House Price Crash Forum

Blood Glucose Levels

Pezerinno

HOLA441

My blood glucose level after a 12 hour fast is 6.7 which I believe is the pre diabetes range. I'm a 6'3" male, mid twenties, 185lbs ~ 10% BF%. I exercise, don't eat sugar and only have a bit of pasta/potatoes etc most of my carbs are from fruit/vegetables. Just tried a diabetes strip urine test which came back negative but still worried that it is too high. Any thoughts? Thanks.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

My blood glucose level after a 12 hour fast is 6.7 which I believe is the pre diabetes range. I'm a 6'3" male, mid twenties, 185lbs ~ 10% BF%. I exercise, don't eat sugar and only have a bit of pasta/potatoes etc most of my carbs are from fruit/vegetables. Just tried a diabetes strip urine test which came back negative but still worried that it is too high. Any thoughts? Thanks.

OHCM puts the threshold of diabetes at 7 mmol and impaired fasting glucose at >6.1 mmol which puts a 6.7 in the IFG range. If you did it at home, do it again. I'd do it again anyway.

Probably best to talk to your doc... You'll probably cop a lot of lifestyle advice which probably won't help given what you've written above.

I wouldn't take any advice from here btw, least of all mine which I warrant for neither accuracy nor appropriateness etc.

HOLA443

You need a more definitive test as a marker of glucose exposure over the past couple of months, not just one night. Assuming your fasting BG is 6.7 or thereabouts repeatedly (not just as a one-off) you could ask your GP for a HbA1c test if you're worried whether any intervention is warranted. This test is the gold standard for whether there's an issue or not.

HOLA444
Guest Noodle

Get to the Doctor. I waited until it near killed me. Quality of life now ruined.

My blood glucose runs up into the high twenties. The complications of diabetes can be very horrible.

Stay away from food and drink. Only consume air.

HOLA445

Thanks guys - I realise it is best to see my GP just wanted to see what HPCers had to say! It was high (can't remember the number) when I had it done a few years back at the chemist so I don't think it has increased at least but I do wonder what is making it so high especially considering my lifestyle.

EDIT: to say both times I have had it taken (once at chemist and once with a nurse) they didn't seem to be concerned.

HOLA446

I think you'll find your doctor, assuming he's any good, is better equipped to advise you than the denizens of HPC. The docs on here won't advise you on a forum, you'll only get stuff from King Stromba and the like. Some of it interesting, some of it dangerous!

When I did a test, I was told to eat a big meal beforehand and did so, so don't see why you tested after a fast.

HOLA447

I think you'll find your doctor, assuming he's any good, is better equipped to advise you than the denizens of HPC. The docs on here won't advise you on a forum, you'll only get stuff from King Stromba and the like. Some of it interesting, some of it dangerous!

When I did a test, I was told to eat a big meal beforehand and did so, so don't see why you tested after a fast.

I think if it is higher than ideal they tell you to do the test again after fasting. I will see a GP but thaks for your concern.

HOLA448

get on some good chromium and magnesium supplements , most important thing

curezone.com has some good health forums you may also like to get advice from

by the way mid 20s? sounds a little young to get type 2 diabetes.stress can cause diabetes via raising cortisol (which raises blood sugar levels) , the treatment for this is also magnesium amongst other things.

HOLA449

To the OP: Fasting BG is absolutely correct and standard as a first test. Testing after a big meal or sugar drink is generally a glucose tolerance test to find how high your glucose goes before the insulin response kicks in and brings the level back down. These 2 tests are therefore testing different aspects of glucose metabolism - both useful. Ignore wacko dietary or supplement advice. If you have a normal healthy diet you're very unlikely to be deficient in any way that impacts glucose metabolism.

