House Price Crash Forum

Ni's Average Salary From Thursday Night's On The Brink

sdoey

HOLA441
No no, you get me wrong! I just think it would be nice if a few more of them appreciated the difference between having a doctorate and being a 'doctor'! Silly I know, but little things worry me if I'm letting someone cut me open ;)

So you would rather have someone who had spent 3 years in a lab studying the genetic basis of a disease and persuading an academic journal to publish their results cut you open than someone who had spent 3 years working on a surgical ward and being taught the craft of surgery by an experienced practitioner? Each to their own....

And as for SHO pay - it's about £27-30k generally for a 40 hour week although this is boosted up to about £40-45k for working additional hours and unsocial hours (nights, weekends etc). And most work about 10 hours for free each week.

HOLA442
So you would rather have someone who had spent 3 years in a lab studying the genetic basis of a disease and persuading an academic journal to publish their results cut you open than someone who had spent 3 years working on a surgical ward and being taught the craft of surgery by an experienced practitioner? Each to their own....

And as for SHO pay - it's about £27-30k generally for a 40 hour week although this is boosted up to about £40-45k for working additional hours and unsocial hours (nights, weekends etc). And most work about 10 hours for free each week.

You have a nasty tendency to take a few simple words, process them in your own head, and assume that the much altered reality is exactly what others would end up with. My problem with medics is nothing to do with pay, nothing to do with title.... it has everything to do with the fact that a great many are totally lost when faced with a scenario not precisely described in the text books.

As for SHO pay.... I know SHOs earning large salaries and I know a great many JHOs who are earning well in excess of what you are quoting for SHOs! So either there are extreme local fluctuations or... you are wrong. :lol:

As you say though, the detail of all of this is somewhat irrelevant so not worthy of further debate.

HOLA443
Well you know what they say - Those who can, do. Those who can't teach.

......... those who teach have a reasonable salary, long holidays, a great pension, and are unlikely to be made redundant even in the mother of all recessions!

I know it doesn't rhyme very well but still it's quite funny. :lol:

Seriously though, the individual I'm referring to earns substantially more than the £28K figure you're quoting there - actually around the 12 year figure you've given :blink:

Yes - not common but far from unusual. Previous experience may have bumped up the starting salary and/or they may have been promoted in post.

HOLA444
Talkie has a long track record of medic-bashing. He feels they shouldn't be allowed to use the title "doctor" because they (for the most part) do not have a phd (which he has).

It's just that I don't like the idea of having my income level probed. And as for having anyone probe my outgoings.... shudder.

HOLA445
You have a nasty tendency to take a few simple words, process them in your own head, and assume that the much altered reality is exactly what others would end up with. My problem with medics is nothing to do with pay, nothing to do with title.... it has everything to do with the fact that a great many are totally lost when faced with a scenario not precisely described in the text books.

As for SHO pay.... I know SHOs earning large salaries and I know a great many JHOs who are earning well in excess of what you are quoting for SHOs! So either there are extreme local fluctuations or... you are wrong. :lol:

As you say though, the detail of all of this is somewhat irrelevant so not worthy of further debate.

This is nonsense and you're just wrong about pay etc but whatever you've been told but don't want to listen.

HOLA446

I think I've figured this out.

The median salary is the point at which 50% of the population earn above this figure and 50% below it. The mean is the average salary i.e. if you take all the workers and shared out the wages they earn between them, they'd all get 27k. Both figures only include full time workers.

Average house prices are also a median value as far as I can gather. The different indices use different ways of deciding how to mix adjust the data to derive a median, hence the variation in the average house prices we see.

Medians are preferred as there is much more clustering at the lower end of distribution curves so a straightforward average is rendered unrepresentative by the few high earners and the few high end houses. So, in my opinion, the person on the programme was giving an incorrect figure for the average salary in the context of a discussion about house prices.

Anyone else got any information? I had a look on ONS and the Nationwide to see how they calculate their average wage and house price but I may have misinterpreted what I read.

HOLA447

I would wager a large sum of money that no F1 (JHO) in the whole of N.Ireland is on more than 40K. Infact very few would be on 36K max, and to earn that is literally slave driving, often illegal (but voluntary). Who are these F1s you know of that are earning well in excess of 45k?

HOLA448

There are plenty of GPs and senior consultants on over £100k. Know of someone just been made a partner in a practice in Craigavon - £120k for 4 days a week, no on-call.

GPs negotiated well with the DoH, who obviously believed they were all lazy, golf-playing slackers.

Anyway, salary envy is like pen*s envy, just be happy with what you have and make the most of it.

(no offence, ladies ;) )

Edited by Vespasian

HOLA449
There are plenty of GPs and senior consultants on over £100k. Know of someone just been made a partner in a practice in Craigavon - £120k for 4 days a week, no on-call.

GPs negotiated well with the DoH, who obviously believed they were all lazy, golf-playing slackers.

Anyway, salary envy is like pen*s envy, just be happy with what you have and make the most of it.

(no offence, ladies ;) )

Sorry to hear about your trouble.