House Price Crash Forum

Social Networking Linked To Rise In Stds: How Health Experts Blame Facebook For Making It Easier To Find Casual Sex

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1388719/Social-networking-linked-STD-rise-Facebook-blamed-making-casual-sex-easier.html

A rise in sexually transmitted diseases among teens and young adults could be attributed to social networking websites, a report has suggested.

Health experts said a recent spike in STDs in America may be due to users letting their guards down before meeting someone in person.

They also said online social networking can make it easier to move on to multiple partners before learning about their sexual history.

OK hands up who has ever inquired about someone's sexual history before having sex with them?

Although someone's sexual history in meaningless unless they haven't slept with anyone. You could be the biggest nympho on the planet but if you use condoms all the time you might have no STD's, however someone who's slept with one person could be infected if they didn't use condoms.

Can't wait for the revelation that communicating with people you fancy increases the chances of you sleeping with them.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

http://www.dailymail...sex-easier.html

OK hands up who has ever inquired about someone's sexual history before having sex with them?

Although someone's sexual history in meaningless unless they haven't slept with anyone. You could be the biggest nympho on the planet but if you use condoms all the time you might have no STD's, however someone who's slept with one person could be infected if they didn't use condoms.

Can't wait for the revelation that communicating with people you fancy increases the chances of you sleeping with them.

Let's face it, simply being born increases the chances of catching a STD.

:(

HOLA446

Heh I bet some WGs would be cleaner than some of the village bicycles around here..... if I wanted to shag some of the local talent (which I don't) I wouldn't feel safe without quadruple bagging it.

HOLA447

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1388719/Social-networking-linked-STD-rise-Facebook-blamed-making-casual-sex-easier.html

Form 1-C/ii from your local post office. Take a pocketful down to your local club and some spare ikea pencils, and hand them out. works a treat.

HOLA448

This story appears to be speculation, pure and simple. Have the people interviewed in the Wail story done any systematic data gathering to determine if their VD patients met any of their partners using social networking sites? From what I'm reading, they are simply saying 'cases of VD are increasing among 14-24 year olds, 14-24 year olds use social networking sites, therefore the two must be linked.' That is not quite as random as Norman Tebbit's infamous suggestion that obesity is caused by ånal intercourse, but surely a close second.

If we're going to try a spot of off-piste speculation, my $0.02 is that my generation, uniquely, was scared into taking VD seriously by the emergence of AIDS in the mid-80s, in a way that generations before or since were not. When the disease first emerged, it was widely believed that it was highly contagious (i.e. any unprotected sexual activity involving someone HIV+ was guaranteed to transmit it), inevitably killed you in a few months and was very gruesome and painful in the process. As a teenager in the late '80s and early '90s, a joke that went around the playground was that the acronym stood for "årse-injected death sentence". It was accurate in reflecting the widespread belief that it was a death sentence. Add to that the widespread propaganda to the effect that abstinence (or at least, limiting sexual activity) and condoms protected you against it, and risky practices decreased exponentially. As a result of that, not only did the spread of HIV decrease, but that of other VDs and unwanted pregnancies as well.

HIV/AIDS no longer has the public image of an inevitable killer, at least in the developed world. OK, it's unpleasant and chronic, but ask most people in the street and they'll tell you that with a cocktail of drugs, it's manageable. As a result, the two methods of VD prevention most widely practised - correct condom use and limiting your sexual activity to serial monogamy (i.e. small numbers of long-term partners, and not more than one at the same time) - have both been in decline, because VD is increasingly being seen as a less serious issue.

My other half is a gynaecologist, and tells me that the belief that condom use guarantees safety is to a large extent a myth. She sees countless unwanted pregnancies as a result of them having been used incorrectly or breaking 'in action', so to speak, and is convinced that a lot of VD transmission probably happens that way, too.

Archived