House Price Crash Forum

Jim Knight On Newsnight Fights A Losing Battle

HOLA441

Poor old Jim tried desperately to inspire with talk of even more apprenticeship schemes and the offer of staying at school for an eternity but oh God what a load of rubbish; there are no jobs for them to get, so all they offer is a load of treading water to keep people off the numbers and in the illusion of progress. It'll never get better - those employers surviving this will do so by being so efficient they don't employ many people anyway!

It'll dawn on people eventually that we need to redefine what it means to earn a living; that will mean looking at the issue far more broadly than getting a payslip from a PAYE job. Poor old Jim would like to help but when the solutions include not having him and his pointless department, deregulating access to markets for individuals and deregulating the business of putting a roof over your head it simply won't work in his head.

Not sure the next ones in have any clearer ideas either. They all seem to be trapped by the same narrow thinking.

PS Didn't help when the lad on the street complained jobs couldn't give him a living income, as he chucked his fag end onto the road...... :rolleyes:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I felt sorry for that young bell end who got laid off by the hedge fund.

I couldn't really follow anything they were saying. None of them seem to understand the problem is too much debt. The only way this baby is going to get going again is through national bankruptcy.

HOLA443
HOLA444

They all seemed very focussed on paid employment.

We do have to get away from the idea that everyone needs one full time job that someone gives to them.

HOLA445
HOLA446
They all seemed very focussed on paid employment.

We do have to get away from the idea that everyone needs one full time job that someone gives to them.

The new fashion is working for nowt. I dunno, these youngsters. I blame the education system.

HOLA447
The new fashion is working for nowt. I dunno, these youngsters. I blame the education system.

I can see the value in this under certain circumstances, but I can also see that a lot of those kids are gonna get taken advantage of. Just think, you could upskill for nowt, build a client base for next to nowt or do nowt for something.

IMHO, If you're going to do something for nowt, you'd do best indulging your passion.

Ask Oasis, Dyson or Banksy.

HOLA448

Goldman Sachs etc have hollowed out the economy. This is the result. No proper jobs for youngsters any more.

When I was a kid in Northampton, the not so bright academic stream would have had apprenticeships at British Timken, or Express Lifts..

...now housing estates.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The winners swill be those that acquire skills that are currently undervalued.

That is: those that get experience of actually doing useful stuff and get paid a pittance for it, will be the guildsters of tomorrow.

HOLA4411

Globalism is the problem, or more accurately consumer greed.

It pushes employment abroad to 3rd world countries, encourages waste (buy new rather than make do) and loss of essential skill sets in the west.

Why are we acting angry or surprised when there are no jobs for our young? We're paying companies to outsource everything from menial factory work to call centers to highly skilled IT and engineering work just so we can buy our junk a little bit cheaper.

We've been left relying on gamblers in the city shifting bits on a computer to keep the economy going.

Its short sighted nonsense that could have been curbed by a forward thinking government, but instead has been actively encouraged.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

It pushes employment abroad to 3rd world countries, encourages waste (buy new rather than make do) and loss of essential skill sets in the west.

Why are we acting angry or surprised when there are no jobs for our young? We're paying companies to outsource everything from menial factory work to call centers to highly skilled IT and engineering work just so we can buy our junk a little bit cheaper.

We've been left relying on gamblers in the city shifting bits on a computer to keep the economy going.

Its short sighted nonsense that could have been curbed by a forward thinking government, but instead has been actively encouraged.

The consumer has increasingly little choice - try finding products made in the UK and besides they don't have the money to do so anyway.

What couldn't be easily offshored has been offshored onshore by importing cheap labour, there is no block on this continuing, cheaper staff who don't have to suffer the long term cost base issues will continue to displace workers, 4-5 million unemployed coming up?

HOLA4414
The consumer has increasingly little choice - try finding products made in the UK and besides they don't have the money to do so anyway.

What couldn't be easily offshored has been offshored onshore by importing cheap labour, there is no block on this continuing, cheaper staff who don't have to suffer the long term cost base issues will continue to displace workers, 4-5 million unemployed coming up?

