House Price Crash Forum

Virgin Money

otters

HOLA441

Anyone else having bother?

Northern rock, famous for the first bank run in this country for many years. Still all should now be good as Virgin Money has taken control, but for me not so.

I'm getting a bit peed off with their web site so I decided to close my account, well!....it's not that easy. I have been trying to get my money out since the fourth of September with no success, phone calls have given lame excuses about my cache needing to be cleared, or maybe Google chrome is the problem?

Is this a sign of things to come? I'm getting a funny feeling

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The rule to remember when closing any savings account is: first you take out most of the money and only after the funds have cleared do you tell them you are closing it.

I suspect there may be some legal hoops they need to jump through when completely closing an account, I have found it quite common to take longer than it should.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Thanks for the positive replies.

I tried again just now, the site freezes on me. I have several on line accounts that give me no problem.

My machine just doesn't like this one for some reason.

Last year, I had problems with Barclays online banking using the Chrome browser. Barclays tech support suggested clearing cookies, which I didn't want to do, so I used IE to access my online banking until, after a few Chrome updates, the problem resolved itself. I had been using Chrome for years with no problem then suddenly, after Barclays updated their site, some features stopped working.

HOLA4411

At last! all done.

Virgin Money site still keeps freezing on me, or I get a message web page unavailable, then logs me out. I had to have a few goes, waiting 20 mins before it would let me log in again.......very frustrating.

I guess my machine and theirs are not compatible.

HOLA4412

The rule to remember when closing any savings account is: first you take out most of the money and only after the funds have cleared do you tell them you are closing it.

I suspect there may be some legal hoops they need to jump through when completely closing an account, I have found it quite common to take longer than it should.

Good advice, after a problem way back I learnt to do this. Then when you do phone up to close the account they see there's hardly anything in it so they don't try to persuade you to stay.

HOLA4413

I noticed that interest rates offered by virgin had dropped and so transferred 40k out recently with no problems.

Did you find a similar rate account to move it to? I've recently received a letter about lowering of rates on my account there too, and am looking for potential destinations.