House Price Crash Forum

Labour Mep Says We Should Have Joined The Euro!

HOLA441

The UK as an exporting economy that could support 60+million is just a non starter. The only time the UK survived thus was when it had access to cheap resources from countries it colonised. The UK now has very little in the way of natural resources and with it's own currency is vulnerable to price shocks from other parts of the world where resources are exported that it needs. The rest of Europe understands this which is why countries wishing to join the Euro vastly outnumber countries who want to remain isolated. Outside the Euro, the UK will continue to decline and house prices will never fall as Merv and his successors continue to support the Ponzi economy.

Countries are joining the Euro to get on the subsidy gravy train and borrow money to fund spending....

HOLA442

The UK as an exporting economy that could support 60+million is just a non starter.

What other option is there, begging?

The UK now has very little in the way of natural resources and with it's own currency is vulnerable to price shocks from other parts of the world where resources are exported that it needs.

Seems to work OK for Switzerland.

Outside the Euro, the UK will continue to decline and house prices will never fall as Merv and his successors continue to support the Ponzi economy.

The government could cause house prices to crash tomorrow if it wanted to. I suspect however that the majority view on HPC is a minority in the wider voting population.

None of us can know for sure, but I suggest that we would be in a far worse position inside the Euro than we are outside.

HOLA443

What other option is there, begging?

Become a state with the European federation or die.

Seems to work OK for Switzerland.

With a much smaller population and a better class of immigrant

The government could cause house prices to crash tomorrow if it wanted to. I suspect however that the majority view on HPC is a minority in the wider voting population.

They wont because the economy is based upon a housing Ponzi and will continue to be so as long as the UK can manipulate it's economy through currency debasement.

None of us can know for sure, but I suggest that we would be in a far worse position inside the Euro than we are outside.

The past 5 years would have seen a hpc and lower inflation within the Euro which I suspect most on here would have found better than what exists with the pound. There would still have been bank bailouts and unemployment but at least there would have been an upside for those in work wanting to buy a house.

HOLA444

Become a state with the European federation or die.

Other than the fact we are there already, how will it help us pay our bills? Or are you expecting Germany to bail us out as well?

[seems to work OK for Switzerland.] With a much smaller population and a better class of immigrant

It also worked for big low-immigration Japan for 50 years, until they took their eyes off the export ball.

The past 5 years would have seen a hpc and lower inflation within the Euro which I suspect most on here would have found better than what exists with the pound. There would still have been bank bailouts and unemployment but at least there would have been an upside for those in work wanting to buy a house.

We can't know this. The UK is a big enough economy that our membership would have changed the dynamics. This is ignoring of course that our economy was never sufficiently aligned with the Eurozone to make entrance practical.

The other issue is that the next 5 years are likely to be more important than the last 5.

Edited by the shaping machine

HOLA445

Other than the fact we are there already, how will it help us pay our bills? Or are you expecting Germany to bail us out as well?

It also worked for big low-immigration Japan for 50 years, until they took their eyes off the export ball.

We can't know this. The UK is a big enough economy that our membership would have changed the dynamics. This is ignoring of course that our economy was never sufficiently aligned with the Eurozone to make entrance practical.

The other issue is that the next 5 years are likely to be more important than the last 5.

So you are looking forward to 5 more years of printing, high inflation,stagnant house prices then. At least in 5 years you will only have another 5 years of cuts left though.

HOLA446
Britain would have not faced many of the issues it found itself dealing with regarding the European Union if we had been there at the beginning rather than leaving it until 1973 to join.

Not only has she got her facts a**e about face but the reason we did not join the EEC until 1973 was because that hooked nose false French hero De Gaulle took pleasure ******** on us after we liberated his country when he said that famous NON and we finally joined when he departed this Earth.

Now for a rendering of Jerusalem. ;)

HOLA447

De Gaulle was reported as saying "he wanted to see Britain enter into the Common Market stripped naked".

Apparently he later denied ever saying that but in the event the outcome has been pretty close to his wishes if he ever did say that.

There again apparently De Gaulle was sheltered by Britain during WW2 so who knows who was pulling his strings in those days and deciding the NON - or maybe he was completely independent.

The Labour Mep claims in her article that the European Union existed in 1973 but it didn't. It was the Common Market in those days. The actual European Union didn't start until 1993.

Edited by billybong

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

It seems Nu Labour, from Brown to Blair are completely raving mad...

"Former PM Tony Blair Suggests Britain Could Still Join The Euro"

"Mr Blair - a prominent Europhile - refused to accept that the single currency's troubles meant the UK would never join."

Will someone, anyone, please tell this war criminal to fxck off. The man is a disgrace. Deluded with his own self importance, an arraogance beyond belief. How on earth does he thnk anyone in their right mind would want this compulsive liar back in responsible position of power?

Nothing like a bit of humility...

"He also appeared to hint that he would be interested in the role of EU president in the future."I have always said I am a public service person first. I would have been happy to carry on as prime minister, I would have been happy taking the European job as president of the EU," Mr Blair added."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/06/24/former-pm-tony-blair-suggest-britain-joins-euro_n_1621995.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Edited by Thunderbird 900