House Price Crash Forum

Gosforth

linope

HOLA441

We are hoping to move to Gosforth. Looking for a family home in NE3, but price wise, we really want to keep it below 220,000. Any particular areas to recommend (or not)? What is the area/roads around Kenton Road like? A number of houses seem to have been on the market a while but no price drops!

HOLA442
We are hoping to move to Gosforth. Looking for a family home in NE3, but price wise, we really want to keep it below 220,000. Any particular areas to recommend (or not)? What is the area/roads around Kenton Road like? A number of houses seem to have been on the market a while but no price drops!

Well, we live fairly close to there, and it's not too bad, but you could probably do a little better for yourself.

You don't say how many bedrooms you want, or whether the schools are a consideration, or what sort of house you want. I've just done a check on Rightmove for NE3 + 1/2 a mile, and there are lots of properties on at less than 220,000 - and that's just the asking prices.

You also need to decide whether you want to be in one of the big "Parks" - like Brunton Park, or in the centre of Gosforth. Both have their pluses and minuses - the Parks are full of families, and most of the older buildings are pretty good buys (in so far as any house is a good buy, at the moment, but that's another story!), I would recommend avoiding anything in the "Great Park" development. I'm not very impressed by the houses themselves, and it's all rather cramped. It's also a long way from the schools and the shops if you don't have access to a car.

If you fancy a Victorian house, then you can find older terraced houses within easy reach of Gosforth under your budget, and they will be closer to the High Street.

I'm not very well up on the catchment areas for schools, so you'd have to research that yourself, depending on what age group your kids are. My children went to primary schools in Gosforth, but that was a long time ago.

If you want to be within easy reach of a particular part of Gosforth, then you should factor that in, as the NE3 area now covers a wide swathe of Newcastle and several rather different areas. Had you considered Heaton? If you need to be on that side of Gosforth, you will find that adding Heaton to your list will add to your options quite usefully. Heaton has some ropey bits, some quite good bits, and one or two seriously expensive bits. If you want a modern house, however, you're probably not going to want Heaton - there's a lot of "period" property there.

You don't say where you're moving from - do you know the Newcastle area?

db

• 1 month later...
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Estate agents view of Gosforth is bizarre. Because it is seen as a popular place to live gosforth now covers huge sections of Newcastle. It's a little frustrating.

We've found Gosforth to be expensive and you get mor ehouse for your money in other areas that can be nice. We've been quite impressed with some in Benton.

HOLA446
HOLA447

South Gosforth is a significantly cheaper option that the other side of the High Street. Some decent houses around there for under £220,000. However, you won't get a period property with a garden yet. Period property with yard or modern with garden are the realistic choices. Also beware of the "Gosforth Empty Brained EA/Vendor Effect". They think that they are immune to the recession because they believe that Gosforth and Jesmond are the only nice places to live in Newcastle area, thereby keeping prices buoyant. I am constantly confronted with statements such as "Prices will never go down in Gosforth." or "Normal market forces don't apply due to the shortage of nice houses" - this from well educated people!?

Ask them to reflect upon the fact that in 2001/2002, prices in Gosforth were about 50% lower than they are today. There was huge house price inflation in the period to 2007. Nice houses were no less scarce in 2001 than they are now, so nothing to stop them from returning to those prices.

I was looking to move within Gosforth 9 months ago, but vendors were being stupid. I would suggest you wait until they cotton on to the economic reality of falling prices which is probably going to take another year. They are starting to get the message but its a slow process.

Finally, beware of Sanderson Young - they have been fuelling the crazy house price inflation in the past and don't seem to know how to change their approach in a falling market. When I was looking they were deliberately adding 15-20% onto prices because they knew that a lot of people were expecting discounts from asking prices.

End of rant ...

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA448

Thanks for all the feedback. We're now considering Central Grange (which I haven't really had a good look around yet)as we will both be working in the nearby area. Does anyone live here? What is it like? Any useful advice for a new family to the area?

HOLA449

Central grange is not gosforth, i would say not even kenton, more like cowgate!

