House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sdoey

Ni's Average Salary From Thursday Night's On The Brink

On the programme last night when Declan Curry stated that the average salary in Northern Ireland was 27, 000 odd (Can’t remember the exact figure). I have been looking now for a number years (Just out of interest hoping that i will land that 100k job some day) on many job sites like NIJobs, NIJobFinder etc and the local newspapers in the area where I live in. The question I have is that after looking on these various job advertising places and looking at many of the salaries for these jobs I just don't see how the average salary in NI can be 27,000+!

What are your opinions regarding NI's average salary? I just don't believe that the average salary would be as high as that!!

Edited by sdoey

What are your opinions regarding NI's average salary? I just don't believe that the average salary would be as high as that!!

I thought it sounded a little high too but maybe it's all the huge salaries being earned by public sector workers :rolleyes:

Just found out recently that a teacher I know with 5 years of experience is getting paid nearly as much as I am with 15 years of experience in the industry I'm in - it may not be the norm but it's still disheartening :(

Where'd he get the figure from?

The office of notional statistics.

Edited by headmelter

I guess it's like any 'average', it gets skewed by the higher end.

I doubt that the majority earn anywhere near that, but there are some on really high salarys that will pull the figure upwards.

I would reckon the 'true average' in NI to be more like £20K......

This is a great question. On another post here we agreed the figure was 21k, i think the figure came from the UU housing report?

Personally I think the realistic average salary is 21k with a hell of a lot of people earning less.

This is a great question. On another post here we agreed the figure was 21k, i think the figure came from the UU housing report?

Personally I think the realistic average salary is 21k with a hell of a lot of people earning less.

Totally agree- the MEDIAN figure will be much less imho ie big earners at top end are skewing these figures.Reckon £20-£21k is average.

Remember these figs are not taking into a/c people who are unemployed.Even disregarding that i acknowledge public sector top end is skewing this esp in NI where there are disproportionately more people employed in public sector.

Shows once again the need to be able to assimilate the info thrown at you by the "media".

On the programme last night when Declan Curry stated that the average salary in Northern Ireland was 27, 000 odd (Can’t remember the exact figure). I have been looking now for a number years (Just out of interest hoping that i will land that 100k job some day) on many job sites like NIJobs, NIJobFinder etc and the local newspapers in the area where I live in. The question I have is that after looking on these various job advertising places and looking at many of the salaries for these jobs I just don't see how the average salary in NI can be 27,000+!

To be realistic it's probably worth remembering that the advertised salaries are usually for more entry level positions and are often negotiated higher either at application or after a while on the job. It's definitely the case in a lot of jobs that your salary will increase after you've worked in the same business for a while even if your job doesn't change because you have learned specific and valuable skills and proved your worth. It makes sense to pay more for a known performer with specific knowledge than it does for a highly qualified but unproved candidate.

That and the public sector workers are all on 200k + porsche.

*edited to add extra public sector vitriol*

Edited by Kinky John

I'd be surprised if the 27k figure wasn't the mean. The median must be a lot lower than this. What should be used to compare with house prices? Mean or median?

To be realistic it's probably worth remembering that the advertised salaries are usually for more entry level positions and are often negotiated higher either at application or after a while on the job. It's definitely the case in a lot of jobs that your salary will increase after you've worked in the same business for a while even if your job doesn't change because you have learned specific and valuable skills and proved your worth. It makes sense to pay more for a known performer with specific knowledge than it does for a highly qualified but unproved candidate.

That and the public sector workers are all on 250k, Ferrari, six months annual leave and six months full paid sick leave per annum and a gold plated humungus final salary pension.

*edited to add extra smugness from the public sector *

fixed. ;)

Edited by headmelter

When this appeared on screen last night I noticed that it said "source: Halifax plc".

It is the oft-discussed salary of the average first time buyer in the current housing market - it is not the average salary.

Only those on well above average salaries can afford to buy at current prices (despite 40% drops) hence the average FTB salary is so high - this is also the reason why average house prices still have a further 30% to drop.

That and the public sector workers are all on 200k + porsche.

*edited to add extra public sector vitriol*

Feel free to apply! That's if you think you are up to it!

I thought it sounded a little high too but maybe it's all the huge salaries being earned by public sector workers :rolleyes:

Just found out recently that a teacher I know with 5 years of experience is getting paid nearly as much as I am with 15 years of experience in the industry I'm in - it may not be the norm but it's still disheartening :(

The minimum salary a teacher would be on after 5 years is £28582. Usually after 12 years most earn at least £35929 - not including additional pensionable promotional payments that teachers often hold. Some teachers, depending on seniority, earn well over £40000 in middle management posts.

