House Price Crash Forum

Channel 4 Forum Angry Anecdote

pdg

HOLA441

from Decca on Ch4 forum

"So after a mare of a year- house being on the market, three sales falling through- I drop the price ( AS ALWAYS HARPED ON ABOUT ON THIS SITE) as well as calling in another estate agent. New EA says 'Going on price per square yard, and previous houses in the street, house is worth 205k'. He goes on to say that because of previous offers, it obviously isn't over-priced but he recommends putting it on at 199,500.

THEN the old EAs- where house is on sale for 195k- come up with young couple very keen to buy and proceedable. They love the house, very impressed by size of rooms, garden , general standard etc

EA has just rang up. They made an offer..........182k.

I lost it. Told EA they could get stuffed and I am taking house off market. This whole thing has just finished me off"

I think this attitude is where we are nationally at the moment :ph34r:

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Oh dear.

Has he called the new EA to congratulate him on his good judgement - looks like he set the asking price roughly correctly after just one go to allow for a 90% asking price offer.

"I think this attitude is where we are nationally at the moment"

Sure is. That's why he can't sell his house.

Of course, he could sell his house. He has what would appear to be a good proceedable offer in the current market, which is more than many vendors have.

But I'm sure if he shouts at the EA, they will magically produce a buyer from thin air.

Edited by DTMark

HOLA445
from Decca on Ch4 forum

"So after a mare of a year- house being on the market, three sales falling through- I drop the price ( AS ALWAYS HARPED ON ABOUT ON THIS SITE) as well as calling in another estate agent. New EA says 'Going on price per square yard, and previous houses in the street, house is worth 205k'. He goes on to say that because of previous offers, it obviously isn't over-priced but he recommends putting it on at 199,500.

THEN the old EAs- where house is on sale for 195k- come up with young couple very keen to buy and proceedable. They love the house, very impressed by size of rooms, garden , general standard etc

I lost it. Told EA they could get stuffed and I am taking house off market. This whole thing has just finished me off"

Beautiful. Anger has arrived. Taking their house off the market - that showed 'em!

HOLA446

Did you hear about the shopkeeper who bought in stock, marked it up and put it on display, and then stamped his feet because nobody would buy at those prices, partly because cheaper shops had opened just round the corner competing with him?

"I'm shutting the bloody shop, that'll teach those b***ard customers", he said.

HOLA447

That is nothing. Someone I know put in an offer recently (first property, mid 30s, lots of cash, canny but fed up waiting for own pad - told him not to but there we are) at around 15% off asking and made the offer subject to automatic reduction by £10k every two weeks his offer remained unaccepted. It was of course. Completes next week - focussed the seller's mind it would appear. Not sure how happy they were about it.

HOLA448

I would call this the ebay effect! Anyone who has ever sold items on ebay will know about this too well.

Either compete or get out. Emotional attachment will get you no where.

On another note, I'm really pleased the way the fuel price is increasing, I reckon the value of my car has gone up by about £5 becuase it has a full tank of fuel that I bought last month. Anyone else experienced this free wealth effect?

HOLA449
from Decca on Ch4 forum

You haven't got his number have you, I was going to offer £160,000 but only if he throws in a 4x4 and a holiday to the Seychelles.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Dicky

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
That is nothing. Someone I know put in an offer recently (first property, mid 30s, lots of cash, canny but fed up waiting for own pad - told him not to but there we are) at around 15% off asking and made the offer subject to automatic reduction by £10k every two weeks his offer remained unaccepted. It was of course. Completes next week - focussed the seller's mind it would appear. Not sure how happy they were about it.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how happy they were. I did a deal once that seemed to leave a bad taste in the seller's mouth. I hadn't bothered negotiating for the carpets as I was going to rip the place apart. He took up all the carpets, rolled them up and stuck them in his removal lorry. He also took all the light bulbs. It was a severe inconvenience having to nip down to the village store and buy some new ones.

As he was getting ready to go I took him to one side and said 'thanks for taking that carpet from the toilet with you, I really wasn't looking forward to ripping that one up myself'.

He thought he had been clever by leaving the loft and a coal bunker full of crap. I got a skip in (£40 in those days), cleared the lot out and got my solicitor to send him a bill for £500.00

After a couple of months of threatening letters he paid up. Good man.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Check this out....

It's actually my family house. I inherited it when my parents died (God, I sound like a Victorian novel ). TBH, I don't really want to sell as it's a beautiful house. And the reason we are talking about renting is because there is a lot of equity in the house and we could re-mortgage.

Incidentally, my parents paid something like 82,000 for it in 1985. And that is why, in the long run, property will always be worth buying.....

So, lets get this right, rent in a declining market and mortgage out what you dont own...

You couldnt make this stuff up.

And how the hell is 10% BMV a "Silly" offer?

HOLA4418
Why did he have to crap in the coal bunker, was a there a problem with the toilet too, didn't you get a plumber to check this out before buying.

No, but funnily enough I was a septic tank virgin at the time and this definitely needed emptying. Some bugger quoted me £75 on the phone, turned up, wife rang me at work - some problem, going to have to send for a jet engine or something .... next thing - bill for £350.

Told him to feck off and paid £150 - as a goodwill gesture - the bloke did have to whistle up another truck with a different bit of kit on it and he was there for 2 and a half hours.

So we went to court (small claims - what a laugh - two appearances - person in charge insisted everyone from his office that had talked to me or my wife attended - so at second hearing the two of us and half a dozen of them (must have cost him a small fortune by now)) and the magistrate gave them a good bollocking and told them to go off and learn how to run a business. Great crack!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
from Decca on Ch4 forum

Houses are going for the average of 93% of asking price, this equates to below £182k so she's got a good deal :P

HOLA4424
Odd, it doesn't appear to be there.

sine270

Posted 22-08-05 18:14

decca.

I dont want to wind you up further but I'd just like to point out that last month you stated that people should just make an offer and see how it goes. You also stated that you'd never be insulted by a low offer:

decca

Posted 12-07-05 09:40

quote:

"A house is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. You could argue that asking prices are equally cheeky.

But you can't have it both ways! Either houses are over-priced or they are worth what people pay for them.If I price my cottage at 3 million pounds and someone pays the asking price- it is no more 'worth' £ million than it was worth the £200 it originally cost to build in 1820.

Houses have NO intrinsic worth- so you might as well just make an offer and see how it goes. Personally, I am never insulted if someone is offering me cash."

So have you changed your mind about this then?

This is what I posted , but I'm suspicious that the whole site has me on ignore. Is that possible?

HOLA4425