House Price Crash Forum

It Help - Internet Browser

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I help a few people out with their computers from time-to-time, just as a friend or neighbour, when something goes wrong.

This time one has an error on IE where it shuts down straight away (encountered an error and has to close) before I even see a browser window.

As without a browser I couldn't get on the internet to download anything (they're on dial-up anyway) I thought I would download a browser programme from the internet, burn it to CD, and then install it on their PC to replace the defunct IE.

My initial thought was Firefox but for this, and IE, I couldn't find a programme download but could only find a direct install which I didn't want to do (because I've got it already, and because mine runs Vista and he is on XP).

So.... what I'm looking for is a downloadable browser that I can put on a CD and run on their PC. Maybe a very basic one so I can then download Firefox to replace the current broken IE.

Any thoughts? Cheers.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Just download the installer:

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

Yes it may take a while for the stuff to download but they'll have to bite the bullet.

Why on dialup these days? sheesh! Dial-up is open to mass issues such as viruses dialling out to expensive numbers.

Opera is really small and a very good browser, 5.36MB to download. http://www.opera.com

I use it on mobile devices, much better than the IE version for Windows CE. It is also very good on PCs.

HOLA444

Thanks both. I did the Opera download as that looked to be what I was after.

I have convinced them to go onto broadband but they need to wait for their existing contract to expire. My worry is that as they are dial-up and a light user they are not getting their windows patches or virus protection updates so are exposed on the net, and I know they use their credit card to buy things.

HOLA445
My worry is that as they are dial-up and a light user they are not getting their windows patches or virus protection updates so are exposed on the net, and I know they use their credit card to buy things.

That may explain why IE shuts down immediately after opening. I would try to get to the bottom of that.

HOLA446
That may explain why IE shuts down immediately after opening. I would try to get to the bottom of that.

Short of sitting round there for several hours every week and actually sorting out everything that I do for my own computer I don't see how I can. I've set it all up, explained what he has to do and why it's important, but he still sees a computer as a variant of the telephone that you turn on, use, and turn straight off again. As he's over 80 I can't see him changing his attitude but it is a bit eye-opening and you can see why pensioners get caught by internet scams.

If the average computer user actually stops and thinks how much knowledge they have of a complicated set of interacting programmes you can understand how it will be too much for a lot of people.

I also know a minority of clever people whose brains just don't work with computers. They start writing it down as soon as I tell them anything, and when I ask them not to but to try to understand what the string of commands is actually trying to accomplish and then it will all become much easier, still say they need to write it all down. And inevitably, because they don't understand what the commands are doing, if it doesn't work in the way they have written down, they are unable to come up with an alternative route.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
try resetting IE to its default settings under tools and advanced settings

You could also recover the entire system to factory specifications. That's my strategy fairly often over the last ten years. The trick is to keep any files you really want to keep on a separate apparatus. Never even had a backup disk for XP!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Archived