House Price Crash Forum

People In Mid-twenties Just Dont Get It!

boo

HOLA441
Not to the point of talking to invisible voices but just enough to make functioning difficult.

Don't worry, I only talk to visible voices. Although other people claim not to see them and

I think to myself "are they blind?"

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest absolutezero
I do think that if you are earning 35k, you ought not be at home and that clinging to your parents in this way is not healthy. Living near the parents is one thing, regularly visiting another, having a bolt hole if something goes horribly wrong another, but actually being under the same roof to an advanced age seems somewhat silly.

Other than because you're succumbing to groupthink, can you actually explain why?

HOLA443
Indeed. I should have stayed at home until 30 then got my parents to pay the down the deposit in order to get me to ****** off. Are you confusing me with Bingobob in the last comment? I can assure you I am far too boring to even attempt his wild lifestyle

I suggested what people MIGHT do in their mid 20's. I'm now 33 with a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage on a house I bought to live in, not make money from. A house that will do me for the next 20 years.

HOLA444
Other than because you're succumbing to groupthink, can you actually explain why?

here is a simple one.

If I want to sit at home watching what I want on my telly in a pair of pants, I'd prefer my mum wasn't in the same house.

Edited by bingobob777

HOLA445
Guest absolutezero
I'm really not saying I like it but events conspired to make this a viable option for a few months (previously I rented privately) in order to quickly build up a cash deposit for a house. I worked before entering univeristy and left in 2004 to live in london at which point even 1bed flats were out of reach on a low grad salary (I left university with a desmond in an arts subject from a polyversity).

Out of interest what arts subject was it and what is it you do now?

HOLA446
Guest absolutezero
here is a simple one.

If I want to sit at home watching what I want on my telly in a pair of pants, I'd prefer my mum wasn't in the same house.

It never stopped me....

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest absolutezero
Drama, IT Manager :huh:

Its been an interesting journey.

Drama? And you're straight?! ;)

On a more serious note, sounds like a very interesting journey.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Drama? And you're straight?! ;)

On a more serious note, sounds like a very interesting journey.

Yep three years of knocking about on course 90% made up of attractive, physicaly active (if slightly vacuous / self obsessed) girls kept me fairly straight surprisingly ;)

One day i'll write a book, on how to end up in a random but enjoyable job but I think a lot is down to luck.

HOLA4411
[...]

The parasite is detrimental to the host, the landlord is a parasite as s/he adds no productive value merely syphons off the value that others create.

[...]

The landlord is an investor and does provide a useful service for someone who wants to rent a flat and not buy one or continue to choose to live with their parents

Unless you are a communist, you probably don't mean what you've just posted

I think you're a bit whiny (sp?) and self righteous to be honest, but you no doubt think im a **** with my "non points" so lets just agree to stop arguing pointlessly ;)

HOLA4412
What's your point?

My point is that there are more than a few people on here who like to blame someone else for what they perceive to be injustices, be it landlords, baby boomers or countless others. It's never their own fault that they can't get what they want.

You/we are being manipulated, constant waves of brainwashing (thru media and reinvention of latest 'fads'/Peer pressure) and controlled/watched within an inch of your life - 24hrs a day!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
The landlord is an investor and does provide a useful service for someone who wants to rent a flat and not buy one or continue to choose to live with their parents

Unless you are a communist, you probably don't mean what you've just posted

I think you're a bit whiny (sp?) and self righteous to be honest, but you no doubt think im a **** with my "non points" so lets just agree to stop arguing pointlessly ;)

They are not investing in a productive activity. Their captital does not go into making more houses or making housing stock more productive it uses the restriction of land use by the government to buy a share in the housing "monopoly" in order to extract rent from those who can neither 1) Afford to buy into the same scheme, 2) build their own house due to state interferance.

I may come across as whiny (I have no idea on spelling it either) but that really isnt my way. I'm happy to let the market do its work i'm not looking for govt intervention and I am making some sacrifices in order to be able to buy my own house one day however the facts are the facts, landlording is a blight on productive industry which can only really exist due to the actions of the state (the ultimate landlord).

HOLA4417

Can you explain why on earth you would want your parents to be able to monitor your comings and goings up to the age of 30? Why would you want to be subsidised by your parents when you are perfectly capable of looking after yourself? I suppose it is down to the relationship you have with your parents to an extent, but strikes me as utterly bizarre. The apron strings need cutting at some point.

HOLA4418
Guest absolutezero
Can you explain why on earth you would want your parents to be able to monitor your comings and goings up to the age of 30?

Paranoid, much?

Why do you think think they'd "monitor"?

Why would you want to be subsidised by your parents when you are perfectly capable of looking after yourself?

Who said anything about being subsidised?

Why would you want to hand over large chunks of your hard earned when you can muck in a share the costs of living with your family?

I suppose it is down to the relationship you have with your parents to an extent, but strikes me as utterly bizarre. The apron strings need cutting at some point.

You only get one set of parents. Might as well make the most of them and get to know them while they're not dead.

HOLA4419
They are not investing in a productive activity. Their captital does not go into making more houses or making housing stock more productive it uses the restriction of land use by the government to buy a share in the housing "monopoly" in order to extract rent from those who can neither 1) Afford to buy into the same scheme, 2) build their own house due to state interferance.

