House Price Crash Forum

Inflation Deflation Depression Crack-Up Boom. I'm Totally Confused Now

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

the dilemma for those that can just about "afford" a home now (by afford i dont necessarily mean comfortably) is

1. buy soon because of the fears of hyperinflation

2. buy soon because of the fears of economic collapse which would probably come only after (1) anyway

3. buy soon because inflation may reignite hpi or some miracle may mean the economy recovers in 2010 fuelling genuine hpi (no, dont ask me how, makes no sense to me)

4.. buy soon in case the banks collapse + the govt's printed money under the deposit scheme means big delays in getting reimbursed and because of bank collapse people panic + chuck their savings at any property so as to avoid being caught deposited in a bank that goes down with all the delays of reimbursement

5. wait as it looks like this is another bubble being created by false hope

6 go abroad where there might be fairer value

7 just continue renting + not worry about property maintenance or getting stuck with a property if the market goes into proper crash mode

additionally, stories in the press of 'supporting house prices' being govt priority etc may be deliberately put there by VIs to encourage people to buy now. or it could be true because herr braun wants prices up so people can feel rich in time for the election (of course, its all highly illusory but it worked for some years on a dumbed down public)

then you have other stories of hyperinflation (even sensible economists like ros altman think there could be inflation, not hyper, next year) and still other stories about prices stagnating etc.http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2009/feb/05/ros-altmann-interest-rate-cuts-are-wrong

all this against a backdrop of rising unemployment BUT reckless, rampant money printing to take the place of money from thin air which is usually done by banks lending under the fictional sorry i mean fractional reserve system.

apparently america has added 120% to the money supply. in the 1970s they added 13%, interest rates then had to go to 21% to claw it back under carter. some of the children who post here think anything above 4% is a high interest rate, they are clearly just boys. people like me can remember what a high interest rate really is - 21% aint peanuts. these boys + their businesses which they seek to protect will fold if rates go higher than 5%, they are clearly lobbying here to save their over-leveraged necks. http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/jimmycarter http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090123190316AAM6jPp

we also have people on the forum & elsewhere who might just be trying to shift their gold, which is near all time highs. or they might be right.

if serious (or even hyper) inflation is to hit us as a result of the QE + foolish BoE support for Labour re-election, the wall could hit us anytime between Q2 2010 and 2015 or thereabouts, depending on how it works into the system, velocity + other factors well beyond my knowledge.

yes i just dont know what will happen, but i do know that we have the same people who caused the trouble now telling us they are able to sort it out. that to me sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Edited by loginandtonic

HOLA447