House Price Crash Forum

Working Abroad (first Post)

what

HOLA441

I have currently been working abroad for 7years (France to be exact) and have saved up a hefty deposit.

I am due to arrive back in the UK shortly and am unsure whether to waste the money i have earned on a

overpriced house or wait until the prices go down. What would people here do if they had a big deposit available to them and how would they invest it in the UK.

In France there was a huge divide between the rich and the poor hence the riots. However looking at the situation in the UK isn't the same also happening ???

HOLA442
HOLA443

I

In France there was a huge divide between the rich and the poor hence the riots. However looking at the situation in the UK isn't the same also happening ???

No - although the gap between the poorest and the richest is growing the very poorest in society do actually feel richer than they did due to tax credits etc. and more socially included due to various newdeal schemes ect (although I agree there is a 'hard core' group of socially excluded that are difficult to reach).

You need to define what you mean by 'poor'

Those that now feel poor are not necessarily the poorest in society - it is the group of people who have seen their aspirations and quality of life diminsion - this is a generational issue and in some respects a class issue.

Example

A single parent previoulsy living on benefit return to work - gets tax credits/childcare etc and is better off than before - he/she feels better off than a sinlge parent did 10 years ago and sees 'life getting better'. They may be able to buy their council house in a couple of years, get a bit of promotion at work, maybe buy a car. Their aspirations have been reached and exceeded.

A science graduate leaves university and gets a job. He/she earns twice as much as the single parent BUT feels worse off and poorer than a science graduate did 10 years ago because of student debt etc. Their aspiration of owning a home will not be met because of houseprices and they will struggle for promotion at work in a crowded graduate market. They feel worse off than a science graduate did 10 years ago and feel their aspirations are not being met but diminished.

OK - these a generalised examples but the point is that it is not necessarily the poorest in society who feel poor and therefore they are unlikely to revolt and protest as they have done in France.

I also think race was as much an issue in France as poverty.

HOLA444

No - although the gap between the poorest and the richest is growing the very poorest in society do actually feel richer than they did due to tax credits etc. and more socially included due to various newdeal schemes ect (although I agree there is a 'hard core' group of socially excluded that are difficult to reach).

Those that now feel poor are not necessarily the poorest in society - it is the group of people who have seen their aspirations and quality of life diminsion - this is a generational issue and in some respects a class issue.

Example

A single parent previoulsy living on benefit return to work - gets tax credits/childcare etc and is better off than before - he/she feels better off than a sinlge parent did 10 years ago and sees 'life getting better'. They may be able to buy their council house in a couple of years, get a bit of promotion at work, maybe buy a car. Their aspirations have been reached and exceeded.

A science graduate leaves university and gets a job. He/she earns twice as much as the single parent BUT feels worse off and poorer than a science graduate did 10 years ago because of student debt etc. Their aspiration of owning a home will not be met because of houseprices and they will struggle for promotion at work in a crowded graduate market. They feel worse off than a science graduate did 10 years ago and feel their aspirations are not being met but diminished.

OK - these a generalised examples but the point is that it is not necessarily the poorest in society who feel poor and therefore they are unlikely to revolt and protest as they have done in France.

Very well put..

HOLA445

Example

This Forum is too clever for me, is there a less clever one about.

HOLA446
HOLA447

This Forum is too clever for me, is there a less clever one about.

I'm less clever - here's my answer:

DO NOT BUY A HOUSE IN THE UK NOW. IT IS A BAD TIME.

RENT FOR ABOUT 2 OR 3 YEARS OR UNTIL HOUSE PRICES HAVE DROPPED BY 30%

I wouldn't go to singing pig. They come to this website and tell us THEY are more clever. So I guess this is the home of the less clever :blink:

The singing pig will just bombard you with clever ideas. :D

HOLA448

I have currently been working abroad for 7years (France to be exact) and have saved up a hefty deposit.

I am due to arrive back in the UK shortly and am unsure whether to waste the money i have earned on a

overpriced house or wait until the prices go down. What would people here do if they had a big deposit available to them and how would they invest it in the UK.

Il me parait que vous n'avez pas habite en France pour 7 ans ou vous auriez une comprehension plus nuancee de la situation. Qu'est-ce que vous avez fait en France? En quel departement avez-vous travaille? Comment s'appelle le ministre de l'interieur? En cas que j'ai tort, je vous reponds simplement:

Put the money in a good savings account. Go to moneyfacts.co.uk to find one. Or invest in stock market if you understand it and accept the risk. If I were you, I'd rent for a while and watch house prices to see what happens.