HOLA4410

To the OP: Fasting BG is absolutely correct and standard as a first test. Testing after a big meal or sugar drink is generally a glucose tolerance test to find how high your glucose goes before the insulin response kicks in and brings the level back down. These 2 tests are therefore testing different aspects of glucose metabolism - both useful. Ignore wacko dietary or supplement advice. If you have a normal healthy diet you're very unlikely to be deficient in any way that impacts glucose metabolism.

if he doesn't have a mineral deficiency then it's highly unlikely he has diabetes II anyway

sugar and refined carbs cause these mineral deficiencies which is what usually sets adult diabetes off

HOLA4411

if he doesn't have a mineral deficiency then it's highly unlikely he has diabetes II anyway

sugar and refined carbs cause these mineral deficiencies which is what usually sets adult diabetes off

Well I'd like to be open minded about it, but while excess sugar and refined carbs undoubtedly encourage diabetes, I've never seen any evidence suggesting mineral deficiency plays a part, the sugar being a quite adequate explanation in itself. Presumably you have some scientific source for the assertion (and not from the VI seller of the supplements...)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Prolly want to try a 24 hour fast (I do this twice a week, yesterday was fast day). Also if do a blood test after waking it can be a little higher and the body compensates for low blood pressure during the night.Strange its so high even though you are controlling the carbs.

HOLA4415

Pretty sure, why?

I just find it unusual that's all. So no fruit ? Nothing with any sugar in it at all ? Do we not require sugar ? I don't know this stuff - perhaps the resident nutritionists will be along to help.

HOLA4416

I just find it unusual that's all. So no fruit ? Nothing with any sugar in it at all ? Do we not require sugar ? I don't know this stuff - perhaps the resident nutritionists will be along to help.

Well can't generalise. Depends on age and how fit/active you are. If you are burning the carbs through intense exercise and workouts, then its not so much of an issue. The more I look into it, the more I realise that insulin management is so important, for diabetics and non diabetics alike, especially if you want to say reasonably lean. Its the "fat storage in chief" hormone. I'd avoid pretty much all grains, but the OP should see a doctor.

HOLA4417

Well can't generalise. Depends on age and how fit/active you are. If you are burning the carbs through intense exercise and workouts, then its not so much of an issue. The more I look into it, the more I realise that insulin management is so important, for diabetics and non diabetics alike, especially if you want to say reasonably lean. Its the "fat storage in chief" hormone. I'd avoid pretty much all grains, but the OP should see a doctor.

I am wondering if 'no sugar' actually means no added sugar rather than no sugar at all.

I just a did a wee google on Diabetes. Very interesting. However the 'normal' levels they stated were between 70 and 120 ? How does that fit in with the 6.7 level above. Confused...

HOLA4418

I am wondering if 'no sugar' actually means no added sugar rather than no sugar at all.

I just a did a wee google on Diabetes. Very interesting. However the 'normal' levels they stated were between 70 and 120 ? How does that fit in with the 6.7 level above. Confused...

Multiply 6.7 x 18 to convert from mmol/l to mg/dl 6.7 = 120

HOLA4419

You don't eat sugar ? Are you sure about that ?!

I found that surprising too. You'd have to be some kind of cook-from-scratch nazi (like me) to avoid it.

Incidentally, does anyone have any experience / views on xylitol?

I believe it has a glycemic index of 7, yet tastes as sweet as sugar.

oh, and yes, I do mean 7.

comapre w/ sugars:

Maltose-105

Glucose-100

Honey-73

Sucrose-65

Table sugar-65

Lactose-46

Fructose-23

HOLA4420

Multiply 6.7 x 18 to convert from mmol/l to mg/dl 6.7 = 120

Aha !! Cheers.

Now reading about the causes of Diabetes - may it be that some people just have pancreas that produce insulin better than average, just like there are those who do the opposite and end up in diabetes ?

And so there may be some people out there who could eat loads and loads of sugars and be perfectly fine ?

I suppose those in the South Pacific are an example of a group of people whose pancreas cannot cope with producing enough insulin, as their diet was not used to it until recently. Now doubt they willl develop though. Same as Aborigines in Australia and alcohol. I am sure in a few hundred years they will cope with bevvy almost as well as the white folk.