Have a walk down the nearby harehills ave,when i was a bus driver we were often attacked down there, millions have been spent tarting up cowgate but they soon drag it down.

It really is one of the worst areas in Newcastle, on a par with scotswood.

Your local school is kenton comp, better than it used to be but still not somewhere i would send my kids.

Edited by geordieskin

HOLA4410

I've done a trawl of Rightmove, and come up with some suggestions that might meet your £220 budget, on the assumption that you might well be able to remove a certain amount from the asking price, at least if you have finance in place. Most of the houses are listed on streets which I don't know personally, but are close to, and similar to, streets that I do know.

You said you wanted "a family house", so I've assumed a 3-bed semi as a minimum. There are other types of housing - especially older terraces elsewhere in the city which might suit you just as well, but I've assumed that you do want to be near-ish to Gosforth. If you are considering other parts of the city, let me know and I'll have a look at, for example, some of the "nicer" bits of Fenham. You also don't say what sort of ages your children are, so I don't know whether you need nursery or places where you can make them catch the bus or walk.

Here, then is a small selection of properties which would be ones I might consider if I were moving a young-ish family, and wanted to be fairly close to Gosforth. Let me know why they are all wrong for you, and I might be able to make a better guess at what would be right.

Here goes:

Kingsmere £219,950

RM: Kingsmere

4-bed, detached, repo (by the look of it), quite a nice little enclave, very edge of Gosforth, good bus service, rather a long way from Gosforth High Street and Metros. Kingsmere small estate of very recent build houses - rooms and gardens probably a bit cramped, but build quality not too bad.

South Gosforth OIEO £225,000

RM: South Gosforth

3-bed detached Quite a nice little area, but it is right next to the Freeman Hospital (big and growing), so parking is tightly controlled, you're also near S. Gosforth Metro. Obviously can be a bit noisy, but buses excellent and you can always pick up a pint of milk at the Freeman shop! Got some nice parkland quite close, and there are lots of buses, and your school access is quite good, I think. Property newish, and layout a bit cramped, but worth a look.

The Wynd, Kenton £200,000

RM: Kenton, The Wynd

Just a stone's throw from #1 (Kingsmere), but the "wrong" side of Kenton Road. Still a fairly quiet neighbourhood, but I wouldn't like to guarantee the schools situation. This one a traditional 3-bed semi with (by the look of the EPG) the need of some TLC. Proportions typical 3-bed semi. Probably over-priced, but this bit of Kenton gains from being just across the road from Gosforth.

Kenton, The Crossway. £249,950

RM: Kenton, The Crossway

5 bedroom semi-detached. This is above your budget, but it's been on the market since August 2008, so they may be prepared to talk turkey. Again, I don't know if Kenton feeds into the Gosforth school system, which must affect anyone with a family. However, this is the "nice" bit of Kenton, just a stone's throw from from the other Kenton property (#3 above) and Kenton Road, which is the "border" of Gosforth. This means you're a long way from Gosforth High Street, and from the metro system, but close to good bus routes both to central N/C and to the HIgh Street. Also good road links to the A1 (if that matters to you). There are a few local shops with basic amenities.

Westlands, High Heaton OIRO £226,000

RM: High Heaton

3 bedroom semi. 50s(?) style with a bit of garden. This is in High Heaton, but is only some 800 yards from property No 2 (South Gosforth). Again the property is a little above your limit, but has been on the market since July 2008, during which time they've reduced it by a total of 10K! A little talking should bring them down well below £220. High Heaton is another place where you'll find lots of professional families, and access to respectable schools - Heaton Manor (secondary school) is just down the road.

Church Avenue, Gosforth £219,950

RM: Gosforth, Church Avenue

3 bedroom semi. This is the nearest I can get for your budget close to Gosforth High Street. It looks like a forced sale (repo? probate?). Church Avenue is busy, especially at commuting times, but the location is very convenient for transport, some schools and shopping. Houses a little further off the main road command an extra £100K.

