House Price Crash Forum

British Workers Are Lazy

HOLA441

Billionaire - tells us that UK workers are lazy and unwilling to go the extra mile.

British workers are lazy and unwilling to go the extra mile, says billionaire steel chief as he axes 1,500 jobs from UK factories

I not sure what he means by "workers" - if he is talking about minimum wage jobs like supermarkets, fast food, factories - I think these people work pretty hard for the money they earn, and go the extra mile everyday.

If he is talking about corporate environments - These places are riddled with lazy parasitic chancers, often in senior positions who don't give a damn, and there only objective is to keep their job as long as possible, whilst extracting as much cash as possible, then its on to the next job - I am right with him there.

HOLA442

Give people an equal share of the company and they'll have the motivation to 'go the extra mile'. Otherwise they'll do the hours they're paid for, as any contractor would do. It's funny how these giants of business seem to have such a blind spot for business in the form of personal employment arrangements.

HOLA443

He means we aren't like the Indians or Eastern Europeans he's used to exploiting.

If you wear rags and live in a mud hut you'll jump at the chance of being "employed" for 12p an hour and won't mind that you aren't given protective clothing., pension provisions, medical care or even a proper contract.

British workers are b@stards because they won't put up with a Dickensian approach to work.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Its just his banal excuse for axing the jobs. It was always a good bet that Tata would close down operations here and move to where there is cheaper labour. Its to do with profit and nothing else. Even if the staff were working round the clock and jumping to his every whim the jobs still would have gone IMO.

HOLA447
HOLA448
He added that in India, 'if you are in a crisis, if it means working to midnight, you would do it.'

The big boss says "We need this by next year". The high level manager is interested in bringing it in on or ahead of time and says to the middle manager "We need this in 9 months". The middle manager applies the same logic and says to the junior manager "We need this in 6 months", who tells his staff it must be finished in three. It has been my experience that every project I have ever worked on, management wants it delivered tomorrow. They always say every single project is important and in crisis. In effect they are 'Crying Wolf'. Not surprisingly, the workers fail to react when there is an actual wolf.

The workers are not stupid, they are willing to help out when a crisis occurs because they know their jobs are on the line. The problem is the managers turning every day into a crisis day.

HOLA449

Its just his banal excuse for axing the jobs. It was always a good bet that Tata would close down operations here and move to where there is cheaper labour. Its to do with profit and nothing else. Even if the staff were working round the clock and jumping to his every whim the jobs still would have gone IMO.

Yup just like Japan, whereby official hours are 8 hours a day, but if you go home without putting in 16 hours a day you are pretty much treated as a traitor. And Japanese people die from overwork rather frequently too!

HOLA4410

Can you paraphrase this for me. I've just got up and can't be bothered to read the thread?

Paraphrasing sounds like parachuting. Does it involve moving?

Can`t be bothered to Google or for that matter Spell check either.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Archived