Of course there isn't any reason to be disheartened - after all it isn't a closed profession. Why don't you get qualified and join it?

You are pouring alot of abuse the Public Sector way which is unjustified for the most part

Admin Assistants are on about 12k pa

Admin Officers around 14.5k

EO2 - 17.5k

EO1 - 20k

SO - 25k

DP - 35k?

Grade 6 - 44k?

Grade 7 - 55k?

Heads of councils I imagine would be 100k+ Even their heads of department look to be starting on 30k+

Doctors / Teachers / Police all on 25k+

A magistrate and or CC judge get at least £500 a day.

Civil service lower ranks do not get what you claim. The higher and highest ranks do which would skew the average. The median would be a better measurement if you ask me.

And I believe the median would be closer to 16/17k

Think of the number of AA/AOs in the civil service, the number of general operatives in factories or those in shops on minimum wage. The vast majority of workers in Northern Ireland are well below this "average" if you ask me

When this appeared on screen last night I noticed that it said "source: Halifax plc".

It is the oft-discussed salary of the average first time buyer in the current housing market - it is not the average salary.

Only those on well above average salaries can afford to buy at current prices (despite 40% drops) hence the average FTB salary is so high - this is also the reason why average house prices still have a further 30% to drop.

This is the correct answer.

The minimum salary a teacher would be on after 5 years is £28582. Usually after 12 years most earn at least £35929 - not including additional pensionable promotional payments that teachers often hold. Some teachers, depending on seniority, earn well over £40000 in middle management posts.

Of course there isn't any reason to be disheartened - after all it isn't a closed profession. Why don't you get qualified and join it?

Well you know what they say - Those who can, do. Those who can't teach.

Seriously though, the individual I'm referring to earns substantially more than the £28K figure you're quoting there - actually around the 12 year figure you've given :blink:

I would have through that the skew is much more likely to be down to the likes of solicitors and medics. There are large numbers of both and the latter I know for sure can be probing £100k within a relatively few years of qualifying. I suspect that there is probably a population of very high earners and then very little before you again find a significant population at lower salaries.

I would have through that the skew is much more likely to be down to the likes of solicitors and medics. There are large numbers of both and the latter I know for sure can be probing £100k within a relatively few years of qualifying. I suspect that there is probably a population of very high earners and then very little before you again find a significant population at lower salaries.

lol. Don't believe everything you read.

No SHO earns 100K, few GPs in NI earn 100K and most NHS consultants earn less than 100K.

I said 'probing' :-P

We are talking ball park figures here.... it is silly to try to be more precise than that.

Depends on your definition of "relatively few years". Twelve? Are the "large numbers" any larger than anywhere else. Solicitors' incomes have declined with the housing market.

Depends on your definition of "relatively few years". Twelve? Are the "large numbers" any larger than anywhere else? Solicitors' incomes have declined with the housing market. I'm not sure what you mean by "probing" but in the context of medics it seems mildly disgusting.

Talkie has a long track record of medic-bashing. He feels they shouldn't be allowed to use the title "doctor" because they (for the most part) do not have a phd (which he has).

Anyway, I'm not really sure why this discussion is continuing - I explained earlier in the thread that the figure quoted on the show was the halifax figure for average first time buyer salary - this is very different from average salary of the working population as only a small proportion of the population earn enough to buy at current prices (hence the small number of transactions).

The average salary in NI (for a full time employee) is much lower, something like £21-£22k, not the £27k for average FTB getting a mortgage from Halifax plc.

Depends on your definition of "relatively few years". Twelve? Are the "large numbers" any larger than anywhere else. Solicitors' incomes have declined with the housing market.

Well I used SHOs as an example. As for the numbers... well no, there are not more than elsewhere. However, they tend to be paid (ballpark) the same in NI as elsewhere whereas most others in NI get paid less than they would do elsewhere. Hence their tendency to skew the data is increased.

Talkie has a long track record of medic-bashing. He feels they shouldn't be allowed to use the title "doctor" because they (for the most part) do not have a phd (which he has).

No no, you get me wrong! I just think it would be nice if a few more of them appreciated the difference between having a doctorate and being a 'doctor'! Silly I know, but little things worry me if I'm letting someone cut me open ;)

As reraise said, in NI only consultants would be earning near that. Despite all the anti-public sector propaganda there is about these days, the idea that doctors are the highest paid in society is a bit out of date. The reality is that high level management in most large companies in NI would earn significantly more than your average doctor.