House Price Crash Forum

Estate Agent Commission In London

HOLA441

A friend of mine is selling up in London, Clapham Area.

They've been quote some ridiculous % commission to sell + VAT, highest being 3%, in real terms works out at 1000's...they have the check to quote ex-vat....like a dodgy garage.

Anyone who has sold around this area, what commission did you pay and who did you use ?

Thanks in Advance.

HOLA442

They've been quote some ridiculous % commission to sell + VAT, highest being 3%, in real terms works out at 1000's...they have the check to quote ex-vat....like a dodgy garage.

Anyone who has sold around this area, what commission did you pay and who did you use ?

Thanks in Advance.

A bit different as on London/Essex borders but was quoted flat rate of £2000 from 3 major agencies. Valuation was about 120K so about 1.6-1.7%

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Thanks in Advance.

Sold begining of year with Foxtons, Islingon, 2.5% plus vat.

Needless to say I paid them 10's of £1,000 in commission but they did pump up price.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll mention it to my friend.

They are in negotiation with 3 agents now and one is down to 1% + VAT !!!! They are have asked for 1% inc VAT and will go with the one the agrees.

Anyone paying 2.5% really needs their heads examined. 2.5% was maybe okay 10 years ago when the properties were worth 80K. and the cost of selling was high. Now the cost of selling is low ( i.e. rightmove, instead of local rags ) and the houses are ridiculously over-priced.

2.5%....there should be a law against that. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4415

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll mention it to my friend.

They are in negotiation with 3 agents now and one is down to 1% + VAT !!!! They are have asked for 1% inc VAT and will go with the one the agrees.

Anyone paying 2.5% really needs their heads examined. 2.5% was maybe okay 10 years ago when the properties were worth 80K. and the cost of selling was high. Now the cost of selling is low ( i.e. rightmove, instead of local rags ) and the houses are ridiculously over-priced.

2.5%....there should be a law against that. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I paid 1.5% plus VAT but that was completion at the beginning of 2008. (Townends.)

Quote was probably early Aug. 07, just before the crunch hit.

HOLA4416

Here is the score on the door....

After a day of haggling they got 2 offers on 1% including VAT and 1 offer of 1% excluding VAT.

They have gone for the 1% ex VAT for some reason...said it was a much bigger agent and had plenty of sales in their road recently.

Not according to the land registry they dont !!!

So it's a case of sellers beware...if you are paying more than 1% commision, then DONT.