House Price Crash Forum

About This Web Site

HOLA441

Sorry, I know this is off topic and will be moved - but I just want to list it here so the mods see it.

Are you aware of the things this site does (for me anyway) using Internet Explorer 8?

It used to be you couldn't edit posts - but, thank heavens, you've fixed this.

Now I find:

Cookies don't seem to work - I have to log in every time now - have done for some weeks

When you start a thread, your first post never goes off the screen, the screen just freezes with the progress bar moving at a snail's pace at the bottom of the window. If you give up and click to go somewhere else, you see your post has been recorded

When editing posts, the formatting doesn't work properly. If you quote someone and, for example, highlight something they have said in a different colour and you then want to make some text bold in the answer you have made below the quote - when you click to make your text bold, it makes the text whose colour you have just changed bold instead.

As this forum software is widely used, it puzzles me it is so buggy.

HOLA442

Sorry, I know this is off topic and will be moved - but I just want to list it here so the mods see it.

Are you aware of the things this site does (for me anyway) using Internet Explorer 8?

Now I find:

Cookies don't seem to work - I have to log in every time now - have done for some weeks

When you start a thread, your first post never goes off the screen, the screen just freezes with the progress bar moving at a snail's pace at the bottom of the window. If you give up and click to go somewhere else, you see your post has been recorded

When editing posts, the formatting doesn't work properly. If you quote someone and, for example, highlight something they have said in a different colour and you then want to make some text bold in the answer you have made below the quote - when you click to make your text bold, it makes the text whose colour you have just changed bold instead.

As this forum software is widely used, it puzzles me it is so buggy.

It's quite simple, don't use IE8. :)

HOLA443

Now I find:

Have had this for over a year, posted about it earlier in the week and Doccyboy has raised with admins.

Had this up to a few weeks ago (I'm on Firefox) but it works ok now.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I knew I would be told to use Firefox ... and I do quite often. Just forget to ... habitually open IE.

I know IE has its problems - but, generally speaking, I don't have issues with it on any other web site. This is the only one where cookies don't seem to work any more (always used to).

Seems like issues are being addressed so just have to wait and hope.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

General principle of software design - support users browser choice, plus IE8 has about 30% of the market share. Only lazy developers blame users.

I was only suggesting that IE8 is shit... What if the user chooses a shit browser (i.e. the lazy developer that you are talking about is the developer of the browser, not the forum software)?

HOLA4412

General principle of software design - support users browser choice, plus IE8 has about 30% of the market share. Only lazy developers blame users.

Website developers should stick to standards. A site developed to web standards will display correctly in Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome, Seamonkey, Konqueror, and any number of other browsers. Hacking your website with quirks so it displays correctly in faulty software such as IE8 makes it less likely to work properly in a range of other browsers.