As you can see, most of the properties within your budget are not in central Gosforth. I haven't included Melton Park, Brunton Park, Kingston Park etc partly because I don't know them, and partly because I've run out time. They are all, I think, centres of respectability - which may be why we don't know many people who live there! So I have concentrated on those places which on the fringe of Gosforth, and can provide almost as good a set of amenities, without the 20% on the price tag which "Gosforth" brings. I hope this can give you some ideas at least.

I recommend that you look at the properties I've listed, and then you can do your own research on schools. Bear in mind that in Gosforth schools are still organised on the First-Middle-High school system, whilst the rest of Newcastle still uses the Primary-Secondary system. I don't care for the Middle School process, but Gosforth High is still the most highly-rated of the state schools in Newcastle, when it comes to "A" levels and Uni places.

You might also find that the addresses (find the postcodes in pdf docs, or elsehow) and you will be able to do further searches on Rightmove to get the details. Don't forget to use Property Bee, which will tell you how long properties have been on the market, which can add greatly to your understanding of the asking price.

HTH

db

Edited by deeplyblue

HOLA4411
I've done a trawl of Rightmove, and come up with some suggestions that might meet your £220 budget, on the assumption that you might well be able to remove a certain amount from the asking price, at least if you have finance in place. Most of the houses are listed on streets which I don't know personally, but are close to, and similar to, streets that I do know.

You said you wanted "a family house", so I've assumed a 3-bed semi as a minimum. There are other types of housing - especially older terraces elsewhere in the city which might suit you just as well, but I've assumed that you do want to be near-ish to Gosforth. If you are considering other parts of the city, let me know and I'll have a look at, for example, some of the "nicer" bits of Fenham. You also don't say what sort of ages your children are, so I don't know whether you need nursery or places where you can make them catch the bus or walk.

Here, then is a small selection of properties which would be ones I might consider if I were moving a young-ish family, and wanted to be fairly close to Gosforth. Let me know why they are all wrong for you, and I might be able to make a better guess at what would be right.

Here goes:

Kingsmere £219,950

RM: Kingsmere

4-bed, detached, repo (by the look of it), quite a nice little enclave, very edge of Gosforth, good bus service, rather a long way from Gosforth High Street and Metros. Kingsmere small estate of very recent build houses - rooms and gardens probably a bit cramped, but build quality not too bad.

South Gosforth OIEO £225,000

RM: South Gosforth

3-bed detached Quite a nice little area, but it is right next to the Freeman Hospital (big and growing), so parking is tightly controlled, you're also near S. Gosforth Metro. Obviously can be a bit noisy, but buses excellent and you can always pick up a pint of milk at the Freeman shop! Got some nice parkland quite close, and there are lots of buses, and your school access is quite good, I think. Property newish, and layout a bit cramped, but worth a look.

The Wynd, Kenton £200,000

RM: Kenton, The Wynd

Just a stone's throw from #1 (Kingsmere), but the "wrong" side of Kenton Road. Still a fairly quiet neighbourhood, but I wouldn't like to guarantee the schools situation. This one a traditional 3-bed semi with (by the look of the EPG) the need of some TLC. Proportions typical 3-bed semi. Probably over-priced, but this bit of Kenton gains from being just across the road from Gosforth.

Kenton, The Crossway. £249,950

RM: Kenton, The Crossway

5 bedroom semi-detached. This is above your budget, but it's been on the market since August 2008, so they may be prepared to talk turkey. Again, I don't know if Kenton feeds into the Gosforth school system, which must affect anyone with a family. However, this is the "nice" bit of Kenton, just a stone's throw from from the other Kenton property (#3 above) and Kenton Road, which is the "border" of Gosforth. This means you're a long way from Gosforth High Street, and from the metro system, but close to good bus routes both to central N/C and to the HIgh Street. Also good road links to the A1 (if that matters to you). There are a few local shops with basic amenities.

Westlands, High Heaton OIRO £226,000

RM: High Heaton

3 bedroom semi. 50s(?) style with a bit of garden. This is in High Heaton, but is only some 800 yards from property No 2 (South Gosforth). Again the property is a little above your limit, but has been on the market since July 2008, during which time they've reduced it by a total of 10K! A little talking should bring them down well below £220. High Heaton is another place where you'll find lots of professional families, and access to respectable schools - Heaton Manor (secondary school) is just down the road.

