House Price Crash Forum

Ftb Buying In Hull, North Yorkshire

Guest uberstuka

HOLA441
Guest uberstuka

Unbeknown to me - until now - a friend of mine has set about purchasing his first property in Hull, South Yorkshire. He's had his hands snapped off by a vendor selling a two bedroomed house for £100K; though it was for sale at £115K.

My friend was telling me he couldn't believe his luck that they got it so cheaply. Seriously, it looks like this place is actually worth £60K maximum.

They have a £10K deposit and have secured a mortgage around 5%.

They've yet to finalise anything, though the purchase is gaining pace as no chains are involved and the vendor is looking for quick closure.

I know these figures are pretty low and most of you will probably laugh at them, but he's like many FTBs; he's been duped into believing that this is his only option to get on the ladder and he's `breaking the bank' to make it happen.

Is he making a huge mistake? And if so how do I go about telling him so without messing with his head?

Edited by uberstuka

HOLA442

Sounds like a BTL landlord offloading one of his places.

Depends upon how good a friend he is. Could you break the news to him that his girl was cheating on him? If not, then you're not that good a friend, and I'd let him make his own mistakes. If you are that good a friend, have a quiet word, nothing heavy, just ask has he really thought of the downside, then point him toward FTB help website(Warks Lad) and here and let him make his own mind up.

HOLA443
Unbeknown to me - until now - a friend of mine has set about purchasing his first property in Hull, North Yorkshire. He's had his hands snapped off by a vendor selling a two bedroomed house for £100K; though it was for sale at £115K.

My friend was telling me he couldn't believe his luck that they got it so cheaply. Seriously, it looks like this place is actually worth £60K maximum.

They've yet to finalise anything, though the purchase is gaining pace as no chains are involved and the vendor is looking for quick closure.

I know these figures are pretty low and most of you will probably laugh at them, but he's like many FTBs; he's been duped into believing that this is his only option to get on the ladder and he's `breaking the bank' to make it happen.

Is he making a huge mistake? And if so how do I go about telling him so without messing with his head?

It all boils down to what a home is worth to you! At the end of a day if you believe its worth 60 and you pay 60 your happy. If he thinks 100 is good and he's happy even after your warnings its his call...

Personally i'm a FTB and have a large deposit and a good salary but i wont buy a terrace/crappy semi i'll wait around until I get the property i want for the price i am willing to pay.

Sometimes people just want to get on with their lives and worry about crashes as they happen as many people will be in the same boat.

Personally happy to rent until prices are more reasonable!

Ciao!

HOLA444

Since when is Hull in North Yorkshire? For what it's worth I think he's making a mistake. Borrowing 90% in a market that many think will fall by 10-30% over the next couple of years sounds daft. He could rent an identical house for less than he's spending on this house then buy this house in a few years for less.

HOLA445
Unbeknown to me - until now - a friend of mine has set about purchasing his first property in Hull, North Yorkshire. He's had his hands snapped off by a vendor selling a two bedroomed house for £100K; though it was for sale at £115K.

sounds like there's no hope for him......... for a start he thinks Hull is in North Yorkshire :blink:

HOLA446
Guest Riser

Looks like people in Hull still remember the last boom when local prices hit 50% above the long term regional average then at the peak of the crash they fell almost 40% year on year.

This time round the boom in Hull has been more subdued altough prices are still around 35% above the long term average. When they do crash they could still go with a bang

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest uberstuka

You ask for advice and what you get is a geography lesson.

Adopts farty voice: "Hull is not in North Yorkshire, it's in South Yorkshire. So, there!"

Tedious.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'm here in North Yorkshire only 40 mins from Hull. The prices up here have just stagnated over the last couple of months and nothing seems to be moving now. There are many "For Sale " and "Sale Agreed" signs every so often then they go back to "For Sale" presumably due to the chain collapsing.

If I was your friend , I would tell them that they are making a mistake. I feel in two or 6 months you will start seeing falls in prices or at least be able to offer a lot less than the asking prices without being laughed at which is currently what is happening.

Don't forget the salaries up here are not as much as those in the South East but in areas here even the FTB homes are well over 8 times some peoples wage.

HOLA4414

The common perception is that the boom starts

in London and the bust starts in London.

Not true.

As the waters from a spring "withdraw" as the

pressure from the spring reduces, so a bust

actually starts in the outlying parts first and the bust

is far worse in areas where the unsustainable prices

simply cannot withstand consumer pressure.

London has artificial money, foreign money, oil

money, to keep it going.

Hull, Yorkshire doesn't.

The bust will be deeply tragic in such areas.

No, they should not buy.

It is a truly awful time to buy a house.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416