House Price Crash Forum

Eurozone Debt Web: Who Owes What To Whom?

m4nclad

HOLA441

According to the way I read the BBC report, the UK owes about 1.4 trillion Euro's to other countries, BUT - the UK is owed 7.3trillion Euro's by other countries.

Could somebody tell me, if I have understood this correctly? this really is news to me!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15748696

I've got so many questions here, but before I ask I want to make sure my understanding is correct!

HOLA442

According to the way I read the BBC report, the UK owes about 1.4 trillion Euro's to other countries, BUT - the UK is owed 7.3trillion Euro's by other countries.

Could somebody tell me, if I have understood this correctly? this really is news to me!

I've got so many questions here, but before I ask I want to make sure my understanding is correct!

Other way round, UK owes 7.3 trillion total, and is owed 1.4 trn by the countries in the link - it's not the total that is owed to the UK though, you can't work that out from the information on there.

HOLA443

Huh? Where do you get those figures from anything in the BBC figures?

It gives figures for total debt (€7.3 trillion - did you read that as a credit?), but not the credit side of the balance sheet, which I presume to be rather smaller. Obviously the City of London figures heavily on both sides of that balance sheet.

It doesn't give a methodology: what exactly is included in the calculation? For example: consider the National Grid's debt, which is in the tens-of-billions. That's owed to investors around the world and presumably shown as both UK debt and UK credit, the latter representing the portion of the debt owned by UK investors. But National Grid also has substantial US operations and revenues. Does NG's investment in the US count as a US-to-UK debt in these figures?

HOLA444

when you need euros to buy a thing in Europe, the Bank does the financials....you have paid for your thing.

Again, this is BANKS overdoing the "investment" side of things.

business doesnt require huge overhang in debt just to do a trade.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Other way round, UK owes 7.3 trillion total, and is owed 1.4 trn by the countries in the link - it's not the total that is owed to the UK though, you can't work that out from the information on there.

So a round of EU state defaults would leave us in pocket to the tune of 5.9trn ... I say we go for it B)

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410