Church Avenue, Gosforth £219,950

RM: Gosforth, Church Avenue

3 bedroom semi. This is the nearest I can get for your budget close to Gosforth High Street. It looks like a forced sale (repo? probate?). Church Avenue is busy, especially at commuting times, but the location is very convenient for transport, some schools and shopping. Houses a little further off the main road command an extra £100K.

As you can see, most of the properties within your budget are not in central Gosforth. I haven't included Melton Park, Brunton Park, Kingston Park etc partly because I don't know them, and partly because I've run out time. They are all, I think, centres of respectability - which may be why we don't know many people who live there! So I have concentrated on those places which on the fringe of Gosforth, and can provide almost as good a set of amenities, without the 20% on the price tag which "Gosforth" brings. I hope this can give you some ideas at least.

I recommend that you look at the properties I've listed, and then you can do your own research on schools. Bear in mind that in Gosforth schools are still organised on the First-Middle-High school system, whilst the rest of Newcastle still uses the Primary-Secondary system. I don't care for the Middle School process, but Gosforth High is still the most highly-rated of the state schools in Newcastle, when it comes to "A" levels and Uni places.

You might also find that the addresses (find the postcodes in pdf docs, or elsehow) and you will be able to do further searches on Rightmove to get the details. Don't forget to use Property Bee, which will tell you how long properties have been on the market, which can add greatly to your understanding of the asking price.

HTH

db

If schools are important to you, I would avoid Heaton Manor if you can. Lots of money spent - little end result. Gosforth High is OK but not a reason to move to Gosforth in itself. Unfortunately, Newcastle has far too many private schools when compared to other cities. If Schools are your main consideration, I would look at Ponteland or Whitley Bay High areas - better schools and cheaper houses.

HOLA4412
If schools are important to you, I would avoid Heaton Manor if you can. Lots of money spent - little end result. Gosforth High is OK but not a reason to move to Gosforth in itself. Unfortunately, Newcastle has far too many private schools when compared to other cities. If Schools are your main consideration, I would look at Ponteland or Whitley Bay High areas - better schools and cheaper houses.

My own info on Heaton Manor is 20 years out of date, but I think that it still has West Jesmond Primary as one of its "feeder" schools, which keeps some quality into the intake, but I wouldn't send any very sensitive flowers there.

Of the schools in the Whitley Bay area I know virtually nothing, since the old Tyneside 6th form college (which used to be a very good place) has become part of a modern "tertiary college" and has doubtless suffered in budgetary terms and ethos.

I should also say that the prices in WB may be a bit better than those in the centre of Gosforth. However, the better "executive" estates are pricey, as are the period properties in Tynemouth.

db

HOLA4413

I'm going to stick my neck out here, as I know some people have a moral objection to private schooling, but I really don't understand why you'd be willing to pay £100k more for a house to get a better school catchment when you could send each kid to RGS for £60k spread over seven years. That way, you can live where you want to without worrying about it, and still be guaranteed a great quality education.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I have seen flats in Tynmouth being listed on rightmove as Gosforth :blink:

I am actually moving back to the NE soon. I am absolutely baffled how well prices have held up there. In the NW you can't move for 30% reductions.

Phoney

I do a daily check on RM for all properties within a 30 mile radius of Newcastle. A couple of days ago I found a lovely property which looked like a real bargain. And within 30 miles of N/C - well, sort of.

Jedburgh.

And that's a new definition of 30m from N/C.

Mind you I loved the directions. First 4/5 stages got you to the edge of N/C Then take the A69 to the Corbridge turnoff, go up the A68 until you're outside the house, just on the southern edge of Jedburgh.

On another point. I suspect that NE prices have held up quite substantially, because they did not rise as dramatically in the boom years. Did see a graph somewhere that showed this, but don't have it to hand.

db

HOLA4416
On another point. I suspect that NE prices have held up quite substantially, because they did not rise as dramatically in the boom years. Did see a graph somewhere that showed this, but don't have it to hand.

db

A myth perpetuated by EAs. Was true of the 1980s boom, but not this one. Halifax calculator says:

"House Price Calculator

An average house, in the South East region valued at £100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth £338381 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 238.4 percent.

