House Price Crash Forum

I hope to write this so that it is not percieved as a bitch and a moan. It is a look at my situation, what I am witnessing on the groung, and what I consider will become a serious problem in the future:

It looks like my boyfriend’s job is no longer secure. At first we fretted about what to do, but now we realise we don't care.

We're off! We've saved up money - which we were going to buy a house with (about 30k) but we've decided we've had enough of waiting for someone, anyone, to take an interest in us and taking the money with us.

Fed up with this country's non-interest in anyone under 30, we're voting with our feet.

His mum has a bought a one bed flat in Krakow (for when she retires in 5 years). We can live there rent free until it's sorted. My boyfriend is fluent in Polish, I don't speak any, however one of us speaking is better than none, and I am willing to work hard and learn quickly. Having left university I have found it impossible to get any kind of decent job (and by decent I don't mean highly paid, I mean a job with a prospect of any career progression), I was then made redundant. I don't want to temp for the rest of my life - as I have been doing throughout university and a year after I finished it.

None of us want to pay off someone else investment. Rents are too high, house prices are too high, cost of living is too high. The only way my boyfriend and I have any chance of starting a family or having any kind of decent life is to: a) get hideously into debt, B) have rich parents.

About 35% of all our university taught friends (age 22-30, all lower middle class with a strong work ethic - basically the productive ones that earn a relatively good wage, but still can't afford to live), have left the country for the very reasons above, and I'd say near 70% are seriously considering doing it. 100% would do it if the opportunity fell into their lap.

I expect this line of thought amongst our youth to get worse if the government (and the general public) don't take an active interest in improving their youth and young adult policies.

For us it's too late; the straw on the camel's back is broken. Come September/October we are out of here as is the extra £2000 a month tax that we currently pay jointly to the thieves in charge, and the 30k that we have scrimped and saved for that will barely pay rent and bills for a year. Our investment is out of London and out of the UK.

I would be interested in finding out the demographics of those leaving the UK (if these figures exist somewhere) and if it is similar to what I am witnessing on the ground. A mass youth exodus.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
But why will anywhere else be better?

The UK Monopoly Board is full and they don't want to stay in Jail as a strategy?

There's still some currency arbitrage value in the Pound.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

But why will anywhere else be better?

This really doesn't matter. It might be better and it might not.

The point is that we are dissattified. It dosen't matter if it isn't better becuase we can always come back. However I can anticipate that 50%, if not the majority, would like what they see overseas and stay permanantly.

Had I not been dissatisfied the thought would never have crossed my mind in the first place.

The point is that we are dissattified. It dosen't matter if it isn't better becuase we can always come back. However I can anticipate that 50%, if not the majority, would like what they see overseas and stay permanantly.

Had I not been dissatisfied the thought would never have crossed my mind in the first place.

The husband and I are in our early thirties, both are grads and post grads, both have above average earnings. Guess what. We can't afford a house where we live in Berkshire with enough bedrooms to start a family (2), in an area where you could send them to school without them turning into scumbags .

I have family in France who could put us up while we sort ourselves out, I am now desperate to leave the uk. I see no decent future here for my children (when they arrive). Persuading the husband to leave though is proving tough. However cr@p it gets here his family are here and that seems to be overriding the other factors at the mo.

The husband and I are in our early thirties, both are grads and post grads, both have above average earnings. Guess what. We can't afford a house where we live in Berkshire with enough bedrooms to start a family (2), in an area where you could send them to school without them turning into scumbags .

I have family in France who could put us up while we sort ourselves out, I am now desperate to leave the uk. I see no decent future here for my children (when they arrive). Persuading the husband to leave though is proving tough. However cr@p it gets here his family are here and that seems to be overriding the other factors at the mo.

You could always go for a year and see how it goes. And let him know that if it doens't work out then the UKplc isn't moving anywhere fast and you can always come back...

get Skype!

You could always go for a year and see how it goes. And let him know that if it doens't work out then the UKplc isn't moving anywhere fast and you can always come back...

get Skype!

Getting him to leave his mother for even that long might prove difficult :lol:

i had a very similar conversation with my other half at the weekend. her contract finishes at the end of July, and although she is getting some interest from recruiters i think its highly unlikely she wont be finding a permanent job, and it will probably take a good few months to find even temp work.

she is Italian so we have discussed going to Italy for a year or two, it would probably take me a few months of lessons to be up to speed but i do already have a decent understanding and can at least follow a conversation.

however she isn't keen on staying in Italy as she much prefers the British way of life, we do have a few things going for us that we probably dont realise and until you live somewhere else you wouldn't notice them... i think your right though, given the opportunity to leave most people our age would do, there really isn't much here, and the grass always looks greener on the other side ;)

I work 'remotely' most of the time anyway. So long as I move to a place with good airport links with London and good broadband, I'm fine. Choose somewhere with a much lower cost of living and you're sorted! And LOWER taxes! If you get the opp to work remotely, would you choose Cadiz, Chartres, Cracow, Cardiff or Chelmsford?

