House Price Crash Forum

Here's Why Banks Want 25% Deposit From 1st Time Buyers...

HOLA441
seems so obvious, am sure many have realised but why is this not being discussed more? surely many here understand the implications or is it just that those who do are spending more energy preparing rather than talking houses?

I thought the reason there were few fixed mortgages for greater than five years was because in less than five years there will be no 'fixed' houses due to flooding and global warming, they will all be bobbing about on the ocean? But the reason is not this???

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I thought the reason there were few fixed mortgages for greater than five years was because in less than five years there will be no 'fixed' houses due to flooding and global warming, they will all be bobbing about on the ocean? But the reason is not this???

Bobbing along with everyone's pants..... :P

HOLA443
HOLA444
http://www.fsa.gov.uk/tables/bespoke/Mortgages

Plenty of >5 year mortgages.

As for getting them, that all depends upon people matching the bank's criteria. That's out of the bank's hands and is down to them.

People can't bitch and moan if the bank won't lend them money because they've got other outstanding debts, or a few missed credit card payments.

Bears appear to be wishing for lending multiples to be returned to 3x, as was the case before Gordon's miracle years. The sensible lending practices of these former times also included the requirement for an unblemished credit history, a proven ability to save and budget, and quite possible a grilling by a bank manager, where you had to prove you could afford the loan.

If you want historic lending multiples, accept the criteria that come with them.

i just had a look - if i was to buy we'd have around 25% LTV and less than 2 x joint salary... (we also have unblemished credit history etc etc and happy to be grilled by bank manager)

yet the only 25 year offer is at 5.98%!!! the best 10 year fix is 5.19%.

i could get a 2 year tracker at 2.39% - compare this to september 08 when i was offered lifetime tracker at base rate plus 0.79%.

HOLA445
i just had a look - if i was to buy we'd have around 25% LTV and less than 2 x joint salary... (we also have unblemished credit history etc etc and happy to be grilled by bank manager)

yet the only 25 year offer is at 5.98%!!! the best 10 year fix is 5.19%.

i could get a 2 year tracker at 2.39% - compare this to september 08 when i was offered lifetime tracker at base rate plus 0.79%.

It's all up and down, topy turvy like, know wha' I mean, like? :P

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
If you want historic lending multiples, accept the criteria that come with them.

Sounds good, it means people will have to seriously think before making the largest commitment they will probably ever make. I know a (rather stupid) couple who started going out, bought together within a year, and then they fell out, still together cannot sell, and neither can afford to rent. If they had been required to proove that they could save this wouldn't have happened as there wouldn't have been this 'need' to buy ASAP due to ever escalating house prices.

HOLA449
yet the only 25 year offer is at 5.98%!!!

Sounds like a good deal to me!

The average mortgage interest rate your parents and grandparents paid over the lifetime of their mortgages was nearer 10%

In 2 years time this will seem very cheap. IMHO of course :)

HOLA4410

The average mortgage interest rate your parents and grandparents paid over the lifetime of their mortgages was nearer 10%

House prices are too high, but I dont think interest rates of 10% are even remotely likely.

1970 to 2000 was a historical anomaly.

HOLA4411

Yes - but our parents bought their properties for A QUARTER of what they cost now in real times.... So that blows that one out of the water... :rolleyes:

HOLA4412

Their mortgage interest rates were also for much lower house prices hence lower monthly payments.

HOLA4413
Their mortgage interest rates were also for much lower house prices hence lower monthly payments.

Snap Kazuya! I HATE it when I hear people like that thick slag krustie trot out this "interest rates have never been so low" cr@p....

PRICES HAVE NEVER, EVER BEEN SO HIGH, STUPID!

AND THE COST AS IT IS NOW HAS NEVER, EVER, EVER BEEN SO LUDICROUS!!!!!! :angry: :angry:

Edited by eric pebble

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
House prices are too high, but I dont think interest rates of 10% are even remotely likely.

1970 to 2000 was a historical anomaly.

Very true. Luckily enough we have turned our back on that FIAT debt based monetary system that led to all this mess. Just thank goodness we still don't use a system where the money supply can be increased infinitely based on nothing more than a promise to pay.

Just as well that 39 year anomoly is well and truly finished. Oh wait a second - it is not. The anomoly has become the norm.

Woops.... :rolleyes:

HOLA4418

Perhaps its a good deal! But not taking out mortgage on a house thats still on market at MORE THAN 2007 prices as all houses we are looking at around here (NW London) are. Also I wouldn't go into a 25 year fix as I'd want to pay mortgage down within 10 years.

I am hoping that in 2 years time the houses will seem very cheap!

As we have a good STR fund, if prices actually come down mortgage will only be less 20% LTV and aroound 1x joint income and then I will not mind at all if the rate is 10%. Am hoping that this sort of rate would bother everyone else!

re: my parents, interestingly they never had a mortgage, and have never borrowed money. Both set of parents had managed to save around £5k each for them and my grandfather hated the idea of borrowing and he didn't want them to have a mortgage as all the mortgages then (early 1970s) were fixed and inflexible they took out a bank loan instead and paid it off by living frugally for a few years. My parents bought their house (4 bed detached) in 1972 when they got married in 1972 for £15k and have just sold for £490k.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Very true. Luckily enough we have turned our back on that FIAT debt based monetary system that led to all this mess. Just thank goodness we still don't use a system where the money supply can be increased infinitely based on nothing more than a promise to pay.

Just as well that 39 year anomoly is well and truly finished. Oh wait a second - it is not. The anomoly has become the norm.

Woops.... :rolleyes:

LOL just as well we gave up debasing our currency else we would be in a complete mess now wouldn't we.

HOLA4421