An average house, in the North region valued at £100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth £316691 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 216.7 percent."

Very much similar. The Nationwide's UK figure is skewed upwards by the London figures, where the boom has been larger.

"An average house, in the Greater London region valued at £100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth £404316 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 304.3 percent."

HOLA4417

I think the boom has been just as big in the NE. The prices were not so high to begin with but they certainly grew beyond all sensible levels. I think it is potentially the area we'll see the greatest drops (eventually) as there isn't anything to support prices. Not many jobs or industries up there. Too reliant on public service jobs too, which wont be a good thing in 2010.

Phoney

PS Jedburgh LOL!!!!

HOLA4418
A myth perpetuated by EAs. Was true of the 1980s boom, but not this one. Halifax calculator says:

"House Price Calculator

An average house, in the South East region valued at £100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth £338381 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 238.4 percent.

An average house, in the North region valued at £100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth £316691 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 216.7 percent."

Very much similar. The Nationwide's UK figure is skewed upwards by the London figures, where the boom has been larger.

"An average house, in the Greater London region valued at £100000 in 1995 Q2 would be worth £404316 in 2007 Q2.

A change of 304.3 percent."

I got my impression from the graph at houseprices.uk.net

RegionalPrices_1999-2009_HousePrice.png

I looked especially at the period 2006-2009, where I do think the curve is slightly flatter than the English total, as well as the London one. However, I'm prepared to concede that this is only 1 bit of evidence.

I would like to think that NE prices will also fall by 25%-30%, but I suspect that, overall, and looking at selling not asking prices, the NE is only seeing a 10%-15% fall. If it's not flatter because of restraint during the boom, then it may just be stubbornness. "You lot may take that sort of price reduction, but I'm too proud for that sort of thing."

Example, I non-forced sale:

Rightmove: Hexham £400K

It's showing up as new, but has been on the market for 2 years now, with different agents. I don't know whether the owner is intransigent about prices, but the asking price in the summer of '07 was £425K, when it wasn't selling and it has only recently been reduced to £399,950. That's about 5% below a slightly unconvincing peak price. It's not typical, because most vendors in this position seem to have decided simply to "sit out" the crash - or "wait for the right buyer."

So now the market in the NE is, I suspect, also more sluggish than it is elsewhere - but that's purely an impression, not backed up with hard facts.

If anyone has further data which might help understand this one, I'd love to see it.

db

Edited by deeplyblue

HOLA4419

db, I think your graph pretty much sums up our point. The 'England' line is very similar to the 'North East' line, if you skewed it with a bit of the 'London' line. Compared to other non-London regions, our story has been very similar. The only proviso being that the boom started a bit later, I reckon about 2001 compared to 1999, but a crazy 2003/4 saw us catch up.

• 1 year later...
HOLA4420

Looking to move back to Gosforth as loved it there when I was a kid. I now love in London and dont have have never liked it, I went to a all girls school that is now closed but would like my sons to go to RGS. - Does anyone know of good estate agents in the area.

HOLA4421

Looking to move back to Gosforth as loved it there when I was a kid. I now love in London and dont have have never liked it, I went to a all girls school that is now closed but would like my sons to go to RGS. - Does anyone know of good estate agents in the area.

Just use your move, mouseprice, and property bee. But jan forster and rook matthew sayer are big

HOLA4422

I'm going to stick my neck out here, as I know some people have a moral objection to private schooling, but I really don't understand why you'd be willing to pay £100k more for a house to get a better school catchment when you could send each kid to RGS for £60k spread over seven years. That way, you can live where you want to without worrying about it, and still be guaranteed a great quality education.

Agree that RGS still a good place to send your children. Remember, however, that costs only start with the fees - you pay more for everything from school uniforms to Cadet Corps kit and - worst of all - having your kids keep up with the gear that the Smith-Jones' kids can afford. And, of course, since it's a grammar school, there is an entrance exam.

