House Price Crash Forum

How Accurate Is Zoopla?

HOLA441

I have recently sold my house 9so that I could downsize) and the price, as advised by the estate agent, was actually quite close to the Zoopla sites assessment of my house.

I am now looking to buy. I see lots of house that I like but they seem very highly priced compared to the one that I sold and also compared to Zoopla.

Is Zoopla accurate?

HOLA442
I have recently sold my house 9so that I could downsize) and the price, as advised by the estate agent, was actually quite close to the Zoopla sites assessment of my house.

I am now looking to buy. I see lots of house that I like but they seem very highly priced compared to the one that I sold and also compared to Zoopla.

Is Zoopla accurate?

No, how can it be?

HOLA443
No, how can it be?

Any chance of a quick summary of how it works then?

It hasn't looked that accurate when I've looked at it but if it is just using a small number of recent transactions as its basis (as it appears to me) then it can only ever be a start point.

HOLA444
Any chance of a quick summary of how it works then?

It hasn't looked that accurate when I've looked at it but if it is just using a small number of recent transactions as its basis (as it appears to me) then it can only ever be a start point.

IIRC it simply takes the last sold price and date and calculates what that price would be compared to what the market has done since then. It therefore lags the market, has no idea of what improvements or otherwise have been done on the property you are interested in, and so can be wildly inaccurate.

As a quick test, find a block of flats near you and see what it thinks the price should be for each flat. You'll quickly realise it isn't much of a guide at all.

HOLA445

Is Zoopla accurate?

Since Zoopla doesn't buy houses no it isn't.

HOLA446
IIRC it simply takes the last sold price and date and calculates what that price would be compared to what the market has done since then. It therefore lags the market, has no idea of what improvements or otherwise have been done on the property you are interested in, and so can be wildly inaccurate.

As a quick test, find a block of flats near you and see what it thinks the price should be for each flat. You'll quickly realise it isn't much of a guide at all.

Ta, that makes sense from the figures I've seen. For postcodes where there are virtually no transactions the values were just wrong.

It's a useful resource, just not an accurate price guide then.

HOLA447

You can add more info to the house, and I assume it adjusts for that. However, I've noticed it's got houses in the wrong category, e.g. a detached as a semi.

However, it's still one of many tools to use..

HOLA448
HOLA449

Thanks guys.

It seems to me that Zoopla works in two ways. Firstly it will record the price that a particular house sells at and then adds on or takes away the changes since then. Secondly people can add data themselves and so amend the price of the house. I have done this myself for my own house but also when I saw a house for sale I added the asking price to Zoopla. I was just kind of playing with it.

Personally I think it's a tool that can help. It certainly helps to highlight if a house is way off beam i think.

HOLA4410

Well not at all really because it doesn't allow for variables, for example our house is very like next doors to the right only we have an extra 30' of garden and a brand new kitchen and bathroom and is newly decorated throughout, so I would expect that ours would sell for more, yet zoopla would price them the same.

Next door on the other side has been converted for a disabled child and is in good repair but needs major cosmetic work so that would be worth less than both the other houses.

Pricing is not an exact science, a house is worth what a buyer will pay and a seller will accept.

HOLA4411