One of the things that f_cks me off ( it is a long list) is the fact that people seem to think,as far as consumer goods are concerned, that cheap is desirable. I have become sick of buying cheaply made Chinese goods that break very quickly and even though they are cheap they are not worth the money.

People are f_cking stupid!

HOLA4415
One of the things that f_cks me off ( it is a long list) is the fact that people seem to think,as far as consumer goods are concerned, that cheap is desirable. I have become sick of buying cheaply made Chinese goods that break very quickly and even though they are cheap they are not worth the money.

In the 'Sod household the sudden total failure of anything is called a "Made in China".

Is it more, or less, worrying that they WILL catch up - design tech-wise - though? WTF will we do when that happens?

HOLA4416
In the 'Sod household the sudden total failure of anything is called a "Made in China".

Is it more, or less, worrying that they WILL catch up - design tech-wise - though? WTF will we do when that happens?

move to China?

I would approve if goods were good quality. I dont really care where they are made, as long as they are worth it.

HOLA4417

Yes, in many cases - better not buy at all, when you add up the cost for what you actually get back in serviceability. Goods that find their way onto the second hand market still working are the functioning/serviceable ones that have passed their initial bathtub curve testing. :lol:

Furniture is stuff that really surprises me, it would be almost impossible to manufacture some of the stuff made nowadays with less material input - hollow core construction with a slither of hardboard, meanwhile antique quality items seems to have fallen off a cliff price-wise.

HOLA4418

Nothing to add, but just wanted to say, Excellent post!

HOLA4419

knight said, that we are doing well compared to our 'Competitors' (the US and other European countries). Fooking competition, what thats all about, we have lower unemployment, and government policies are working, and how they have stopped another 150,000 jobs being lost blah blah.

It was the same old sh!t coming out of his mouth, really boring, a scratched record.

Then Blanchflower said, the government measures broadly speaking are correct, however they are being swamped by the numbers of umemployed. Then one of the guests asked him what could be done, he just waffled on about staying in eduaction longer, blah blah, basically same old sh!t.

He also said that the numbers of unemployed could just keep rising, and said whens it going to stop.

Edited by spark1

HOLA4420

I don't need or want a dvd player for £10, I'd rather pay a fair price and let the monkey at the end earn a worthwhile wage or better still make the thing here and plough the money back in the local economy so that local earnings can rise. We need another Clive Sinclair.

HOLA4421

Oh dear. How irritating.

Can't we outsource these youths somewhere?

The alternative is to give them a young professional (style) city centre flat

& a social worker (not over-reached).

Or start a war

Canon fodder - Factory fodder - Canon fodder

It's called a cycle isn't it? - The natural order. There is always a way forward.

How come I woke up in this mood? :unsure::(

HOLA4422

Look, you're not going to stop the path of cost reduction because it's what we all want (we don't want the consequences, but we prove we want the cost reduction because it's what we buy).

I can't see any other way but to see a redefinition of what it means to "earn a living". I'd like to see serious consideration of such things as;

* moves toward increased % self-sufficiency

* alternatives to the PAYE/Payslip definition of a job

* massive overhaul of house regulation - adopt a default permission stance

* options to "drop out" of the state-supported regime

Unless we give people a real alternative to the broken Hamster wheel there'll be unhappiness all round.

HOLA4423
Oh dear. How irritating.

Can't we outsource these youths somewhere?

The alternative is to give them a young professional (style) city centre flat

& a social worker (not over-reached).

Or start a war

Canon fodder - Factory fodder - Canon fodder

It's called a cycle isn't it? - The natural order. There is always a way forward.

How come I woke up in this mood? :unsure::(

Now, now don't be naughty!

HOLA4424
Look, you're not going to stop the path of cost reduction because it's what we all want (we don't want the consequences, but we prove we want the cost reduction because it's what we buy).

I can't see any other way but to see a redefinition of what it means to "earn a living". I'd like to see serious consideration of such things as;

* moves toward increased % self-sufficiency

* alternatives to the PAYE/Payslip definition of a job

* massive overhaul of house regulation - adopt a default permission stance

* options to "drop out" of the state-supported regime

Unless we give people a real alternative to the broken Hamster wheel there'll be unhappiness all round.

When we get to the point where people only buy on price, then we are f_cked totally

HOLA4425