House Price Crash Forum

Bl@@dy Ryanair ---Again

jackpot06

HOLA441

they really aren't cheap either.

But they can be. If you play it right, pack lightly, book at the right time and go to the right places.

It is possible to get a flight to a 'proper' airport with Ryanair for literally £5 either way.

For a one off planned in advance flight I would happily go with them - and have before. However I do appreciate their lack of service in certain areas. I don't think anyone would argue that point !!

For most other flights I would go elsewhere - for the reasons you and others say.

I am far from a fan of Ryanair, however they are clearly not the devil airline that many seem to think. People have one bad experience and that is it. Whilst understandable not really logical IMO.

Each person should do their own cost/benefit analysis of who to fly with - and base their choice on that. Simple.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest absolutezero

Like a flight - that you paid for ? And followed all the rules for - but didn't get ?

You could just admit you got this one wrong - and the OP clearly was just done over, above and beyond the usual that is expected from cheap airlines...

They have been done over, but that's to be expected from that particular company.

All companies do you over. It's just a case of how far they take it.

RyanAir is ridiculous in that respect.

HOLA443

They have been done over, but that's to be expected from that particular company.

All companies do you over. It's just a case of how far they take it.

RyanAir is ridiculous in that respect.

Fair enough. I just don't think they ****** over people as often as these random stories would indicate. People who fly quite happily with Ryanair, and there are millions of them, are not quite so vocal about their vauge satisfaction with the service on offer.

I doubt their '******ing over' ratio in terms of passeneger numbers is hugely more than other airlines. Maybe it is. There must have been some sort of survey done on this ?

HOLA444
Guest theboltonfury

But they can be. If you play it right, pack lightly, book at the right time and go to the right places.

It is possible to get a flight to a 'proper' airport with Ryanair for literally £5 either way.

For a one off planned in advance flight I would happily go with them - and have before. However I do appreciate their lack of service in certain areas. I don't think anyone would argue that point !!

For most other flights I would go elsewhere - for the reasons you and others say.

I am far from a fan of Ryanair, however they are clearly not the devil airline that many seem to think. People have one bad experience and that is it. Whilst understandable not really logical IMO.

Each person should do their own cost/benefit analysis of who to fly with - and base their choice on that. Simple.

I have flown with them I think twice. Both times,the flight was relatively on time.

For me, I rarely get much notice when I need to go to Europe and all in they are more expensive than many others.

I also know that it's only a matter of time before they screw me over bigstyle and so will try to avoid taking that risk. It's almost in their mission statement that if you use us, and we let you down, then we don't care.

HOLA445
Guest X-QUORK

My father's a retired airline pilot and he refuses to fly with Ryanair becuase he has serious concerns about their safety. He thinks other budget airlines such as Easyjet are fine, but with Ryanair he's adamant that they're actually dangerous.

Edited to add: If my memory serves me well it had something to do with the rostering of crew hours.

HOLA446

I absolutely hate flying with Ryanair, unfortunatley sometimes they are the only airline flying to a particular destination :angry:

I'm off to Donegal in a few weeks, was going to fly direct to Derry with Ryanair (the only flight option) but the thought of it just ticked me off so much i'm driving over and using the ferry now.

HOLA447

My father's a retired airline pilot and he refuses to fly with Ryanair becuase he has serious concerns about their safety. He thinks other budget airlines such as Easyjet are fine, but with Ryanair he's adamant that they're actually dangerous.

Edited to add: If my memory serves me well it had something to do with the rostering of crew hours.

I have heard this as well. However for their size and number of flights their safety record is pretty impecible so far.

HOLA448

I fly to Europe a good amount and I get better prices with Lufthansa and KLM. Very reliable and no hidden costs.

I have also been FlyBe a couple of times, and although they have similart charges to Ryan Air, they weren't to the same extent and were ok.

Yes I've flown FlyBe too. They are ok. A RyanAir ticket is basically a lottery ticket, where you might have won a flight!

HOLA449

I have heard this as well. However for their size and number of flights their safety record is pretty impecible so far.

Not sure if Ryanair planes are in the air long enough to be dangerous as they are only short hop. Stanstead to Poitiers, they just about manage to get up to height before having to descend. Then again takeoffs and landings are the most dangerous stages.