I think it is never a good idea to dive into such a big undertaking as buying a house unitl you have researched it thoroughly. Everyone seems to agree that whatever happens there is no hurry as house prices are not likely to rise rapidly even if they do.

Edited by Key Worker

HOLA449

Despite the space, great vino, sunshine and gallic charm you actually want to return to the UK?

Buy a house now and watch your hard earned cash from the last 7 years rapidly vaporise before your disbelieving eyes. Think WORTH. Is that 90K house you left 7 years ago really WORTH 250K now.

I'm in a similar position, but the thought of handing over my hard earned cash to someone who's been sat on his/her inert ring watching the dosh just accumulate would drive me to some vicious act of self abuse.

Whatever you do with your money do not buy now!

HOLA4410

Despite the space, great vino, sunshine and gallic charm you actually want to return to the UK?

Buy a house now and watch your hard earned cash from the last 7 years rapidly vaporise before your disbelieving eyes. Think WORTH. Is that 90K house you left 7 years ago really WORTH 250K now.

I'm in a similar position, but the thought of handing over my hard earned cash to someone who's been sat on his/her inert ring watching the dosh just accumulate would drive me to some vicious act of self abuse.

Whatever you do with your money do not buy now!

Someone (i forget who) said here something alongs the lines of .. you can either pay for your own dreams or someone elses.. that just about sums it up for me. Whoever said that can you please speak up so i can rob it and add it to my sig.

HOLA4411

equally big divide here between rich and poor..........but exclusion of racial minorities is isn't as blatant as in France..................eg you see black and Asian people reading the news here and it would be unthinkable in France.w

Edited by Michael

HOLA4412

I really like 2005's analysis of different perceptions of financial well-being. Have you ever seen a bunch of investment bankers riot after receiving slightly lower than expected bonuses? It's absolute carnage!

As for the original poster, very difficult to say what to do. I thought there would have been a crash by now, in fact Q4 last year it looked imminent, but things seem to have settled down. It's not nice being on the wrong side of the fence when everybody else has gotten rich in the biggest bull run in history. However you can't turn the clock back 7yrs, and it's very difficult to see where any further growth is going to come from. Risks are on the downside. If you can get any comfortable return on your $$$ doing something else, then that might be advisable.

HOLA4413

The racial economic divide in France is more obviously stark than in Britain. I recently arrived very early at Charles de Gaulle airport and got the first train into the city at around 5 AM. Every single person on the train was of African origin, evidently heading for badly paid, unsocial hours work. As I cycled across Paris not a white Frenchman was in sight, all the refuse collectors and early morning delivery drivers were African immigrants. Later I took a train out the other side of Paris and was very struck by the extent of poor immigrant areas. Paris strongly reminded me of New York.

So far as what you do with your money, I wouldn't buy a house if I were you. Personally I'd buy some gold, siver, Swiss Francs and Canadian Dollars in the first instance, then maybe consider Canadian stocks. Canada is the only large industrialised country in the world with ample energy and mineral resources.

HOLA4414

race always comes into it when economic times get hard.Its small minded because most of the people who riot and moan about the immigrants taking the jobs couldn't be arsed to get off their butts and find a job in the first place.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest Alright Jack

...saved up a hefty deposit.

overpriced house or wait until the prices go down. What would people here do...

I demand this idiot gets assigned to the trolling group RIGHT NOW!. Come on WM, one rule of law. I used an alternative log in name and I accept the consequences gracefully. I know the rules... or thought I did.

[ Moderators: We are aware of the reason why, but find it strange that you were aware as well. ]

HOLA4417

What would people here do if they had a big deposit available to them and how would they invest it in the UK.

I was in a similar situation 6 months ago, having moved back

from Holland after 9 years.

Assuming your stash is in euros currently, keep it that way and rent. Even if there's no crash, your euros are a good bet to appreciate against sterling over the coming months, as the ECB have virtually

committed themselves to IR rises now and the UK economy is slowing.

To hopefully hedge against problems with the euro, my own strategy has been to convert 1/8th to sterling for living purposes, diversify a third of the rest into canadian dollars, canadian equities and gold, and leave the balance in euros.

This is not investment advice, I don't accept responsibilty for any

actions you take based on what I have written!

My main inspiration for these activities was HPC, thanks to everyone

posting.

Pent

HOLA4418
Guest Alright Jack

...So [moderators], you never play games every now and then ? I didn't make a fuss. As I said, I knew the rules on multiple log-ins and so I cannot complain for my personal circumstance.

However, I do demand consistency, this guy is clearly another punter in disguise and I just think that rules should be rules. Maybe because he is a bearish punter that makes him indefatigable.

[ Moderators: Maybe you can tell us who he/she is, as this so called punter has never posted ]