[..]

Okay. this is all fair stuff, but I think its the result rather than the means that needs adjusting ;)

Could I point out though, which I think disproves the bolded text:

- the injection of private capital into the UK rental market did demonstrably induce housebuilders to create stock

- they just built profit maiximising blocks of slaveboxes that the BTL landlords were stupid/greedy enough to buy

On the role of the state, Im kinda not in favour of unfettered capitalism (check out the thread on Dubai)

HOLA4420
Paranoid, much?

Why do you think think they'd "monitor"?

Not deliberately but if you are living with people they are going to know about your comings and goings.

Who said anything about being subsidised?

Why would you want to hand over large chunks of your hard earned when you can muck in a share the costs of living with your family?

I think we've covered this point before. Up to you.

You only get one set of parents. Might as well make the most of them and get to know them while they're not dead.

Don't need to see them every day of my life in order to do that. Given they will be dead one day perhaps it'd be a good idea to have some semblance of independence before they pop their clogs.

I think we should agree to disagree otherwise we will end up going around in circles

HOLA4421
Okay. this is all fair stuff, but I think its the result rather than the means that needs adjusting ;)

Could I point out though, which I think disproves the bolded text:

- the injection of private capital into the UK rental market did demonstrably induce housebuilders to create stock

- they just built profit maiximising blocks of slaveboxes that the BTL landlords were stupid/greedy enough to buy

On the role of the state, Im kinda not in favour of unfettered capitalism (check out the thread on Dubai)

If people could build what they wanted where they wanted the problems you highlight would not exist. According to the govt we are still millions short of housing stock and neither was this the period in which housing units were created most rapidly despite the vast sums applied to the market over the last decade, so capital access is clearly not the determining factor. If anyone could buy a field and stick a house on it what kind of properties would the builders have to create then?

We could go a long way down the state as causation road but suffice it to say that I don't know of many markets where restricting the competetion has lead to better outcomes for consumers.

HOLA4422
Trust me some of us get it. We do remember the 80s though of course economicaly our experience is through our parents. I'm 28 and I fully recall the last recession. But I also left university into the height of the property boom (2004) and have never been able to afford to buy despite working hard and increasing my income every year, just never fast enough to compensate for HPI.

There are thousands of people in my position; young, educated and in reasonable jobs yet living usually in thrawl to some pig idiot boomer who just happened to be born early enough to mew enough "equity" out of the house they bought for buttons decades ago in order to profit from denying the next generation the opportunities they took for granted.

Don't worry we get it!

Well, I bought my house (5 bedrooms) in 1999 for £280,000 and have let some of the rooms out to mates ever since. I cn easily pay the mortgage off (its a repayment) and have been paying it down over the set amount for a while.

I don't feel that I have to live in a place on my own.

I'm 39 and also have a fair few houses that I rent to students at my old Uni. This seems to be working OK.

I am not competing with first time buyers, because FTBs don't buy 6 bedroom houses.

This seems to me a good way of making a decent extra income and I don't see anything wrong with it. There's always opportunites, if you know how and when to take them.

HOLA4423
Trust me some of us get it. We do remember the 80s though of course economicaly our experience is through our parents. I'm 28 and I fully recall the last recession. But I also left university into the height of the property boom (2004) and have never been able to afford to buy despite working hard and increasing my income every year, just never fast enough to compensate for HPI.

There are thousands of people in my position; young, educated and in reasonable jobs yet living usually in thrawl to some pig idiot boomer who just happened to be born early enough to mew enough "equity" out of the house they bought for buttons decades ago in order to profit from denying the next generation the opportunities they took for granted.

Don't worry we get it!

Spot on Ted, at 29 your opening paragraph is so bloody spot on!

However, we represent a small fraction in our age group.

HOLA4424
I'm afraid renting won't solve your care home fees obligations. Your 'ridiculous' amount of savings will be spent paying for your own care, until the total asset pile has reduced down to £23K. Councils don't fund individuals with assets over this sum. You are liable for full fees (£20K-£40K per year), and will be means tested if you apply for any contribution from the Council.

And I'm afraid they know all about 'hiding' money in the years preceding care home need.

Which is good reason to save for your retirement in precious metals. They'll be a record of your purchase of course, but after a few years no one can prove whether you still have it or sold it all off in little chunks as you will obviously claim you did, hehehe. Of course the authorities may be suspicious of the reason why you seem to be the only person in the care home rolling about in a gold-plated wheel chair, smoking cuban cigars and drinking the finest scotch, but they won't be able to prove a thing.

Of course this game plan doesn't take into account whether state funded health care will still be a reality in the next 30-50 years time.

HOLA4425
If people could build what they wanted where they wanted the problems you highlight would not exist. According to the govt we are still millions short of housing stock and neither was this the period in which housing units were created most rapidly despite the vast sums applied to the market over the last decade, so capital access is clearly not the determining factor. If anyone could buy a field and stick a house on it what kind of properties would the builders have to create then?

We could go a long way down the state as causation road but suffice it to say that I don't know of many markets where restricting the competetion has lead to better outcomes for consumers.

Well we agree on quite a lot then, which is nice ;)

But I do think you need some regulations to control what is build I'm afraid

I'm personally also not in favour of the regulation against BTL landlords that quite a lot of posters seem to think would be a good idea