Once flew Ryanair from Paris to Rome for a RIPE meeting. Well I say Paris, I don't where is was from. We were bused miles and miles by coach, which we caught near the Arc De Triumphe to a airfield somewhere in France. Coming into Rome we hit a lighting storm. Never been so glad for a plane to land. The passengers broke out in spontaneous applause when we did! :lol:

HOLA4410
Guest absolutezero

Not sure if Ryanair planes are in the air long enough to be dangerous as they are only short hop. Stanstead to Poitiers, they just about manage to get up to height before having to descend. Then again takeoffs and landings are the most dangerous stages.

Once flew Ryanair from Paris to Rome for a RIPE meeting. Well I say Paris, I don't where is was from. We were bused miles and miles by coach, which we caught near the Arc De Triumphe to a airfield somewhere in France. Coming into Rome we hit a lighting storm. Never been so glad for a plane to land. The passengers broke out in spontaneous applause when we did! :lol:

Was that before or after that Godawful fanfare and cheering they play when you land?

HOLA4411

Well they carried 65 million people last year alone - and I don't think there was even one injury never mind a death. That is pretty decent - then again I don't know about these stats.

Wiki

They also appear to have the youngest fleet of aircraft in Europe, with an average age of 3 years.

Appears in their entire history they have had a grand total of 10 injuries - this looks to have been from a total of about 280 million passengers.

10 injuries, no deaths - 280 million passengers = some people think they are dangerous and will therfore not fly with them. :lol:

I don't mean to be abusive but that is ******ing mentally retarded.

No offence.

And no - I don't like Ryanair but they are not that bad.

HOLA4412

I wouldn't fly with them, I have a list of people as long as my arm who I know that have had shocking experiences with them including one bloke who took his Mrs away for a romantic weekend in Italy and were then effectively abandoned by Ryanair when they cancelled the flight.

Nah, I'll spend a few more quid on a decent airline, one, for peace of mind and two, I would'nt give that scumbag O'Leary a penny of my hard earned. ****s like that shouldn't be encouraged.

HOLA4413

I wouldn't fly with them, I have a list of people as long as my arm who I know that have had shocking experiences with them including one bloke who took his Mrs away for a romantic weekend in Italy and were then effectively abandoned by Ryanair when they cancelled the flight.

Nah, I'll spend a few more quid on a decent airline, one, for peace of mind and two, I would'nt give that scumbag O'Leary a penny of my hard earned. ****s like that shouldn't be encouraged.

:lol:

****** sake taking your bird on a romantic weekend and going for Ryanair. Was he a Jock..

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

:lol:

****** sake taking your bird on a romantic weekend and going for Ryanair. Was he a Jock..

To be fair, I took the missus to Rome in January and the only direct flight option I could find in the North West for the period we wanted to go was Ryanair. Other one was flybe or one of the other budget affairs.

Turned out ok in the end but we were lucky as we flew back on the Wednesday but on the Tuesday most of the flights from the airport had been cancelled. Had it happened on the Wednesday we would have been stuck. No more ryanair flights till Friday or we would have had to pay a King's ransom to fly back possibly from another airport with someone else with a changeover or to the wrong place in the UK.

HOLA4416

I have flown with Ryanair on a number of occasions. I don't mind the no frills thing, what I object to is the stress of having to worry about where you might get stung for hefty extra charges, and the fact that the staff seem to want you to have an unpleasant experience. Whilst they haven't really properly done me over, there have been enough close calls and horror stories from people I know to put me off flying with them unless absolutely essential. EasyJet is like luxury in comparison, and dont get the feeling of dread when flying with them.

HOLA4417

They also appear to have the youngest fleet of aircraft in Europe, with an average age of 3 years.

Appears in their entire history they have had a grand total of 10 injuries - this looks to have been from a total of about 280 million passengers.

10 injuries, no deaths - 280 million passengers = some people think they are dangerous and will therfore not fly with them. :lol:

All very true but you missed a bit, thats the fact that your plane is being flown by the FO, who is on E28K per year, struggling to pay off the E40K the "self sponsored" training cost him/her, and has to pay for every expense going including uniform!

Now did he get a good rest the previous day, or was he labouring for a mate to earn some cash?

(Don't think for a second its any better at any of the other cheapo airlines though, why do you think they are cheap!)

HOLA4418
Guest theboltonfury

I have flown with Ryanair on a number of occasions. I don't mind the no frills thing, what I object to is the stress of having to worry about where you might get stung for hefty extra charges, and the fact that the staff seem to want you to have an unpleasant experience. Whilst they haven't really properly done me over, there have been enough close calls and horror stories from people I know to put me off flying with them unless absolutely essential. EasyJet is like luxury in comparison, and dont get the feeling of dread when flying with them.

Very true. Having flown with the other budgets, EJet, JET2, Flybe, BMI I can say that they are all miles better than Ryan Air in terms of your passenger treatment. If anyone has ever had the misfortune to have checked in at Liverpool for an early flight, then you will have been coldly welcomed by some of the sourest faced, hacked off looking, squeally scousers imagineable. (I have nothing against scousers by the way). They appear to all be in a competition with each other to see who can be rudest to a passenger and how many women they can make cry. The police at Liverpool airport are not to counter terrorism, they are to break up the attacks from irate males on the ryan air staff.

As I said, in the air, neither to I care nor have they let me down the two times I have had to fly with them, but I'd never fly with them again as they are simply a dispicable company in virtually all of their corporate behaviours. This starts with their cretin of a CEO and naturally has filtered down. If he doesn't give a shit, publically, then they are hardly likley to either.

HOLA4419

Many many thanks to you all for your helpful comments-the Deputy Manager of Bournemouth airport was very apologetic over our bad experience this morning; he said that we had been ' clocked ' arriving at 6.40 am and that this was indeed enough time, given we had checked in online and had our boarding passes printed.

He said we should have been fast tracked through the manual verification process and not made to wait in a long queue. The fault was with the bar code reader and there should have been more staff on the Servisair desk, as there were 3 flights departing within a short space of each other and many problems had arisen with : excess baggage etc etc ... all that we had been made to queue up for was a manual check against the aircraft passenger list and it took so long we missed the plane as a result .

The Servisair staff are a bunch of unhelpful Jobsworths ...... who seem to take a sadistic pleasure in thwarting any chances of a reasonable outcome!!

The Servisair staff are simply minimum wage monkeys with no training, no management, and no colleagues to help them. The problem is fundamentally with the idiotic British public who think that by handing over Mcdonald's money they should get a Fat Duck experience. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys, not too difficult to understand you would think. Have no sympathy whatsoever with people so gullible.

HOLA4420

Well they carried 65 million people last year alone - and I don't think there was even one injury never mind a death. That is pretty decent - then again I don't know about these stats.

Wiki

No offence.

And no - I don't like Ryanair but they are not that bad.

They do indeed have a young fleet of aircraft as "flipping" aircraft is their main business. Much like having a new car the advantage is that they do not need as much maintenance. Which is just as well as they don't exactly have the best crew in the world, they are cheap however and usually Eastern European.

They have had many "incidents" and have so far managed to avoid a complete catastrophe through luck more than judgement. It is simply a matter of time, and when it does happen I'm sure all the usual suspects will come out of the woodwork. Personally I wouldn't take the risk, but then I value my life.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest theboltonfury

The Servisair staff are simply minimum wage monkeys with no training, no management, and no colleagues to help them. The problem is fundamentally with the idiotic British public who think that by handing over Mcdonald's money they should get a Fat Duck experience. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys, not too difficult to understand you would think. Have no sympathy whatsoever with people so gullible.

And you pay Fat Duck money, you leave hungry and run the risk of food poisoning.

I have no sympathy with these gullible people whatsoever.

Who's the idiot, really?

HOLA4423
Guest absolutezero

Well for what its worth its made it to the front page of The Bournemouth Daily Echo !!!!!!!!!!!!

Is Bournemouth a bit like Belgium?

I.e. Nothing ever happens and "Cat Stuck Up Tree. Fire Brigade Called." gives the journalists something to get their teeth into?

HOLA4424
Guest X-QUORK

No offence.

I guess your opinion must be worth more than my father's and SMAC67's, one a retired airline pilot and one a current airline pilot.

A lot of people thought Lloyds TSB were a safe bank.

HOLA4425

I guess your opinion must be worth more than my father's and SMAC67's, one a retired airline pilot and one a current airline pilot.

A lot of people thought Lloyds TSB were a safe bank.

Aye but you can't compare a Bank to an Airline. There is only so much they can do to cover up any proper dangerous antics.

As SMAC67 and others say they may have just been lucky and are due a big disaster. None of us know for sure as nobody is psychic.

However the statistics speak for themselves. And when it comes to airline safety, statistics are pretty black and white.

Ryanair is an incredibly safe airline to fly on. There is no doubt about that. The figures speak for themselves.

Anyway I am sounding like I am an O'Leary/Ryanair apologist.

Archived