HOLA4421

"No added sugar" is a marketing phrase ans has no nutritional value.

I'm surprised the anti-sugar nazis haven't piled into this thread like they usually do with their pseudo-science.

If the OP is lean and exercises, he can forget about diabetes. Fast response sugars are probably what he needs to be having more of - a fast acting whey protein&glucose shake immediately after workout is the perfect food to spike insulin and ward off the deleterious effects of cortisol. Your muscles are crying out for energy like this if you've just worked out.

HOLA4422

Aha !! Cheers.

Now reading about the causes of Diabetes - may it be that some people just have pancreas that produce insulin better than average, just like there are those who do the opposite and end up in diabetes ?

And so there may be some people out there who could eat loads and loads of sugars and be perfectly fine ?

I suppose those in the South Pacific are an example of a group of people whose pancreas cannot cope with producing enough insulin, as their diet was not used to it until recently. Now doubt they willl develop though. Same as Aborigines in Australia and alcohol. I am sure in a few hundred years they will cope with bevvy almost as well as the white folk.

I'm not sure if you understand evolution.

Your body doesn't develop responses based on what your parents ate. More nutritional pseudo-science on HPC, I don't know why people bother with the exercise/nutrition threads on here as there's so much crap they are likely to end up worse off by listening to people here.

HOLA4423

I'm not sure if you understand evolution.

Your body doesn't develop responses based on what your parents ate. More nutritional pseudo-science on HPC, I don't know why people bother with the exercise/nutrition threads on here as there's so much crap they are likely to end up worse off by listening to people here.

Well I am no expert on the subject. However I would find it strange if we did not develop/evolve over the years.

So you honestly think that the Aboriginies of Australia will still, in 500 years, have the same issues with alcohol as they do today ? Why are people getting bigger ? Why are we getting taller ? You say we don't evolve from parent to child, so how exactly are people today on average probably a foot tallen than they were a thousand years ago ? Surely we should all be exactly the same size as we were back then ? I suppose nutrition and all could have some impact, but across the board ?

You do seem to know a lot about this subject, so I will be interested in your reply. However just because you know a lot about this does not mean you know it all and are perhaps wrong on certain counts. ;)

HOLA4424

"No added sugar" is a marketing phrase ans has no nutritional value.

I'm surprised the anti-sugar nazis haven't piled into this thread like they usually do with their pseudo-science.

If the OP is lean and exercises, he can forget about diabetes. Fast response sugars are probably what he needs to be having more of - a fast acting whey protein&glucose shake immediately after workout is the perfect food to spike insulin and ward off the deleterious effects of cortisol. Your muscles are crying out for energy like this if you've just worked out.

Perhaps the worst thing you can do. Abstain from carbs/sugar/fats 60-90 minutes prior to exercise (even protein can produce an insulin spike, fat to a lesser degree) and take protein immediately afterwards. Reason? To boost natural HGH (Human Growth Hormone) secretion. You will not get HGH ( which promotes lean tissue and muscle repair and fat burning) with your system swimming with insulin. Also high insulin will result in HGH blockers such as somostatin taking effect.

HOLA4425

Well I am no expert on the subject. However I would find it strange if we did not develop/evolve over the years.

So you honestly think that the Aboriginies of Australia will still, in 500 years, have the same issues with alcohol as they do today ? Why are people getting bigger ? Why are we getting taller ? You say we don't evolve from parent to child, so how exactly are people today on average probably a foot tallen than they were a thousand years ago ? Surely we should all be exactly the same size as we were back then ? I suppose nutrition and all could have some impact, but across the board ?

You do seem to know a lot about this subject, so I will be interested in your reply. However just because you know a lot about this does not mean you know it all and are perhaps wrong on certain counts. ;)

So how do characteristics get passed down if it isn't genetically?

Archived