House Price Crash Forum

Channel 4...enough Is Enough

HOLA441

I say this with a heavy heart, because Channel 4 used to punch BB2 on the chin. It was hard hitting, radical and daring.

Now what are we left with....a pale shadow of BBC1 twenty years ago. A channel with a scrotum full of Big Brother nausea and "How to Improve Your Home" tedium.

The channel which once brought you cutting edge documentaries is now a repository of greasy spivs encouraging you to cover up floorboards so your buyers don't see the flaws. A succession of velvetine Sloanes now festoon this channel, all with get rich quick nonsense, chavs ruining Spain, and incompetent "designers" shoving B&Q decking on inappropriate gardens.

I just visited the Channel 4 property pages. They read like the sort of magazine Attilla the Hun would have thought too right wing.

This disgrace of a formerly decent channel has disappeared up its corporate backside.

Discuss Please!

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

HOLA442
Guest Charlie The Tramp
This disgrace of a formerly decent channel has disappeared up its corporate backside.

I thought it was a joke from the time it went on air in 83 or 84.

Only about 5% of their programmes were worth watching IMO, and as for C5 a complete waste of terrestral space. :(

HOLA443
HOLA444

Luckily for me......not, 2 miles from the Wales border I get C4 as well as its mutant relation S4C, which is worse :angry:

I thought I heard C4 were in trouble financially. Any commercial

tv's severely depressing & lowest common denominator. C4 is still better than ITV & C5 IMO. has anyone noticed ad breaks getting longer?

Having seen Us tv for a couple of weeks, it can get worse, no breaks logo screens

between programs / ad breaks is a real mind bender.

An israeli scientist believed he'd proved a link between commercial breaks in US tv & dementia type brain diseases.

Apparently the brain is desperately trying to follow the plot etc of a program , then the ads come in & fry the brain cells in some

way a bit. Like when you nod off for a few seconds, open you eyes & someone has changed the channel. Your brain feels the strain of trying to weave together the threads of 2 different progs.

I find turning the volume down when the ads are on helps

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA445

Despite the other crap on C4 these days, I still think that the C4 news at 7pm is the best early evening news programme there is.

It's ironic that this programme is made by ITN, whose other output on ITV is very tabloid and inferior to, dare I say it, the BBC.

HOLA446
HOLA447

C4 has the occasional good prog on but most is bullsh1t.

I think the most valuable TV programs are the secret camera exposes of what actually goes on in our schools, hospitals and political world etc etc. Even when the authorities are given the secret filming they still try to spin their way out of it. These types of programs are thinly spread across all the channels. For example:

1/ What really goes on in our schools (teacher with hidden camera)

2/ Disgraceful way in which our old folk are treated in hospitals (hidden camera)

3/ Abuse of toddlers in nursery schools (hidden camera)

4/ Various con-artists at work (hidden camera)

5/ Appallingly low standard of cleaning in our hospitals. (hidden camera)

6/ Exposes of how the Labour party faked support and endorsements in the General election (hidden camera)

etc etc

These sort of programs do a great public service and show you what is really going on with all the spin stripped away. I wish there was a whole channel like that.

Incidentally, yes i do like Channel 4 news and also the News24 channel is good.

HOLA448
Yes

such a shame that the channel which brought us

Countdown

Brookside

Treasure Hunt

Max Headroom

Red triangle films

A Woman of Substance

Paula Yates

Jonathan Ross

in the 80s has sunk to such depths now  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I for one loved Max Headroom :lol:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest The dude

I have lost faith with ALL current affairs programmes - that goes through the whole gamut of TV stations...that's why I stopped watching TV.....it's all a load of brainwashing common denominator shite....my advice is: GIVE UP TV....stop being a news junkie....Read books instead....surf the net...

HOLA4411
Yes

such a shame that the channel which brought us

Countdown

Brookside

Treasure Hunt

Max Headroom

Red triangle films

A Woman of Substance

Paula Yates

Jonathan Ross

in the 80s has sunk to such depths now  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Point taken! But there were other more enlightened programmes which Channel 4 did, which were considered too risky by BBC2. I agree there was always a fair bit of rubbish on C4 but the best of it was better than anywhere else.

I agree with the poster abve that Channel 4 (ITN) news is a cut above the other terrestial channels but you can't hang your hat on one news programme. Jeremy Issacs might have been a heavyweight self regarding snob but he did keep tabs on gratuitous excesses.

Oh well....back to radio 4 again.

VP

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Oh yes that Jamie Oliver campaign for better school dinners was on C4 and was obviously a worthwhile program.

Are you sure? I don`t remember any commercial breaks, but there again sometimes I don`t know which day of the week it is. :D

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I have lost faith with ALL current affairs programmes - that goes through the whole gamut of TV stations...that's why I stopped watching TV.....it's all a load of brainwashing common denominator shite....my advice is: GIVE UP TV....stop being a news junkie....Read books instead....surf the net...

Now that IS a said state of affairs. The British used to have the best informed and most hard hitting current affairs programmes in the world. It all looks like American programming now.

HOLA4417
I say this with a heavy heart, because Channel 4 used to punch BB2 on the chin. It was hard hitting, radical and daring.

Now what are we left with....a pale shadow of BBC1 twenty years ago. A channel with a scrotum full of Big Brother nausea and "How to Improve Your Home" tedium.

The channel which once brought you cutting edge documentaries is now a repository of greasy spivs encouraging you to cover up floorboards so your buyers don't see the flaws. A succession of velvetine Sloanes now festoon this channel, all with get rich quick nonsense, chavs ruining Spain, and incompetent "designers" shoving B&Q decking on inappropriate gardens.

I just visited the Channel 4 property pages. They read like the sort of magazine Attilla the Hun would have thought too right wing.

Discuss Please!

VP

Like your style of writing! Unfortunately I gave up watching TV about 4 years ago, so I cannot evaluate C4's demise.

In the words of a TV show of my youth: Why don't you just switch off your television set and go out and do something less boring instead?

frugalista

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Like your style of writing! Unfortunately I gave up watching TV about 4 years ago, so I cannot evaluate C4's demise.

In the words of a TV show of my youth: Why don't you just switch off your television set and go out and do something less boring instead?

frugalista

Thanks!

I hardly ever watch nowadays. Better things to do. But the little I do see confirms the views hel here.

VP

HOLA4420