House Price Crash Forum

We're Gtfo

HOLA441

Several points:

1. It's a lot easier to move abroad when you're young and free, so why wait?

2. 90% of people are too stuck to move anywhere, and bitterly resent anyone who isn't. So they'll say things like "the grass is always greener" or "don't let the door bang you on the way out", because they've never been anywhere to live abroad (on their own money) and can't comment more intelligently from experience, because they don't have any.

3. Quite a lot of old people are frightened the young might not stick around to pay their inflated (unearned) pensions, so do their best to keep the young in the UK tax regime. Ex military, who of course spent most of their adult life swanning round the world on inflated government subsidies, seem particularly resentful of any young people who propose to travel using their own money; probably it's the same narrow minded desire to make the young pay their pensions.

4. Moving abroad is not a panacea. There will be things about the new country that annoy you, things you take for granted in the UK (eg not being able to find a pair of trousers that fit). There will also be things you didn't expect that you miss (eg Sunday papers). However, since most moves abroad are economic/lifestyle choices, the chances are (if you did your research) that it will be better for you in the new country in that respect. It's the things you didn't expect that get you down. (eg a fine constitution, but in practice no free speech).

For the first 6 months the new country is great, in years 2 and 3 you discover all the things that irritate you. And after 5 years, you realise that a great country is neither the UK nor the new country, but some combination of all the great things from both. In short, you become smug about nowhere, and never completely satisfied with anywhere.

5. IMHO the UK's up-sides are lively conversation, music, green grass, history, fog, books, museums and mild winters. The downsides are inherited wealth, the lousy summers, the cost of living, the class system, the non education system; No doubt you have your own list.

6. In theory the UK could solve most of its problems. But these problems have been around for more than 100 years and have not been solved, so they are entrenched. The political system clearly cannot be reformed from within. The UK has been in gentle decline since about 1960, and nothing in the papers or political theatricals changes that; it's all just false promises to keep your spirits up, while the UK settles down to being a middling european power much like belgium or italy. The UK chooses decline over reform consistently.

7. If you want a great country, one where great things are going to happen because the people have sorted out their institutions, on the scale of Athens after they got rid of the Persians say: I don't know where that is. They all look more or less like corporate oligarchies to me. Better in my view to move for the lifestyle and weather than the economics, at least that way you'll get the life you wanted; economic prospects (seen from abroad) are often distorted by propaganda.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Several points:

1. It's a lot easier to move abroad when you're young and free, so why wait?

2. 90% of people are too stuck to move anywhere, and bitterly resent anyone who isn't. So they'll say things like "the grass is always greener" or "don't let the door bang you on the way out", because they've never been anywhere to live abroad (on their own money) and can't comment more intelligently from experience, because they don't have any.

Or maybe they do, and have come to realise that every generation believes its experiences are new and unique ... including the experience of dissatisfaction with the status quo and the entrenched interests it represents, and the consequent desire to gtfo.

HOLA443

If you want to hear a list of things that are annoying ask a Pole.

There are loads of things, it has a limited amount of consumer choice than the UK, many things arn't available here or are much more expensive. Something's are cheaper- food (which is basically all organic) and alcohol for instance.

Wages are shit, I mean £500 per month shit.

This is an English language, Polish forum which is excellent for all things, Polish. Including a few Pole hating racists (who they don't bother to ban)

http://www.polishforums.com/

HOLA444

I'm Australian. Have been here 17 years. In August, my English partner and I are sodding off to Oz to go and live rent free in the granny flat in my parents' basement. Apart from the bad weather, chav scum, and ripoff Britain, the thing that most makes us want to leave is the guilty until proven innocent police state that the UK is turning into. Nowhere is perfect, but the balance has swung too far in the UK. Once upon a time I used to like it here...

HOLA445

Good luck moshmonster!

At your ages you are doing the right thing. There are some very good posts on here describing emotions and thoughts I felt when I left in 98 at the age of 40 for the UAE. And nothing has changed since I left for the better in in the UK in terms of quality of life. Quite the opposite. I rarely return and in fact expect only to come back for one or two funerals in future.

I miss only good TV programs, thankfully there are some and they end up on DVD which can be imported if not on the shelves, and a good pint of real ale. The pint of bitter is my only discernable sacrifice.

The UK has been slowly going down since the sixties in terms of communities, education and quality of life and the few at the top have pocketed the resources, North Sea oil, and used advances in technology to sacrifice jobs to boost profits, apparently the new god.

And they've created some mad PC world to keep everyone too busy to notice those at the top from all parties are crooks put in place by a very few people. Every now and again they trot out Robin Hood so everyone walks around with the idea in their minds the good guys won ages ago and all's good. Well he didn't win and the country is beginning to resemble a penal colony not far removed to that portrayed in the film 'Children of Men. The country is drowning in debt brought about by a bent banking system run by a few.

Times as an expat have not always been good to me but I hope never to be desperate enough to return to the UK.

My permanent home is in Europe in a country where NO! to the tax thieves means NO!

The best poster for you in terms of advice is 24grey24. Sorry if I've spelt that incorrectly.

HOLA446
I now work from home

PS. I have no degrees, no A-levels, and no professional qualification. Just common sence and decent work ethics.

So basically you are self employed. For employed people a degree is a must (sad but true), unless you just want a job at Tesco's.

Nothing wrong with being self employed, just that most people don't have enough common sense to know how to do it, which is one of my motivations for wanting to do it!