House Price Crash Forum

Come Home To A Real Fire – Buy A House In Wales

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

I am currently in Wales - at The Celtic Manor, for those who know it. First time back in 9 years, the restaurant was rammed last night and it ain't cheap. I also went back to my alma mater in Swansea, boy has the housing landscape of that place changed in the last 15 or so years. Funny thing is, as TMT observes, the average Joe there has as little cash as he did 20 years ago, so where is all the money coming from?

I also had a conspiratorial thought about the Wales situation. If it is true that most of the Welsh have a huge disdain for the English (and, based on my experience as an English student in Wales, that is an understatement) and if it is true that the majority of the population rely on the public purse for income, either via benefits or public sector employment, surely they are merely milking the (English-dominated and funded) system for all they can before it goes down and/or are helping to bring down that same (English) system from within?

Yes, there's so much deep hostillity it can shock. Weird thing is many English people don't even notice what people are doing / saying about them, or perhaps it's easier to ignore it. My view is that Wales needs to grow up, and the only way we'll ever do that is by being cut free from Mother England. We need to be forced to stand on our own 2 feet. To be forced into independence. No more subsidies from Westminster thanks. Then we can make a go of it and start blaming ourselves rather than our neighbours.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA442

Yes, there's so much deep hostillity it can shock. Weird thing is many English people don't even notice what people are doing / saying about them, or perhaps it's easier to ignore it. My view is that Wales needs to grow up, and the only way we'll ever do that is by being cut free from Mother England. We need to be forced to stand on our own 2 feet. To be forced into independence. No more subsidies from Westminster thanks. Then we can make a go of it and start blaming ourselves rather than our neighbours.

Scotland too.

Thing is, they can't survive alone. As a Scot living in England, I've no idea why the English are not chomping at the bit to be shot of them both. At present they're just cash sinks, with little or no appreciation or benefit in return. The Scottish imposition of Uni fees on England via the Scottish Labour majority was an unforgivable act of partisan politics at its worst.

I think independence would enhance both countries in the end, as you say it would force a maturing of thought. It's easy to be left wing when it's other people's money, especially those a grudge is borne against.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I STR'd in 2005 and am now trying to buy a detached family house in Lymington, Hampshire. As a cash buyer I thought it would be pretty straightforward. I asked the EA what percentage of detached houses went to cash buyers? She looked a bit surprised at the question, "virtually all of course".

:blink:

That rumour appears to be true.

Get on the blower to Paul Jackson, he's a nice honest EA who works for pleasure rather than for the monetary element, I'm sure he'll keep his eyes peeled for you.

Edited by Money Spinner

HOLA446

who are the cash buyers from outside of wales that are bumping prices up?

I can understand it in devon and cornwall but with all due respect ( and I mean that even though I always ride you about being welch :) ) who would be doing this really?

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest tbatst2000

I can understand it in devon and cornwall but with all due respect ( and I mean that even though I always ride you about being welch :) ) who would be doing this really?

The Welsh coast is beautiful. Travel times from the South East aside, I can't see why anyone wanting a holiday home wouldn't go there by preference.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

It's not just in Wales though.

Many of my friends back home in Lancashire say similar especially those further North towards the Lakes. Property was being snapped up by people jumping on the BTL wagon.

5 years ago renting a 2 bed house would be about £45 per week. It's more than double now yet the wages on average in Lancashire are about as low as anywhere in the UK.

90 a week for a 2 bed house is still nothing. In the South West you'd be paying 600-1000/ month just to rent a small apartment.

HOLA4411

The ingenuity of whingeing knows no limits. A failed independent Welsh state would soon persuade itself that it wasn't their fault at all, and that England was still to blame.

HOLA4412

Anyone in the northwest who listens to local radio will be familiair with these guys:

www.plascochholidayhomes.co.uk

They have been desperately trying to offload units for as long as I can remember. Must have spent hundreds of thousands on radio advertising, and now they are appearing on TV. God help the poor saps who actually bought one off-plan in 2007

HOLA4413

90 a week for a 2 bed house is still nothing. In the South West you'd be paying 600-1000/ month just to rent a small apartment.

The wages in the South West are typically much higher than they are in the North West. The £90 a week is not for a nice place, just an old fashioned mid-terrace 2 up 2 down type property with floral carpets and wood-chip wall paper. The kitchen is usually in the space under the stairs.

Here in Swansea we do let small apartments on the Marina for around £550, but they have excellent views, furnished to a high standard. We also let 2 bed mid-terraced houses for £400 a month which are similar to the ones up North. Having said that many wages in Swansea are similar to those up North if you work in a factory or similar.

HOLA4414