"

Breaking News

Lockerbie Release Papers To Be Published

Megrahi: PM urged to break silence

44 mins ago

Press Assoc.

Buzz Up!

* Print Story

Further pressure is mounting on the Prime Minister to break his silence on the decision to free the Lockerbie bomber. Skip related content

Gordon Brown has so far not expressed a view on the decision by Scotland's Justice Secretary to free the Libyan, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, convicted of Britain's worst terrorist atrocity.

Mr Brown broke off from his holiday for talks in Downing Street with the prime minister of Israel, Binyamin Netanyahu, and is expected to face media questions on Lockerbie afterwards.

Tories have said his silence on the issue is "cowardly", pointing out that he has commented on other matters ranging from cricket to the death of Michael Jackson.

The Liberal Democrats have called Mr Brown's silence "absurd and damaging".

The attack was taken up by shadow Scottish secretary David Mundell, who said Mr Brown's silence was "staggering".

Mr Mundell told BBC Radio Scotland: "He has been very profuse in his comments in the last few days about the English cricket team, about the courage they have shown on the pitch.

"It's about time he showed some courage and said what he thought, what he's going to do about our relationships with the United States, what he's going to do about our relationships with Libya. As Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, that's what he should be commenting on and his silence is staggering."

Meanwhile, the Scottish Government has said further documents relating to the applications to return the Lockerbie bomber to Libya will be published within days.

It said "all relevant information" on the two applications - one to transfer Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi to a Libyan jail and the other to grant him compassionate early release - will be published before a Scottish Parliament debate next Wednesday."

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
I could write the speech he'll eventually be forced to splutter out if I could be bothered.

Do you think it would involve something about 'getting on with the job' to 'help those hard working British families' and getting into needless debates about this issue would simply be a 'diversion from the task in hand'?

After all, everything is the fault of the Americans

HOLA446

Unelected Prime Minister Mandelslime categorically did NOT discuss changing the Digital Britain policy on downloading following his meeting with music producer David Geffen whilst they were both enjoying a meal at Chez Rothchild in Corfu 2 weeks ago.

What an outrageous suggestion........

Oh sorry, wrong corruption thread........

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I have taken the liberty of writing Mr Browns speech for him. Please credit my NI account with extra contributions so I can retire earlier, Prime Minister.

"Members of the Press, I am not going to drawn into a debate regarding the release of Mr Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi. The decison to release Mr. Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi was rightly taken by Scotland's Justice Secretary. I fully support the decision made by Mr Kenny MacAskill, to release Mr. Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi on compassionate grounds.

This was a decision for Scotland to make and they have made it. It was the right thing to do.

I am dissapointed with the celebrations that took place in Tripoli on Mr. Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi return, I feel this lacked a sense of compassion shown the victims families. However, I have spoken to Colonel Gadaffi and he has assured me that all of the trade deals that were on hold, will now start to resume immediately.

Libya, sits on one of the worlds largest oil reserves and we have shown that Britain is a friend to Libya and in a time of recession, the freedom of trade and cheaper oil and gas will mean that in the end, hard working British Families will benefit as well as helping to bring Libya out from the cold.

I have also spoken to President Obama and we stand shoulder to shoulder in ensuring that the fight against terror is won, we are pleased we have gained a friend in Colonel Gadaffi and lost an enemy.

We are hoping a similar arrangement can be met regarding Iran & Syria not to mention North Korea. We are all working hard together to achieve world peace and stability.

I have met with the Israeli Prime Minister Mr Netinyahoo regarding the roadmap in the middle east. He has said, he doesnt know what I'm talking about, but would like to buy some Typhoon Airplanes via BAE.

At this rate Britians ecomomic recovery is off to a great start helping the feckless poor find gainful employment instead of joining university this year, they can be ready to start work, possibly even in Tripoli.

Thank you members of the press."

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Archived