House Price Crash Forum

Jim Knight On Newsnight Fights A Losing Battle

HOLA441
Well I was very impressed with all 3 of the young group and I thought the guy on the far right was right on the money. He is the sort of person who should be running the countries training and youth development projects. I was trying to get his name and details as all I know is he runs some unemployment group in London, I think.

He went straight to the core of the problem and spelt it out very articulately. But Jim Knight was just not listening, at all. It must have been so frustrating for all 3 of them.

Yep. Employers must have been drooling at what the 2 unemployed kids were saying : They will work for nothing if required.

Let the good times roll ......... :ph34r:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Yep. Employers must have been drooling at what the 2 unemployed kids were saying : They will work for nothing if required.

Let the good times roll ......... :ph34r:

I think you misheard; it was Jim Kight was saying they could stay in "training" forever if they wanted and earn nothing.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Many will never be in the position to acquire one!! Plus, if people are over 60 and still paying off a mortgage, then that's their look out.

Surely it is better for the state to provide for pensioners for 10-20 years then subsidizing the disenfranchised classes throughout their entire lifetime?

Average age of FTB = 34 years

Length of mortgage = 25 years

I think you will find a great number of people over 60 will be paying a mortgage, if you took out an endowment mortgage it's not like after 25 years you will suddenly be debt free is it?

HOLA446
Well I was very impressed with all 3 of the young group and I thought the guy on the far right was right on the money. He is the sort of person who should be running the countries training and youth development projects. I was trying to get his name and details as all I know is he runs some unemployment group in London, I think.

He went straight to the core of the problem and spelt it out very articulately. But Jim Knight was just not listening, at all. It must have been so frustrating for all 3 of them.

His name & company did flash up briefly. You will have to watch it on iplayer...

HOLA447
It's interesting that even in my lifetime I can remember when there were still the last vestiges of the "buy British" attitude, but that died sometime in the mid-80's when British Leyland finally keeled over and everyone started buying BMW's.
I drive a Lotus make in Norfolk, and it's amazing! As Colin Chapman said "To add speed, add lightness"!

ok the engine block is Toyota, but hey. The old rover K-series enging was also capable of 250bhp, and weighed only 85kg. The Toyota block is 135kg :o

HOLA448
Many will never be in the position to acquire one!! Plus, if people are over 60 and still paying off a mortgage, then that's their look out.

Oh, splendid. The scrapheap for anyone of a certain age who doesn't own property. Guess I'll have to drop out of work and acquire a dysfunctional family, so I can qualify for a council flat rather than pay a mortgage in my 60s.

HOLA449
Oh, splendid. The scrapheap for anyone of a certain age who doesn't own property. Guess I'll have to drop out of work and acquire a dysfunctional family, so I can qualify for a council flat rather than pay a mortgage in my 60s.

I've been looking into getting a couple of children to see me through the depression. I've calculated that if I have two and work 16 hours a week at minimum wage I'll get £1,200 a month in benefits and only have to pay £5.25 a month in council tax.

Just got to work out what to do with them if it all blows over.

Does anyone know how much it costs to run two children per month?

HOLA4410
I think the top and bottom of it is that its not the recession causing youth unemployment, its that the output of the UK's secondary "education" system are pretty much unemployable. A good friend is a university science professor, and he tells me they have to put pretty much all the freshers from UK comprehensives through remedial classes to get them up to the required standard in maths and chemistry.

As an immigrant, I did most of an undergrad BSc in my home country.

Last year (to met changing immigration requirements),

I completed a British Open University BSc in similar subjects.

I couldn't help but think that most of the 'hard' science was missing.

ie. a 300 level course seemed to be pitched at the same level as a 100 or 200 level course from back home.

Just an observation - could just be an Open Uni' thing?

HOLA4411
I drive a Lotus make in Norfolk, and it's amazing! As Colin Chapman said "To add speed, add lightness"!

ok the engine block is Toyota, but hey. The old rover K-series enging was also capable of 250bhp, and weighed only 85kg. The Toyota block is 135kg :o

"Any car which holds together for more than a race is too heavy."