MOP

HOLA441
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The title of this video is "Greatest Guitar Solo Ever" so I suppose it must be. Not sure it qualifies as a solo TBH but considering he's complementing the other musicians it's even more impressive. Quite showy but not quite stealing the show.

Prince. The goodies are at 3.30

HOLA445
HOLA446
doors , metallica , Tony Iommi .... god ...feel an urge to dig my old vinyl out ...good thread

somebody mentioned scorpions they are ace live ...3 lead guitars

should have a best drummer thread too ....

I'm struggling to think of a good Metallica solo. Maybe the intro and outro of "Fade To Black".

Metallica - Fade to Black - solos @ 0.14 and 5.19

Megadeth are better than Metallica in terms of lead guitar IMO.

Megadeth-Symphony of Destruction - solo @ 2.17

HOLA447
HOLA448
I'm struggling to think of a good Metallica solo. Maybe the intro and outro of "Fade To Black".

Metallica - Fade to Black - solos @ 0.14 and 5.19

Megadeth are better than Metallica in terms of lead guitar IMO.

Megadeth-Symphony of Destruction - solo @ 2.17

Yup, Mustaine & Friedman f-ing rocked on the only two LPs that counted; stuff like Hangar 18, Holy Wars, High Speed Dirt & the multi-part Ashes in your Mouth. Well, words don't do justice.

HOLA449

Got to agree with a couple of earlier posters that you can have all the speedy twiddliness in the world but if it dont mean nothing it dont mean nothing (sorry fans of current heavy metal).

So, how about some Heart from before the poodle-rock set in (from about a minute in):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14sd6_cr...eart-live_music

Or some obscure Scottish prog from the 80s:

The outro from Rise and Fall by Pallas (or the solo from Sanctuary or.....)

Go look them up both some 80's Pallas and Heart's Dreamboat Annie album on Spotify.

HOLA4410
Guest theboltonfury
Got to agree with a couple of earlier posters that you can have all the speedy twiddliness in the world but if it dont mean nothing it dont mean nothing (sorry fans of current heavy metal).

So, how about some Heart from before the poodle-rock set in (from about a minute in):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14sd6_cr...eart-live_music

Or some obscure Scottish prog from the 80s:

The outro from Rise and Fall by Pallas (or the solo from Sanctuary or.....)

Go look them up both some 80's Pallas and Heart's Dreamboat Annie album on Spotify.

Bands like Trivium and Dragonforce are just a platform for showing off their sweep-picked arpeggios and other such 'showboat' stuff, I imagine purely for their own pleasure. Whilst I admire the technique, it sounds rubbish when played in that way.

I'd really much rather listen to Boom Boom or some T-Bone Walker, where each notes counts and has some feeling.

HOLA4411
Guest X-QUORK

If we're allowed to include general guitar excellence in this thread, I'd like to throw Kelly Joe Phelps' name into the ring, blues pickers don't come much better.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Great thread. When I first saw the title I thought "bah, guitar solos. What a pointless ego trip." But then I remembered Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robbie Krieger's 5 minute long Light My Fire noodle-fest, Jimi's beautiful, soul packed solo in the Wind Cries Mary, Jimi's intro to Little Wing, Tony Iommi, Peter Green.

That said, I think guitar solos are generally an indulgence. The players I've always revered - Bert Jansch, Mississippi John Hurt, Robert Johnson, John Martyn, Andy Summers, Johnny Marr (to name just a few) - don't solo really, they're more complementary to the rest of the song.

And just to contradict that view again, here's Lindsey Buckingham in stadium rock heaven. But seriously, how the f*ck does someone play like this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzz66Vu5_8g...feature=related

HOLA4414
Guest X-QUORK
That said, I think guitar solos are generally an indulgence. The players I've always revered - Bert Jansch, Mississippi John Hurt, Robert Johnson, John Martyn, Andy Summers, Johnny Marr (to name just a few) - don't solo really, they're more complementary to the rest of the song.

I disagree that they're indulgences. If I'm in the right frame of mind, alright...a bit pissed, a decent guitar solo sends my endorphin levels through the roof, real hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I disagree that they're indulgences. If I'm in the right frame of mind, alright...a bit pissed, a decent guitar solo sends my endorphin levels through the roof, real hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

I agree.

It always makes me laugh this line of thinking. A pianist or violinist who pushes the instrument to the absolute limits of human ability is praised to the heavens as a virtuoso but GOD FORBID if a guitar player should attempt to do such a thing!

:lol:

HOLA4417
Guest theboltonfury
I agree.

It always makes me laugh this line of thinking. A pianist or violinist who pushes the instrument to the absolute limits of human ability is praised to the heavens as a virtuoso but GOD FORBID if a guitar player should attempt to do such a thing!

But does a violinist try to play with a drill??? :lol:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest theboltonfury
LOL Poundcake by Van Halen comes to mind there! (see the video)

Good one. Paul Gilbert once glued a load of picks to a sander and played that way. I'm sure it's on Youtube.

What he doesn't mention is once he caught his hair in the drill during a show.

HOLA4420
Good one. Paul Gilbert once glued a load of picks to a sander and played that way. I'm sure it's on Youtube.

What he doesn't mention is once he caught his hair in the drill during a show.

LOL wot a twonk! Back to Van Halen, really looking forward to Guitar Hero: Van Halen! Rock on!

HOLA4421
I agree.

Its not their skill level as such that is the problem...

spinal_tap.jpg

HOLA4422
I agree.

I think it's cos most of the time, soloing isn't pushing any boundaries. People who can do this are very few and far between, on any instrument. For instance Kirk Hammett plays a lot of solos....I aint ever heard him go anywhere near a boundary.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
I think it's cos most of the time, soloing isn't pushing any boundaries. People who can do this are very few and far between, on any instrument. For instance Kirk Hammett plays a lot of solos....I aint ever heard him go anywhere near a boundary.

Probably. I wish Hammett would put that fu*king wah-wah pedal away for a start. Mustaine kicks his ass.

HOLA4425

Archived