House Price Crash Forum

Rebate If You Take Your Old Tv In

HOLA441
HOLA442
Sony doing a rebate albeit a tiny one if you take in an old telly and buy a hugely expensive one.

I bet they use the parts in your old telly to make their new ones !

Cue abuse from the Sony fanboys.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Todays flatscreens suck anyway. Isnt some sort of thin CRT coming out sometime. Im probably off the ball here. Dont have a telly, dont want one. Not until they get rid of BBCs little ransom.

No thin CRT. They've made them thinner but they are still heavy and suck up the juice. Large CRT tubes are also very expensive to make as they are glass and large pieces of glass are fragile. TFT/OLED screens are made in large sheets and cut to size, so you pay (effectively) per square centimetre. CRT will eventually be banned anyway, as the are not energy efficient.

The next video technologies are OLED (Organic LED) which would give you something that looks like current LCD TVs but with much more vibrant colours and much lower power consumption due to no backlight needed, and the new generation of LED Laser based projectors.

Next year your new digital camera and mobile phone will have standard TFT screen on one side and a LED Laser based projector on the other side able to project an image upto 40 inches wide on any flat surface. Nikon have just launched a camera in the UK that does it, and IIRC, top-end mobile phones in South Korea already have it.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08/04/nikon_s1000pj/

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest sillybear2

Just dump the f***g thing in the bin and you get an annual rebate of £142.50, rising well in excess of inflation each year.

HOLA447

The banning of (superior) CRTs has nothing to do with energy efficiency and everything to do with propping up the electronics industry. The nonsense of having electronic products that are practically obsolete after 6 months and the "need" to replace it every year is far worse for the environment than keeping a good quality CRT in service for a reasonable amount of time. The energy used in producing these new technologies, including the silicon, plastic, metals etc. far outweighs the supposed advantages of flat screens being more efficient.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I'm trying to get rid of a CRT on Freecycle but nobody wants it.

My OH works at the tip and the bins are full of CRTs everyday. A few weeks back the boys wanted to watch some Saturday sport in the rest room. They went down and picked one out of the bins - worked a treat.

Goes to show they aren't getting binned because they don't work, it's because they aren't asthetically pleasing.

HOLA4411
Todays flatscreens suck anyway. Isnt some sort of thin CRT coming out sometime. Im probably off the ball here. Dont have a telly, dont want one. Not until they get rid of BBCs little ransom.

Visual quality depends to a large extent on the technology employed. High-end panels that use Inline Planar Switching typically offer wider viewing angles, faster response times and less ghosting than cheap Twisted Nematic displays. The next wave of innovation to be applied to flat screens is Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) technology which requires no backlighting. Small OLED displays are now widely used in mobile phones, camera viewfinders and similar applications. Expect to see larger OLED displays being used for computers and TVs as the technology becomes progressively more affordable. Sony have already launched the World's first OLED TV:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921644539854

Edit: Spelling

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest sillybear2
It's a £200 discount and a free disposal of your old "can't give 'em away" TV, that all.

Isn't that the law anyway under the WEE directive? Retailers are obliged to accept your old eletronics crap when you purchase a shiny new piece of crap.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

And if I understand the scheme correctly, you only get the full £200 if you're buying a sodding great cinema-sized TV. For an average sized screen the discount is only £50 or £100.

And the myth that CRTs use more power is just that: at least in the case of Mother's old 28" Sony, which died about a year ago. On the back panel the sticky label gave the rated power consumption as 150 watts. The flat screen that replaced it is rated at 170.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Visual quality depends to a large extent on the technology employed. High-end panels that use Inline Planar Switching typically offer wider viewing angles, faster response times and less ghosting than cheap Twisted Nematic displays. The next wave of innovation to be applied to flat screens is Oganic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) technology which requires no backlighting. Small OLED displays are now widely used in mobile phones, camera viewfinders and similar applications. Expect to see larger OLED displays being used for computers and TVs as the technology becomes progressively more affordable. Sony have already launched the World's first OLED TV:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921644539854

So when's all this going to happen? I have an old CRT tv but need to change when we have to go digital in 2011; am I better changing now (I was thinking of a Sony LCD) or waiting until next year?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Not being a techy myself, what's the difference between this and the new Samsung LEDs?

As far as I'm aware that Sony XEL-1 is the only OLED TV currently on the market (at a price). Several companies, most notably Sony and Samsung, have exhibited models with larger screen sizes but these are not yet on sale. Large screen OLEDs are currently very expensive so their market is likely to be limited. Samsung produces around half of all OLED displays and were the first to put one in a mobile phone.

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
So when's all this going to happen? I have an old CRT tv but need to change when we have to go digital in 2011; am I better changing now (I was thinking of a Sony LCD) or waiting until next year?

No. just get digi box that fits to your existing tv.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Did I hear right that some digi-boxes that were bought at the beginning of the implementation won't actaully work when we go fully digital?

I seem to remember something about a few very early models needing firmware upgrades to cope with a slight change that was made to the broadcast standard a couple of years ago.