and electrical products were up 28%, with the biggest demand being for MP3 players, iPods, mobile phones and games consoles.

HOLA442

Heh heh heh,

I am making sure that this year, any presents I buy will be from online stores, preferably not "high street" chains.

Perhaps, when the BRC and the other retailers mouthpieces start talking some sense, instead of bleating month after month for interest rate cuts, I may pay them some of my cash again.

Until then, they will just have to struggle on and sharpen up that axe. . . . . went to Bluewater last night for a look round and I was shocked at how desolate it was.

It is still quite a bit before X-Mas, admittedly, but there was no way enough spending going on to justify the staff, heating, lighting and rents. :lol:

It is a sad state of affairs when someone feels the way I do, but because of all the chronic mismanagement, I feel I am left with no choice.

Edited by BubbleTurbo

HOLA443

I'd say if the shops are still quiet next week when people have been paid, thens the time for the retailers to panic. Needless to say I shall be avoiding all shops this weekend...

HOLA444

I'd say if the shops are still quiet next week when people have been paid, thens the time for the retailers to panic. Needless to say I shall be avoiding all shops this weekend...

I liked the headline with dixons warning customers not to expect bargains this year. That will really drive them in :)

HOLA445

Yeah.

I have been "dragged" down to BlueWater a couple of weekends ago and it was very busy. People did not seem to be heavily "loaded" though, with lots of bags, like I have seen before.

In years past, when I have been down there in the evenings it has not been as noticably economically unviable for the shops to be open. Last night, it was COSTING them to be open.

:lol:

HOLA446

I don't think the BRC have really thought through the implications of having a growing proportion fo the population eiter living at home with parents or renting and saving against seemingly all odds for the future. Same with overall transaction volumes in the housing market - if people move less they spend less, if the BTL brigade are the buyers, furniture and household goods expenditure will be severely affected.

HOLA447
Guest Bart of Darkness

Heh heh heh,

I am making sure that this year, any presents I buy will be from online stores, preferably not "high street" chains.

Perhaps, when the BRC and the other retailers mouthpieces start talking some sense, instead of bleating month after month for interest rate cuts, I may pay them some of my cash again.

Until then, they will just have to struggle on and sharpen up that axe. . . . . went to Bluewater last night for a look round and I was shocked at how desolate it was.

It is still quite a bit before X-Mas, admittedly, but there was no way enough spending going on to justify the staff, heating, lighting and rents. :lol:

It is a sad state of affairs when someone feels the way I do, but because of all the chronic mismanagement, I feel I am left with no choice.

I know what you mean BT, I agree 100% with your sentiments.

I tend to buy online most of the time now (even my shopping is delivered by Tescos). Cheaper, more convienient, wider choice, most of the time there's just no contest.

Besides, I really can't stand places like Dixons!

HOLA448

Well luckily I've done all my shopping (except fresh stuff) as the washing machine has just gone for a burton. Got some local guy coming out this afternoon to fix it. £20 call out charge instead of £65 for Ariston. I'll try to remember to ask him if he's busier these days as I would expect people to try to repair stuff rather than replace it if the pennies are a bit tight.

HOLA449

This smacks of desperation. Dixons, alias Currys/ PC world /Link are like the mafia, they represent a failure of the monopolies & mergers commission to legislate properly in that industry.

I heard they had around 50% of market share a few years ago, shame on the Guardian for printing such a rubbish V.I .article.

PC World are particlarly highly over priced with an infamous customer service, closely followed by Dixons. I look forward to seeing more of these big out of town 'dead sheds' after xmas.

HOLA4410
I don't think the BRC have really thought through the implications of having a growing proportion fo the population eiter living at home with parents or renting and saving against seemingly all odds for the future.

But it may go the other way: if 20-somethings are completely priced out of the housing market and living with their parents, that means they have a lot of disposable income to spend on computer games, MP3 players and the like which in earlier times would have gone on paying a mortgage or rent. So high house prices may be good news for Dixons.

HOLA4411

I liked the headline with dixons warning customers not to expect bargains this year. That will really drive them in :)

:D

Sounds like a classic "RATNER" to me! :lol:

IMHO the group should never have been allowed to get this big. They have a huge grip on the High Street market and is why all Electrical/computer goods are overpriced and virtually identical!

In other words a 'cartel'

The fact that even smallish online companies can trash them on price speaks volumes!

HOLA4412

MarkG,

Maybe good for Dixons - reckon a lot will still buy online though. It is the rest of the market - look in the average household at the number of goods that are non-electrical gizmo's - probably outnumber them 20:1.

That is where the real crunch is likely to come from this sort of move.

HOLA4413

Well luckily I've done all my shopping (except fresh stuff) as the washing machine has just gone for a burton. Got some local guy coming out this afternoon to fix it. £20 call out charge instead of £65 for Ariston. I'll try to remember to ask him if he's busier these days as I would expect people to try to repair stuff rather than replace it if the pennies are a bit tight.

Fecking things knackered, going to whup a$$ in curry's now as it's less than 2 years old.