House Price Crash Forum

Council Car Parking Tariffs On Sunday And Bank Holidays.

longtomsilver

HOLA441

Taking advantage of the free Sunday/Bank Holiday parking at my city centre council operated car park that's near to some lovely recreational facilities, usually I traipse in from further afield children in-tow kicking and screaming, I refuse to pay 70p for 30minutes or £2 for upto two hours.

Anyway, I was amazed to see a rather smart looking man about to feed the ticket machine money, this was in spite of there being clear tariffs and instructions on the attached notice board and the key details regarding free parking were helpfully the ownly text in bold print and really stood out. I stopped him putting his money in the machine, joking that while there's no fee today the machine would gladly take his money, he thanked me and this incident drew my attention to the dashboards of all cars on the way to the park. There were 2 tickets displayed with today's date out of 12 cars and 3.5 rows of cars so one can only assume 7 people can't read, are financially illiterate or so wealthy that they consider this a token gesture/charity donation for the good work that councillors do.

Bank holiday madness :rolleyes:

HOLA442

a fool and his money are soon parted , i too have pointed this out to people with some of them looking at me as if i have 2 heads and for them to say " well other cars have paid and its better to be safe than sorry " crack on lol

HOLA443
HOLA444

People are so used to being ripped off nowadays they just are programmed to accept it. Old couple (tourists i assume) wandering around the car park in a town not far from me that still has free parking. I was waiting in the car, they knock on my window and ask where the ticket machine is. I tell them parking is free, they almost died of shock i think.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Wear a fluorescent overall at the entrance on Monday, say to drivers "reduced bank holiday rate £5 all day". Give them a special yellow sticky note or some sort of receipt.

In my impoverished youth I was sorely tempted to do just that in my home town on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights at a University campus car park where most parked to void the £3.40 fee imposed in the council run one. As you said fluorescent overall and the addition of a moveable ticket booth and collection sign. £2 a car thank you very much, it's a shame I was as honest then as I am now.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I wasn't aware that you had to request a ticket for the free allocation?

only when they give you free 30mins during normal paying hours - IE 8am to 6pm, press green button get 30mins free, but out side these times no ticket required. alot of councils and even private run carparks give you a free period, but they dont always advertise it clearly enough.

HOLA4410

In my impoverished youth I was sorely tempted to do just that in my home town on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights at a University campus car park where most parked to void the £3.40 fee imposed in the council run one. As you said fluorescent overall and the addition of a moveable ticket booth and collection sign. £2 a car thank you very much, it's a shame I was as honest then as I am now.

In one or two seaside tourist towns during high season you don't even have to bother with the kit. A plastic chair and a bottle of cider is all you need. You can even be topless, there'll still be people giving you cash to park on land that may or may not belong to you.