House Price Crash Forum

Property Availability

HOLA441

All I want to do is buy a property to live in for the next 20 years, but the lack of available good property in London is driving me to despair. I'm sick of renting and just want to get on the ladder to set up my own home.

Just found out the property i was going to buy has major structural issues, so that £700 survey fees down the drain, gutted.

Is is going to be like this for the forseable future, I'm not condoning price increases, but sense from people that were never going to get back to 2007 prices, at least not for another 10 years.

Migzy :(

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
What major structural work?

And how major? did you not notice as you walked round?

nope surveyor picked it up, roof issue's, damp issues, render covering other issues, the list goes on, they basically got the biggest cow boy builders to do work on the place and they knackered the place up. The lounge and dinning room had been knocked throught together, but they failed to put in an RSJ.

The place has a tennant in it as well, proper dangerous

HOLA445
All I want to do is buy a property to live in for the next 20 years, but the lack of available good property in London is driving me to despair. I'm sick of renting and just want to get on the ladder to set up my own home.

Just found out the property i was going to buy has major structural issues, so that £700 survey fees down the drain, gutted.

Is is going to be like this for the forseable future, I'm not condoning price increases, but sense from people that were never going to get back to 2007 prices, at least not for another 10 years.

To be fair, if you've just found out that the property you were going to buy has major structural issues, it's probably £700 well spent.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Why would you just want to buy now?

Renting is saving you losing your hard fought for deposit.

renting is also loosing me 12k a year whilst someone else get's their mortgage paid. Even with further drops i'd rather own something at the end, otherwise i'll be working the rest of my life to pay off the rent.

HOLA4410

Unfortunately most people suffer from greed and stupidity. One of the underlying traits of the Bulls on here is their belief that the highest valuation ever given on property is the correct valuation. Unfortunately most OOs suffer from the same delusion and would rather put their lives on hold in the hope of getting that highest valuation. As a result they will end up not moving for the next ten years.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
renting is also loosing me 12k a year whilst someone else get's their mortgage paid. Even with further drops i'd rather own something at the end, otherwise i'll be working the rest of my life to pay off the rent.

But the property you're likely to buy will drop by more in value than you're paying to rent it.

You're falling into the buying/ladder trap.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Um, I may have had a few beers tonight but that doesn't make alot of sense.... :unsure:

You want 2007 prices back.....???? :blink::unsure:

BF

HOLA4415

And how much would mortgage interest, buildings insurance and maintenance going to cost over the same period?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

nope definetly don't want house prices to ever go back to 2007 levels. The purpose of me buying my house is so that when i'm at retirement age and fancy relaxing i don't have to pay the rent and my house will be paid. My standards are perfectly fine, my last property was ex-council and i had no problems with it.

HOLA4418

WRONG

Compare

the cost of owning I/O mortgage +costs

to the cost of renting

IF the cost of I/O + costs is more than the cost of renting, the landlord isnt getting there mortgage paid. If the cost of owning is more than renting the LL is subsidising your rent! Most/All of London is in the situation..

All you need to do in a falling market is to save the amount you would pay the debt down by each month to put towards a deposit....Save Save Save Save....

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4419
WRONG

Compare

the cost of owning I/O mortgage +costs

to the cost of renting

IF the cost of I/O + costs is more than the cost of renting, the landlord isnt getting there mortgage paid. If the cost of owning is more than renting the LL is subsidising your rent! Most/All of London is in the situation..

All you need to do in a falling market is to save the amount you would pay the debt down by each month to put towards a deposit....Save Save Save Save....

i've got a nice deposit already, just want a bloody decent property to put it into

:rolleyes:

HOLA4420
i've got a nice deposit already, just want a bloody decent property to put it into

Obviously not if all your seeing is the same old tat, up your target and aim for something bigger... Renting for less than the I/O mortgage cost isn't throwing money away, your landlord is throwing money at you! It is saving you money! The bigger the deposit you get the bigger the property, or the shorter the term you can arrange... Why 20 years? Wouldn't a 10 or 15 year mortgage be better to be debt free after?

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4421

So have I.

But I'm not prepared to lose any of it in a decent property that is falling in value, month on month.

I'll rent and wait for the market to show me it's safe to buy once the stupid prices level out.

I'm letting my LL take the hit for now.

Edited by pie-eater

HOLA4422

maybe so but how long and london prices haven't fallen anywhere near the 25 -30 % mark in my area it's a pain in the backside.

I'd love to puy a property 50k cheaper than it is now, but due to the lack of availabilty it just ain't happening round here.

Vendors would rather just sit on their **** than see their property go for anything less than 2007 levels, greedy sods.

:angry:

HOLA4423
maybe so but how long and london prices haven't fallen anywhere near the 25 -30 % mark in my area it's a pain in the backside.

I'd love to puy a property 50k cheaper than it is now, but due to the lack of availabilty it just ain't happening round here.

Vendors would rather just sit on their **** than see their property go for anything less than 2007 levels, greedy sods.

Wait and save.

Or buy and lose.

Or, wait and buy something you can't afford just yet. The standoff will end once realisation sinks in.

HOLA4424

Have you considerd pouring petrol on it and lighting a match? A lot less effort than going through the hassle of buying property to get rid of it.

Edited by wonderpup

HOLA4425

so what, they are allowed to be greedy, some will do OK some won't..... history tells us the trough will last a couple of years so there is no rush, plenty of time to jump in when Everyman and his dog is telling you property is a bad investment.... If you want a bargain remember the asking price is just an asking price, you need to offer 15-30% below the asking price, alternative keep an eye on auctions for a real market price.

Other sites to look at include home.co.uk and houseprices.uk.net to give you a clearer picture of the real market (without Estate Agent Bias and Spin)

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...location=london

Time on Market in london

mediantombytype-london-200701-200905.gif

Median Selling price in london

median-london-200004-200903.gif

Qty of Sales in London

counts-london-200004-200902.gif