House Price Crash Forum

Uk Doomed!

ken_ichikawa

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I thought that this may have been a wind up since the example looked like something that I remember from junior school maths books. Sadly, it seems to be pretty typical of the gcse past papers that I came across.

I have long been aware that the state education system is dumbing down our children but had no idea that it has reached this stage so quickly. It must now be obvious to anyone that has looked at this thread that tptb only want a population of mindless cattle content to flip burgers and watch the x factor.

HOLA446

Mymaths.co.uk covers maths concepts from Primary school to A2 level.

That is not a higher level (C+) GCSE question.

I attach the June 2009 Higher Tier (A* to C grade) non-calculator paper taken by our pupils. Comprehensive School, northern England. There is also a paper for which calculators are allowed, but no coursework.

AQA-4306-1H-W-QP-JUN09.PDF

AQA-4306-1H-W-QP-JUN09.PDF

HOLA447
HOLA448

Mymaths.co.uk covers maths concepts from Primary school to A2 level.

That is not a higher level (C+) GCSE question.

I attach the June 2009 Higher Tier (A* to C grade) non-calculator paper taken by our pupils. Comprehensive School, northern England. There is also a paper for which calculators are allowed, but no coursework.

Good grief! How could you get anything other than an A* on that paper and still tie your shoe laces? There were questions on that paper that are similar to questions that were taught to 9 and 10 year olds when I was a child at a backwater state school, e.g.

(3 +3/4) / (1+ 2/3) (3 marks!!!!)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Good grief! How could you get anything other than an A* on that paper and still tie your shoe laces? There were questions on that paper that are similar to questions that were taught to 9 and 10 year olds when I was a child at a backwater state school, e.g.

(3 +3/4) / (1+ 2/3) (3 marks!!!!)

I don't think that that's got too much worse in the last 20-odd years. At any rate I remember GCSE maths being a complete doddle, probably about that level (although I think back then it was at least devoid of the childish "put it in a scene" approach).

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Sorry, but I think that paper is just OK. I used to score 95-100% regularly for mock tests leading up to my GCSE maths and this is no different. I normally don't bother to open links like that but I'm glad I did - has given me some confidence in the system!

I think the key point there is 'GCSE'. I did my GCE 'O' level in 1979 and, although it's over 30 years ago, I am convinced the questions were much harder than this. For a start we weren't given formulae.

I'll show it to my 15 year old later and see what she thinks.

This is an 'O' level maths paper from 1968. It's the B paper which was the easier.

1968 O Level Maths

IMHO it's much more difficult. No formulae and the last question B11 looks a real 'sting in the tail'

(edited to add link)

Archived