House Price Crash Forum

It Job Market Goes Down Toilet

HOLA441
Guest skullingtonjoe
Check out the chart on this site for the number of IT jobs being advertised:

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/

We've now officially taken out the 2003 post Y2K, post dot com crash lows. What's interesting is that the current drop shows no signs of slowing, if anything it's accelerating. This fits with my anecdotal evidence of getting very few calls about jobs, and the number of geeks I know who are "resting".

This is bad - IT is (was?) one of our most profitable industries :( .

A lot of `issues` raised here - but thank God it hasn`t turned into a Windows-vs-Linux debate! ;)

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

On the original topic, due to redundancy I've been looking for work since the beginning of the week and I'm actually surprised at how many agencies have contacted me. Seems to be quite a lot out there. Got one interview lined up and a few more are looking hopeful. This is for .NET development.

HOLA443

I've just gone permie after 15 years contracting.

I've never seen it so bad, so when someone offered me 60K as a permie I took their hand off. Its a public sector outsourced 6 year project, so some stability.

My plan is to sit out the storm until it passes. If it ever does.

The raw jobserve count has gone down by 60-65% from a year ago or two ago, whilst the count for the skills I've got (Oracle, ERP) has just fallen off the graph - about 80% down from peak.

Its quiet out there... too quiet...

Edited by ItsColdUpHere

HOLA444
HOLA445
I've just gone permie after 15 years contracting.

I've never seen it so bad, so when someone offered me 60K as a permie I took their hand off. Its a public sector outsourced 6 year project, so some stability.

My plan is to sit out the storm until it passes. If it ever does.

The raw jobserve count has gone down by 60-65% from a year ago or two ago, whilst the count for the skills I've got (Oracle, ERP) has just fallen off the graph - about 80% down from peak.

Its quiet out there... too quiet...

Great decision - the jobstats chart is still heading south, and there's no sign of bottoming yet, let alone going back up again.

I found that even in 2001-02 I got plenty of interviews as I had a decent CV, but there were so many people after jobs that it was difficult to get a job offer.