Edited by gruffydd

I hope to write this so that it is not percieved as a bitch and a moan. It is a look at my situation, what I am witnessing on the groung, and what I consider will become a serious problem in the future:

It looks like my boyfriend’s job is no longer secure. At first we fretted about what to do, but now we realise we don't care.

We're off! We've saved up money - which we were going to buy a house with (about 30k) but we've decided we've had enough of waiting for someone, anyone, to take an interest in us and taking the money with us.

Fed up with this country's non-interest in anyone under 30, we're voting with our feet.

His mum has a bought a one bed flat in Krakow (for when she retires in 5 years). We can live there rent free until it's sorted. My boyfriend is fluent in Polish, I don't speak any, however one of us speaking is better than none, and I am willing to work hard and learn quickly. Having left university I have found it impossible to get any kind of decent job (and by decent I don't mean highly paid, I mean a job with a prospect of any career progression), I was then made redundant. I don't want to temp for the rest of my life - as I have been doing throughout university and a year after I finished it.

None of us want to pay off someone else investment. Rents are too high, house prices are too high, cost of living is too high. The only way my boyfriend and I have any chance of starting a family or having any kind of decent life is to: a) get hideously into debt, B) have rich parents.

About 35% of all our university taught friends (age 22-30, all lower middle class with a strong work ethic - basically the productive ones that earn a relatively good wage, but still can't afford to live), have left the country for the very reasons above, and I'd say near 70% are seriously considering doing it. 100% would do it if the opportunity fell into their lap.

I expect this line of thought amongst our youth to get worse if the government (and the general public) don't take an active interest in improving their youth and young adult policies.

For us it's too late; the straw on the camel's back is broken. Come September/October we are out of here as is the extra £2000 a month tax that we currently pay jointly to the thieves in charge, and the 30k that we have scrimped and saved for that will barely pay rent and bills for a year. Our investment is out of London and out of the UK.

I would be interested in finding out the demographics of those leaving the UK (if these figures exist somewhere) and if it is similar to what I am witnessing on the ground. A mass youth exodus.

I'm 36 and in a similar boat. I was made redundant in March, don't own property but have an awful lot saved (nearly 100k). We're seriously cotemplating moving abroad too.

I was one of the first Gen-Xers - most that went before me are the last of the boomers. And I have to say that the GenXers have been royally shafted by the boomers. Like I keep saying this is well-planned and co-ordinated inter-generational theft.

This is the flaw in the government's strategy of advising new graduates to travel abroad - they won't come back.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Like I keep saying this is well-planned and co-ordinated inter-generational theft.

Except many of the silly buggers are still in huge debt because they've always lived in an inflationary environment.

When did the young become so dreary?

That's OK then. you won't have to put up with us for much longer.

Instead you can say hello to replacements to your sons and daughters: Abdul and Naseem and Sreeptha (even the Polish themselves are buggering off). They'll work hard. I'm sure you'll love them just as much as us.

Edited by moshmonsta

I agree with your sentiments, being in pretty much the same situation myself.

However, before taking the plunge it's worth talking to friends/acquaintances who have checked out if the grass is really greener on the other side ;)

This country has seen massive immigration in the last few years - which would tend to suggest that the poles/tcheqs/french/spanish reckon that Britain, despite all its faults, is better than their home country.

In our case my S.O. and myself have lived and worked in both England and France. For us, England remains the better country for living (not holidaying or retiring) despite the recent financial implosion, rubbish healthcare, etc...

Of course, every case is unique, your mileage may vary, etc... ;) Speak a lot to people who know both countries before you commit to a decision.

Think everywhere will have serious problems in the next few years. This isn't about how "good" or "bad" the UK is, it's about leveraging what assets you have to get a better lifestyle.

i.e. it's selfishness - a cheap lifestyle in other people's misery.

If people want to leave the UK, that's OK, but stop pretending that everywhere abroad is somehow a magical land of opportunity - it isn't. It's the local youth who will suffer when the p*ssed off Brits arrive and drive up house prices, colonise the local bars while refusing to learn the language etc.

That's OK then. you won't have to put up with us for much longer.

Instead you can say hello to replacements to your sons and daughters: Abdul and Naseem and Sreeptha (even the Polish themselves are buggering off). They'll work hard. I'm sure you'll love them just as much as us.

See ya. Wouldn't want to be ya.