House Price Crash Forum

Guardian Article

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

That smug, sanctimonious article makes me want to throw up.

House ownership has not made her a 'better', civic minded person.

A genuinely 'civic-minded' person would be civic-minded irrespective of whether they owned or rented.

What it has done is reveal her to be someone who is selfish and doesn't care unless she has an investment in a locality, and is then only acting to order protect her own selfish interests.

To dress that up as 'civic minded' and broadcast that she is a 'better person' is vomit-inducing in the extreme.

Edit: Reading the article again, it does seem that she is being ironic, so perhaps I am a bit harsh on the journalist.

Edited by happy_renting

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

That smug, sanctimonious article makes me want to throw up.

House ownership has not made her a 'better', civic minded person.

A genuinely 'civic-minded' person would be civic-minded irrespective of whether they owned or rented.

What it has done is reveal her to be someone who is selfish and doesn't care unless she has an investment in a locality, and is then only acting to order protect her own selfish interests.

To dress that up as 'civic minded' and broadcast that she is a 'better person' is vomit-inducing in the extreme.

Edit: Reading the article again, it does seem that she is being ironic, so perhaps I am a bit harsh on the journalist.

I think you are being too hard on her. She is expressing her feelings without implying that her feelings are 'correct' or ethical. I have lots of feelings that are not ethical but they are my feelings so if I express them it does not imply my approval of them. Also, I believe the article is a bit tongue-in-cheek. You missed that? :blink:

HOLA448
HOLA449

Think a lot of people missed the tongue-in-cheek.

Is it a novelty publication like the daily mash? That would explain a lot. Sheds new light on the daily mail as well. Hold on a minute, if I extend that thought.... it all makes sense! Reality is one big joke!! Oh thank goodness.

HOLA4410

Is it a novelty publication like the daily mash? That would explain a lot. Sheds new light on the daily mail as well. Hold on a minute, if I extend that thought.... it all makes sense! Reality is one big joke!! Oh thank goodness.

I think it's pretty apparent from the intro

"As of (checks calendar) two weeks ago, I am a better person! I know this because I am now a homeowner and people very kindly keep telling me that being a homeowner is a reflection of my moral excellence."

HOLA4411

Dig down another level and you may discover a Guardianista trying to distance themself from privilege whilst continuing to benefit from it.

Works with racism and all sorts of other social ills too.

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

If you're going to try and pull off an ironic piece like that it really needs to be well-written and funny.

That particular piece is neither impo. Hence the scope for misunderstanding.

edit: Maybe the follow-up article will be a witty little number about how unfair it is that some people who don't write very well get jobs with national newspapers, whilst more interesting writers don't. How we laughed...

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney