House Price Crash Forum

Heavyweights On Paxman Now

HOLA441

The UK is the european leader in semiconductor design. I think we do more than germany does.

So we are not a nation of media studies trained, face painting, nail varnishers and outreach diversity officers then? Good to here.

HOLA442

PM, UKinvest claims the southwest is the largest european semis hub, with 1/3 of all british designers.

I know my stuff here, because I am one of them.

Yes I was talking about inmos. Inmos led to many large names being in or around bristol, including infineon, broadcom, ST microelectronics and panasonic. There are somewhere in the range of 15 or so sizable starups plus ome other larger companies and associated test an packaging companies.

Its bigger than cambridge. The M4 corridoor hosts wolfson, intel, synopsys, mentor graphics and cadence (thelatter three are all chip design software cos), all international ones.

There are too many others dotted around to mention.

The UK is the european leader in semiconductor design. I think we do more than germany does.

Your logic is faulty - like saying whatever the sacked miners got up to after they got beaten out of their industry can be claimed by the tories as a victory. See Eddies ex miner tea Rooms? That's all down to thatcher, that is!

HOLA443
HOLA444

So we are not a nation of media studies trained, face painting, nail varnishers and outreach diversity officers then? Good to here.

we are, but we are also a nation of very innovative engineers and scientists. we always have been and still are.

sorry to say this but mandy is right when he says this has to be exploited and nurtured.

it's too important to be ignored because of ideological fixations.

likewise we may be in debt but we'll be in worse shape in the future if we don't make the best of our strengths now.

HOLA445

we are, but we are also a nation of very innovative engineers and scientists. we always have been and still are.

sorry to say this but mandy is right when he says this has to be exploited and nurtured.

it's too important to be ignored because of ideological fixations.

likewise we may be in debt but we'll be in worse shape in the future if we don't make the best of our strengths now.

There is no "we"!

Hows about I just reject "our" debts as being part of a mad fantasy and you pay them if you like?

HOLA446
Guest theboltonfury

There is no "we"!

Hows about I just reject "our" debts as being part of a mad fantasy and you pay them if you like?

Ok, you go right ahead and do that.

HOLA447

Ok, you go right ahead and do that.

Cheers. :)

If only sceppy and the other statists would stop demanding I pay up.

Ken versus Mandy doesn't matter because they both agree on the one thing that actually needs changing - that they should be deciding what everyone else does.

HOLA448
Guest theboltonfury

Cheers. :)

If only sceppy and the other statists would stop demanding I pay up.

Ken versus Mandy doesn't matter because they both agree on the one thing that actually needs changing - that they should be deciding what everyone else does.

I saw the 'debate' and one would get more insight from watching a Punch and Judy show.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

people just don't want to hear this - sounds too boring old tory, they are not ready for this

As far as I can make out, that's just not true. In fact 'DEBT' is a powerful word. If you say the government are getting us into too much debt, there is too much debt in the economy, debt is at dangerous levels, we're paying 40 billion pounds a year in interest .... people know how corrosive debt is from their own lives.

The Tories should major on this ... 'Labour have got us into enormous debt, we're going to get the country out of debt and back on its feet again.'

In Newsnight last night they had a piece where that irritating bloke who was 'eco-man' (or some such nonsense) tried to get people together in Livingstone to talk to them about trust in politicians.

They were a typical looking bunch of working class voters - i.e. ordinary people - and it was interesting to see a couple of them say things like 'we're not stupid, we know the country's in a mess and we want the politicians to be honest with us and tell us what we've got coming' and, as this sentiment was expressed, you could see most of the people nodding their heads in agreement.

The interviewer asked them incredulously; 'You're telling me you'd vote for a politician who told you that times were hard and cuts need to be made' ... and pretty much all of them said 'yes'.

We're in a mess and the most important thing you have to do to win a general election is keep the mssage simple.

"Labour's got us into a mountain of debt and we need to face up to it and start putting it right - so we can get the country on its feet again" (which is the exact expression used by one of the people in that interview last night)

That's it. Nothing else. No strategy. No policy. Just 'Labour's got us into huge debts and we're the ones to get the country sorted out again'.

Instead of this, Clarke argues with Mandelson and loses!

Edited by Let's get it right

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'd say Mandelson 'did' Clarke too.

I don't know what is wrong with the Tories. Where was the 'Look, growth under New Labour was funded by an explosion in consumer debt that was allowed to happen thanks to Gordon Brown's useless tri-partite system for regulating the banks. New Labour's answer to everything is debt and more debt. Your growth is based on borrowing and just like the 1970s the country has ended up in a financial crisis'.

And Clarke kept laughing as if he thought the whole crisis was a joke.

Funny thing is if New Labour had got rid of Brown, and stuck the postman in, I think they'd win this election easily. As it is, if Labour do lose, it will be because Brown is just a hard bloke to like - not because the Tories are any good.

....disagree...unless you are naive you could only laugh at everything Mandelson was saying ... no wonder Ken Clarke couldn't keep a straight face....he kept going on about investing in this and that and trying to get Ken Clarke to commit to retaining 'his' structure if elected....why would he make such a decision on Newsnight before the election is called and before seeing the books ... heaven knows what is hidden that we don't know about..... :)