On the plus side, if your kids are really bright then there are scholarships and if they are inclined to take on the colour of their surroundings then having them in an atmosphere where bright=good and hard work pays off can be a real plus. Too many of the state schools are filled with people who will make life difficult for you if seem too bright, and really difficult for a boy who does his homework meticulously. (Girls get away with being a lot brighter and more conscientious than boys do. OTOH they have to, by law, have pink bedrooms with pink heart decorations. I've seen an awful lot of pink bedrooms in the last couple of years.)

Oh, yes, and RGS now (finally) take girls as well. There are some other private schools in Newcastle - Dame Allen's used to be one of the places to send girls before RGS would let them in. As to the others, I'm not well enough informed to comment.

One last thought - with the kids at RGS (or other private schools) you can, of course, live wherever it's convenient for work. But remember that your kids will have to come home through the territory of the local comp. Make sure their RGS uniform won't get them into trouble - which takes you back to one variety or other of Jesmond/Gosforth and one or two other enclaves.

db

• 3 years later...
HOLA4423

Well, we live fairly close to there, and it's not too bad, but you could probably do a little better for yourself.

You don't say how many bedrooms you want, or whether the schools are a consideration, or what sort of house you want. I've just done a check on Rightmove for NE3 + 1/2 a mile, and there are lots of properties on at less than 220,000 - and that's just the asking prices.

You also need to decide whether you want to be in one of the big "Parks" - like Brunton Park, or in the centre of Gosforth. Both have their pluses and minuses - the Parks are full of families, and most of the older buildings are pretty good buys (in so far as any house is a good buy, at the moment, but that's another story!), I would recommend avoiding anything in the "Great Park" development. I'm not very impressed by the houses themselves, and it's all rather cramped. It's also a long way from the schools and the shops if you don't have access to a car.

If you fancy a Victorian house, then you can find older terraced houses within easy reach of Gosforth under your budget, and they will be closer to the High Street.

I'm not very well up on the catchment areas for schools, so you'd have to research that yourself, depending on what age group your kids are. My children went to primary schools in Gosforth, but that was a long time ago.

If you want to be within easy reach of a particular part of Gosforth, then you should factor that in, as the NE3 area now covers a wide swathe of Newcastle and several rather different areas. Had you considered Heaton? If you need to be on that side of Gosforth, you will find that adding Heaton to your list will add to your options quite usefully. Heaton has some ropey bits, some quite good bits, and one or two seriously expensive bits. If you want a modern house, however, you're probably not going to want Heaton - there's a lot of "period" property there.

You don't say where you're moving from - do you know the Newcastle area?

db

HOLA4424

This is bad advice! Are you kidding me! you would not recommend "Great Park" development. I's fantastic and there are school and shop all around. There is in one in the Great Park!! The houses are large and not cramped and there is a very good bus service every 20 minutes! Clearly you have not been to Great park that much or do not know it as well as you think. As for Heaton - a grubby downmarket area full of students. I'd rather be in Great park any day. The town houses are HUGE and gpod value. There is also a shop on the estate and several around and an Asda close by. Newcastle Airport and the metro Centre are 10 minutes away.

Please ignore this person does not know what they are talking about.

HOLA4425

This is bad advice! Are you kidding me! you would not recommend "Great Park" development. I's fantastic and there are school and shop all around. There is in one in the Great Park!! The houses are large and not cramped and there is a very good bus service every 20 minutes! Clearly you have not been to Great park that much or do not know it as well as you think. As for Heaton - a grubby downmarket area full of students. I'd rather be in Great park any day. The town houses are HUGE and gpod value. There is also a shop on the estate and several around and an Asda close by. Newcastle Airport and the metro Centre are 10 minutes away.

Please ignore this person does not know what they are talking about.

It shows some depth of feeling to dredge up and object to a post from 4 years ago.

Are you trying to sell in the Great Park?

I recently sold in central Gosforth depressingly easily - nothing at all seems to be selling in Great Park at the moment.