House Price Crash Forum

Lottery Winners

Redcellar

HOLA441
"Mr and Mrs Weir have given large donations to several causes, including £1m to the SNP's Scottish independence campaign, since they landed their fortune."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19099777

I'll let you all decide if a £1 million donation to the SNP and the Scottish Independence campaign is a good cause for that significant amount of money.

HOLA442

I'll let you all decide if a £1 million donation to the SNP and the Scottish Independence campaign is a good cause for that significant amount of money.

Like many people, if I won a lot of money I would donate some of it to some sort of homeless people's cause and also buy equipment for my local hospital, extra kidney machines and the like. I would always make very sure every pound went exactly where I expected it to go when giving to any charity, I might go so far as to buy things myself and bring them to the hospital ir arrange delivery directly. I do not like the business that some charities have become

If I were helping the homeless, I'd try to find time to oversee any project myself so I could make sure every penny helped themm rather than through third parties. Some very affluent people give a lot of money to charity, usually in secret, and they don't always have the time to ensure it is spent exactly as they intended as they might be running a business or have a day job as a celebrity etc. But in my case, if I ever got wealthy by winning it, I'd definitely be supervising how my donation was used.

As I've only got a couple of grand in premium bonds and never play the lottery, regrettably my chance of becoming filthy rich are about nil, but that's what I'd do if ever a freak thing happened and I won a lump sum like that. (FWIW I rarely even win £25 on the bonds, last year being the most recent, and never once even won a tenner on the lottery when I used to play it a couple of times each month)

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

No it isn't, but the good causes subheading relates to the lottery "good causes" fund. Though the description of that is also open to question.

HOLA447

If I were helping the homeless, I'd try to find time to oversee any project myself so I could make sure every penny helped themm rather than through third parties. Some very affluent people give a lot of money to charity, usually in secret, and they don't always have the time to ensure it is spent exactly as they intended as they might be running a business or have a day job as a celebrity etc. But in my case, if I ever got wealthy by winning it, I'd definitely be supervising how my donation was used.

Why not donate the item directly then, rather than the cash? (This advice might also well be directed at William Hague)

HOLA448

I think you'd struggle to piss 120 odd million up the wall but you'd probably have a good time trying.

Private plane, massive yacht, new £1m car every year, staff.

IMO it's purely a matter of time before we see the first huge lottery winner declare themselves bankrupt. There have been a few £1m plus who've already spent it all, that electronic tag-wearing binman had over £5m IIRC and he did that in about five years.

HOLA449

Private plane, massive yacht, new £1m car every year, staff.

IMO it's purely a matter of time before we see the first huge lottery winner declare themselves bankrupt. There have been a few £1m plus who've already spent it all, that electronic tag-wearing binman had over £5m IIRC and he did that in about five years.

There must be the overwhelming temptation to chase after ever more unattainable things. You'd probably end up spending your last £10M on a five minute fumble with Kelly Brook, that sort of thing.

HOLA4410

No it isn't, but the good causes subheading relates to the lottery "good causes" fund. Though the description of that is also open to question.

I wasn't referring to the good causes the lottery contributes to. Just asking if the SNP and independence is a good charity to fund. I know it's their money to spend but seems a little odd to put a large donation into a specific political campaign and call it charity. seems an inappropriate term to me.

HOLA4411

I've always thought that if I or my family or my friends caught something life threatening, that I would hope I would not campaign for that particular ailment but for something entirely unrelated.

Like Scottish Independence?

Good on you. I'm English and I campaign for it ;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yes!!!

Just think of the joy that'll bring to our powers-that be :lol::lol::lol:

(and seriously, good to hear that people winning such silly money don't look like letting it destroy them).

HOLA4415

I think you'd struggle to piss 120 odd million up the wall but you'd probably have a good time trying.

Conrad Black had a lot more than that, but it wasn't enough. The opposite extreme to that for which Gandhi was famous.

Your perspective is moulded by upbringing and expectations.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

That would be great :lol:

Englishman wins £120million and bankrolls the SNP :lol:

Tells them to "hurry up and f-ck off!"

I might almost be tempted ...

Not to anything so crude. But our constitution is horribly broken, and there's only one proposal to fix it coming from anywhere in UK politics. Haven't seen any proposed fixes from Alistair Darling and the "better together" campaign: only the likelihood of some extra bribes to those who get a vote on the matter (i.e. the Scots).

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

100% a good cause - I am English and seriously beginning to think that scottish independence, true independence, is a great idea.

And it would make it a bit easier to get rid of Nothern Ireland. I'm all for Ireland for the Irish (taxpayer). The Protestant population might not like it, but didn't most of them come from Scotland in the first place? Europe can look after Catholic Ireland and the Protestant section can go and experience Scottish taxpayer benovolence. That should improve the English economy a bit.

All right, simplistic in the extreme, but one can dream......

HOLA4420

Just asking if the SNP and independence is a good charity to fund. I know it's their money to spend but seems a little odd to put a large donation into a specific political campaign and call it charity. seems an inappropriate term to me.

Ahem.....

"Mr and Mrs Weir have given large donations to several causes, including £1m to the SNP's Scottish independence campaign, since they landed their fortune."

A 'cause' isn't a charity. A donation need not be charitable.

I'm glad to see so much support for Scottish independence, can I suggest you lobby your MP to allow us a binding referendum?

Archived